+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Best tablet for the Principal in Technical; I was keeping an eye on Win8 convertibles as well for our Head, so he'd stop nicking our netbook every ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was keeping an eye on Win8 convertibles as well for our Head, so he'd stop nicking our netbook every time he was in lesson observations etc.

I bought him a netbook (well, 11.6" HP with an AMD E2-1800) last month. Win8 convertibles will be good in a year or two, I hope, but this first generation stuff is massively overpriced and the design is usually compromised in some way.

2. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

kenrick (2nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    We also have a W700, but we find we want to plug in alot of USB devices (keyboard, mouse etc) - As there is only 1 USB Port we have to use a USB Hub.
    The tablets that I've seen with usb ports only have 1 port on them. I've only had to use a hub once when I upgraded the os to windows 8 pro. I never use a usb keyboard as I have the bluetooth keyboard on it. And never use a mouse as it's touch screen.

Thank Post
    I'd suggest the HP Elitepad 900, its a nice looking tablet, running full 8 pro, atom based at the moment, but I believe there are plans for a i5 version.

There are also a number of accessory available, including expansion jacket, extended battery, dock, and coming in June is a keyboard Jacket.

I don't work for HP, but I really do like the elitepad, ever since I saw it at BETT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_boy1984 View Post
    I'd suggest the HP Elitepad 900, its a nice looking tablet, running full 8 pro, atom based at the moment, but I believe there are plans for a i5 version.

There are also a number of accessory available, including expansion jacket, extended battery, dock, and coming in June is a keyboard Jacket.

I don't work for HP, but I really do like the elitepad, ever since I saw it at BETT.
    No USB port or keyboard on that though, every little connection is an extra proprietary adapter just like the iTrinkit. It is disgusting for the environment and just general usefulness as they nickel and dime the product to death.

gsk

Thank Post
    I've trialled a w700 and liked it as a laptop replacement. But then realised that that's all it was - a laptop replacement. Except it was more expensive than an equivalent laptop and didn't have a touchpad. As a consequence, trying to do anything it the desktop environment was tricky at best and I wasn't really using it as a tablet at all. I think on paper a W8Pro tablet is an all in one device replacing both laptop and ipad but in reality isn't as good as either for the money.

In short, I would get them an ultrabook if W8 and domain compatibility is a must, or an iPad with a good RDP app if it for meetings and remote working.

On a seperate note, I don't get where windows RT fits into all this. It has the downsides of everything- fiddlyness of windows and non x86 arcitechture of a tablet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk View Post
    I've trialled a w700 and liked it as a laptop replacement. But then realised that that's all it was - a laptop replacement. Except it was more expensive than an equivalent laptop and didn't have a touchpad. As a consequence, trying to do anything it the desktop environment was tricky at best and I wasn't really using it as a tablet at all. I think on paper a W8Pro tablet is an all in one device replacing both laptop and ipad but in reality isn't as good as either for the money.

In short, I would get them an ultrabook if W8 and domain compatibility is a must, or an iPad with a good RDP app if it for meetings and remote working.

On a seperate note, I don't get where windows RT fits into all this. It has the downsides of everything- fiddlyness of windows and non x86 arcitechture of a tablet.
    No trial of the W510? Most of the benifits with few of the drawbacks, yes it is slower but it is not meant to replace a laptop, it is a comanion device like an iPad but more expandable and a much fairer comparison. Your not goint to use an iPad as a laptop replacement unless your work is answering emails and watching youtube.

RT is for battery life and small size, still more capable than an ipad IMO but less useful than an x86 one for compatibility, it is the direct competition for the ipad, same architecture, size, battery life etc. It still has a better RDP app on it for free than anything I have seen in iOS.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th April 2013 at 03:44 PM.

gsk

Thank Post
    We had dismissed atom-based tablets out of hand based on the fact that we are running a few sets of atom-based netbooks and after 12 months using them is beyond tedious. How does the W510 stack up price wise against the ipad? At the moment (and I am keen on having my view changed on this as my thoughts are changing almost daily) I feel that the iPad is the benchmark for tablet computing, while an i3 desktop/laptop with 4gb RAM and win7/8 is the benchmark for budget desktop computing. I see tablet computing as mainly content comsumption with maybe somecreation so internet research, creating prezzi presentations, light word processing and light image editing. Desktop computing I still see as the ideal tool for doing the bulk of your GCSE IT. Spreadsheet creation, Database creation, video editing, desktop publishing, web design etc. So they are two different purposes that are both very valid and useful.

I do feel that we should be running 2 types of devices as I haven't found one that will do both. So given a budget of 100% in a year, I don't know how the split should be made to give the optimum balance of immediate 1:1 access to tablet computing and tradition high-spec desktop computing. 50% Tablet and 50% PC might put us in a position where we can afford to replace half the computers that we would normally and allow us to give a 1:1 tablet to a whole year-group, but the tablet would only be a nexus or ipad mini. Do we need to look at a 70%/30% split so that the tablets are running W8 and integrate with the domain or will that leave us short on high-spec desktop computing capacity?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Best tablet for the Principal?"..... I was going to say something jokey like cyanide but then thought better of it ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The new atom stuff is not that bad and is much better under windows 8, pricewise I think the atom stuff is around the same area as a 64gb iPad. However with keyboard case, and the same adapter dongles to be comparable with the w8 stuff the iPad would cost more. Prices probably differ there though.

Thank Post
    Hate saying this, but after testing a few different options I'd go with an iPad.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Hate saying this, but after testing a few different options I'd go with an iPad.
    I echo this sentiment, I think we are all of the opinion we would like the functionality of an iPad in a Windows world a bit like loading up Windows on a MacBook! The truth is whilst the Apple kit is about as good as a tablet gets its usability outside of IOS world makes it a pain, when I can buy a Windows Tablet with the reliability and functionality of my iPad I will be first in the queue. I'm hoping the Lenovo with a Haswell inside will do the business... I suspect we will see a lot more like these Intel North Cape - Haswell ultrabook-tablet convertible reference design - YouTube

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    "Best tablet for the Principal?"..... I was going to say something jokey like cyanide but then thought better of it ;-)
    Finally!! - I've been looking at this thread for the last 10 days and everyone is taking it so seriously! When I saw the thread title, I assumed it was a Behind The Red Door job and my first thought was "Prozac". I was so disappointed when I opened it and found another genuine request for help...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12