+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, SimpleSi Journey Into IPads in Primaries in Technical; Well, one of my schools is having delivered 15 pads for class use and 6 for teacher use so I'm ...

Thank Post

SimpleSi Journey Into IPads in Primaries

Well, one of my schools is having delivered 15 pads for class use and 6 for teacher use so I'm now emabrking on using them in schools for real (in all other cases I've had one or 2 either just for headteacher/slt to use on Facebook at home) or in Foundation as tools to do the EYFS profile.

But now we are on for real.

So I aim to document my journey and ask all the silly questions that I'm famous for to save others having to face the embarrassment of doing so.

Anyway - first thing I discovered is that I don't have to take device home any more to set one up originally because of proxy issues.

When setting one up from the packet it doesn't give you option of choosing a proxy setting and therefore fails BUT if you press the little button then you get a menu that allows you to go into the full wifi settings and then we are off to the races.

But may be not

It still seems that some sort of blocking is occuring (this in Lancs CLEO Land) when it comes to doing IOS updates. I can download the update but it will not verify the update when I am on the schools network- as soon as I switched to using my 'droid hotspot then it did verify and carried on with update. This happened on both IPod and IPad devices.

Since all devices I'm pulling out of the packet need this doing - its a bit of bind

Simon

PS Links to stuff (already buired in here on Edugeek or elsewhere) on using IPads as both teacher tools and learning devices for primaries greagfully received.

I would like this thread to be about practical issues rather than (I wouldn't have wasted money on them etc )

Thank Post
    What Management software are you using? Profile Manager or Meraki or Other Cloud based solution?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It still seems that some sort of blocking is occuring (this in Lancs CLEO Land) when it comes to doing IOS updates. I can download the update but it will not verify the update when I am on the schools network- as soon as I switched to using my 'droid hotspot then it did verify and carried on with update. This happened on both IPod and IPad devices.
    The iOS update app on the iPad doesn't support proxy servers. It will be trying to update the iPad directly not via the proxy that will be the issue.

Thank Post
    What Management software are you using? Profile Manager or Meraki or Other Cloud based solution?
    Your new here aren't you?

ANd not dealt with me much before?

This is IPads out of the box - I've got some sort of magic charging/syncing box coming but no idea how to use it yet - do you think this will sort the problem out - just get one updated and then the magic sync box will sort it out for me- that'd be very nice!

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Your new here aren't you?

ANd not dealt with me much before?

This is IPads out of the box - I've got some sort of magic charging/syncing box coming but no idea how to use it yet - do you think this will sort the problem out - just get one updated and then the magic sync box will sort it out for me- that'd be very nice!

Simon
    Haha, Nice to meet you too. My boss has just told me about you

I'm sure your magic box will help you :P

6. 2 Thanks to SovietRussia:

FN-GM (27th March 2013), SimpleSi (27th March 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread