+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, lightspeed Management without a mac? in Technical; We've got 12 ipads, and we've bought Lightspeed to manage them. All looks good, except the first instrucion on the ...
    Bev

Thank Post

lightspeed Management without a mac?

We've got 12 ipads, and we've bought Lightspeed to manage them. All looks good, except the first instrucion on the lightspeed deployment guide is to use 'Apple Configurator' to enable supervision.

unfortunately, we don't have a new mac in school. There is one older macbook, but Apple Configurator requires OSX lion, and the macbook is too old for Lion.

Is it really not possible to manage these iPads without buying a new mac?

Thank Post
    Are you using Lightspeed Mobile Device Manager ? Its web based if you are. https://lsmdm.com/

Bev

Thank Post
    Yes, I am using Lightspeed, and I've got the website all sorted and my ipads are all connected to it, but the kids can just remove the profile as the ipads aren't in 'supervised mode'

Apparantly, in order to set up the ipads correctly to work with lightspeed, you have to 'enable supervised mode' on them, and you need to use Apple Configurator to do that.

Thank Post
    I'd call Lightspeed support to clarify - 01277 240640

5. Thanks to vyperz from:

Eappariello (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Edit: ignore this post - I'm just wrong

You need the iPhone configuration utility - free download from Apple. It will run on a Windows machine. Not as advanced as the Apple Configurator, but given that you've got Lightspeed MDM, you should be fine.

Lightspeed are on here too. Give @Eappariello a nudge.
    Last edited by jmak; 26th March 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    To supervise iPad devices YOU HAVE TO USE Apple Configurator. Using iPhone Configuration Utility WILL NOT supervise your devices.

You MUST use Apple Configurator, which is a bit of a pain, but you can understand why Apple have done this.

Btw... Supervising your devices will allow you to do more stuff like "Deny uninstalling of apps", but you should be able to lock down the profile easily without supervision by putting on the profile a removal password.

(Students can still remove the Lightspeed MDM Policy though, but the restrictions will still be installed as that policy needs a password, that you can set in the web console)

And no, you do not need to supervise your devices to manage them, its easier if you do, but it will still work without.

If you got any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by SovietRussia; 26th March 2013 at 05:47 PM.

8. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

Eappariello (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Bev,
    SovietRussia (The contributer here not the concept ), is spot on. Supervised mode enabled some features such as Single App mode, Global proxy, disabling imessage, and stopping app removal etc, but is not an essential step to be able to use other management features, restrictions, and app deployment.
    We have put a blue "supervised" banner next to any restriction that needs the devices to be in supervised mode.
    Also, enabling supervised mode will disable many personalisation features such as the ability to sync with iTunes on any device other than the Mac that you used to enable supervised mode. So generally speaking you would only use supervised mode if it is a school owned device that changes hands, and does not need personalisation.
    Do let us know if you have other question, either here or give the support chaps a call as vyperz mentioned.
    Simon

Thank Post
    Bev,

It is not possible to lock a MDM profile. However we will send a real time email alert when any MDM profile is removed, and if you go into the devices section on the blue ribbon, you will see several reports and one just for devices that have had their MDM profile removed.
    When you remove a MDM profile you also remove all restrictions and Apps deployed with the MDM. So, if you use the MDM to set up the wifi settings, and keep the wifi password secret, its a great way of deterring students from removing the MDM profile as they will loose Internet access.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Yes, I am using Lightspeed, and I've got the website all sorted and my ipads are all connected to it, but the kids can just remove the profile as the ipads aren't in 'supervised mode'

Apparantly, in order to set up the ipads correctly to work with lightspeed, you have to 'enable supervised mode' on them, and you need to use Apple Configurator to do that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread