+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad / Apple TV / Licensing - Deployment HELP! in Technical; Hi Everyone This is my first post but i've been following others for a few weeks now and they've been ...

Thank Post

iPad / Apple TV / Licensing - Deployment HELP!

Hi Everyone

This is my first post but i've been following others for a few weeks now and they've been a great help so thanks Apple deployment is all fairly new to me and i'm learning as i'm going along much like most people i'd imagine but would like some further guidance if you can help with the following...

I've been tasked to set up 30ipads for a School to be used with 2 apple tvs all in the same class.

They haven't got a mac so can't use Apple Config to manage them so im going use Meraki as this seems to of worked well for others.

Eventually they will have a charge/sync trolley connected to a laptop running iTunes but until then for the first few ipads I have created an image on one which i am hoping to backup to Itunes and restore to the others. They want to use the same Apple ID on them all, will it be possible to do this on all 30? and also is there a limit on how many of them will be able to mirror to the apple tvs?

Also in regard to the paid apps...to start with they want to try a few on the master image i've created then when they are happy with the ones they want to use and have signed up to the VPP scheme will use that to buy apps for the rest of them but it seems to be the case that you have to create a brand new apple id and the current apps you've paid for don't transfer over is that right?

If you can think of any other obstacles or things i need to be aware of setting these up it would be appreciated

Cheers
    K.

Thank Post
    First of all, good luck!

Yeah, setup the one iPad with an Apple ID that is like trial@yourschooldomain and install a few paid apps to it. Mess around with them, see what they want etc.

Now create a backup (You may have to remove the paid apps and your Apple ID first, and DEFINITELY remove Meraki profile!)

Then open up the iPads, restore from the backup you took
    Then on each iPad, sign in with the same Apple ID (The one you have VPP tied to)
    Enroll each iPad into Meraki

Use Meraki to push the VPP Codes to the iPads (Word of warning, you will need to type in the Apple ID password every time you install the app)

If you had Configurator, you could make it much easier.

(I may have missed a few things out, but this is what i've gathered when doing research, as I also have 49 to deploy this half term!)

3. Thanks to SovietRussia from:

KTECH (22nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, that helps a lot

I've already set a few up for them to 'mess' about with and test the apps etc, and enrolled them in meraki so i can see how it works. So far i've just been restoring the 'master' image i made through itunes and then renaming the ipad and installing the meraki profile. When i get the trolley and put the rest of them on do you know they will all sync ok with different iPad names but all have the same Apple ID?

Also can you confirm please that I will have to set up a completely new Apple ID and a new Meraki profile when they are ready to go with the VPP?

I have noticed a lot of people saying Apple Configurator makes the job a lot easier, i think its just the initial cost of the mac as they haven't got one already otherwise i'd of used that instead.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Hi, Im still waiting for an answer on this if anyone can help

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KTECH View Post

I've already set a few up for them to 'mess' about with and test the apps etc, and enrolled them in meraki so i can see how it works. So far i've just been restoring the 'master' image i made through itunes and then renaming the ipad and installing the meraki profile. When i get the trolley and put the rest of them on do you know they will all sync ok with different iPad names but all have the same Apple ID?
    Yes - not problem.
    Also can you confirm please that I will have to set up a completely new Apple ID and a new Meraki profile when they are ready to go with the VPP?
    Certainly a couple of new Apple IDs (one for manager and one for facilitator- see Apple (United Kingdom) - Education - Volume Purchase Programme). Not sure about Meraki - would be interested to know what happens if you try using the current one.
    I have noticed a lot of people saying Apple Configurator makes the job a lot easier, i think its just the initial cost of the mac as they haven't got one already otherwise i'd of used that instead.
    Definitely easier with Apple Configurator than messing around with iTunes.

7. Thanks to iom100 from:

KTECH (22nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    thanks for the reply i might try and convince them to invest in a mac mini to use with the trolley and apple configurator

Thank Post
    I would insist on a macbook pro to use the right software to set them all up. If they're paying for 30 iPads, then £1000 is not a lot more for it.

Thank Post
    They have got the ipads through some funding and don't think they'll have enough spare to stretch to a macbook pro which is why i'm looking at a mac mini which could sit on top of the trolley.

Can anyone tell me what advantage using Apple Configurator would have over Meraki?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Mac mini should be fine for running Apple Configurator. Note that you will need an extra adapter to connect a VGA monitor. Otherwise a HDMI monitor is an extra expense.

Apple Configurator allows you to configure all the same things as Meraki, but also has features for backing up the devices. Crucially, it also allows you to deploy apps (free and paid for) without any input on the device itself. This means I can deploy an app to 16 ipads (via a USB sync hub thing) in minutes.

12. Thanks to iom100 from:

KTECH (22nd April 2013)

Thank Post
    They have got the ipads through some funding and don't think they'll have enough spare to stretch to a macbook pro which is why i'm looking at a mac mini which could sit on top of the trolley.

Can anyone tell me what advantage using Apple Configurator would have over Meraki?

Thanks
    I agree with Mac Mini - I'm not aware of any need for Macbook Pro over the Mini; I have a personal Mac Mini which is currently on my desk at work for testing this sort of thing.

One other advantage of Apple Configurator, if it applies in your scenario, is that of reusing VPP codes. If you deploy a VPP code using Meraki (or any other non-Apple solution) to a given iPad, even if you remove the app via Meraki, you cannot reuse that VPP code again. The only way this is possible is if the iPad is 'Supervised' which requires Apple Configurator. See this post of mine for fuller details to save retyping it.

You shouldn't need a new Meraki profile - Meraki doesn't care what iTunes accounts you have or don't have; if you give it a VPP code it will use it to deploy the app to a device - iTunes on the device then kicks in and handles the installation of it, presumably checking whether that VPP code is valid for the app you've sent it with, and then prompting for the password of whoever is signed into iTunes on the device. Meraki cannot send user permissions to the device; only Apple can do this (and thus install apps without a password) via Configurator.

Peter

14. Thanks to howartp from:

KTECH (2nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info Peter. How have you got on with your testing of using Configurator? In some of the documentation ive seen it mentioned that you can use meraki and apple configurator with each other, would you advise that or know the advantage of doing it as oppose to using one OR the other to manage them?

Also... wondered if anyone can help with these issues when using a charge/sync unit with iTunes...

Is there a way of being able to move apps into folders and sync them to all iPads? Using a charge/sync unit has been working ok for getting the apps on to the iPads but I haven’t been able to organise them. Also have you come across an error before when multiple iPads are connected to iTunes that says “iTunes could not backup the ipad ‘name’ because a session could not be started with the iPad”? Everything still works but it’s just annoying when that message pops up for x amount of iPads each time they are connected.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info Peter. How have you got on with your testing of using Configurator? In some of the documentation ive seen it mentioned that you can use meraki and apple configurator with each other, would you advise that or know the advantage of doing it as oppose to using one OR the other to manage them?
    Hi KTech.

Right, I have two test devices - an iPad and an iPad Mini.

Both were initially set up manually, and I installed some apps on them from the App store just like any home user using our main school iTunes account.

I then connected both to Meraki and deployed further apps to them signed in as the main iTunes account.

I then logged into the Mini as my personal iTunes account (Settings > iTunes > Sign Out, etc) and deployed further apps with Meraki - these are now associated with MY iTunes account, and automatically synced onto MY iPhone and my OWN iPad Mini at home.

I then removed some apps from both devices in Meraki - it doesn't release the VPP codes. Nor does it remove them from the respective iTunes account, so I still have those paid apps on my iTunes account for me to redownload if I leave this establishment (if I so wished). Not desirable.

I then rebuilt the iPad using Apple Configurator. It wiped the apps I had on it. I didn't actually try deploying/revoking apps at this point, I'll take Apples word for it that you can revoke apps used via the configurator.

Now, note that I didn't remove the device from Meraki before I wiped it. The entry is still there. When I rebuilt the iPad, I gave it a different name.

I then reconnected the iPad (now apple-ified) to Meraki. I logged into Meraki and the old device entry was still there, with the device Online and with 'Missing Apps'. I hit the redeploy button and it sent my apps, including VPP'd apps, back to this device because it recognised it was the same device (presumably Serial No and/or Mac address?).

Thus for us, we don't need to use Apple Configurator to allow us to revoke VPP apps. When a user leaves, they hand back the device, we wipe it then reconnect to Meraki and re-push all the VPP apps to it. No cost to us of repurchasing VPPs, no manual installation of apps via iTunes, no syncing/backing up to a PC or Mac.

The only issue is the moral issue of instructing a member of staff when they leave us they cannot use the apps we've bought them - like they're gonna listen - but given Apple's deployment methods with regards MDM, not allowing username/password to be pushed by MDM, I don't see we have any choice.

On another tangent, if you plug a non-Supervised iPad into a PC (USB) you can browse the Photo stream and copy pics out. If you try this on a Supervised device, computer sez no.

Peter

17. Thanks to howartp from:

reggiep (20th September 2013)

Thank Post
    I know this is an old thread but I've just stumbled across it and very happy to read what howartp has wrote above. If this is correct and that wiping a device and reconnecting to Meraki will allow me to re-push the same apps out (more importantly the paid apps) that saves us having to buy a Mac and a Syncing station.

Howartp; can you confirm if, a few months on, all is still working as described? I have Meraki configured with all our free apps and will begin looking at paid apps if what you say is still true. Granted they'll take a bit longer to setup over the wireless but atleast it's something that can be done remotely.

Another quick question; if I chose to do this and not use a Mac I'm assuming the initial setup would just be 'login with schools default itunes account on device, connect to Meraki'. Right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Bot View Post
    Howartp; can you confirm if, a few months on, all is still working as described?

I'm assuming the initial setup would just be 'login with schools default itunes account on device, connect to Meraki'. Right?
    Yes, BUT....

Meraki does as I described - repushes the same code to a device it recognises (so don't remove the device from Meraki, just wipe it and reinstall profile)

BUT... if you are using different Apple IDs on the devices, ie end-users own IDs, when the code had been re-pushed to the device, Apple will complain that that code has been redeemed by a different apple ID.

If you are sharing the institutions Apple ID on multiple devices, it will install ok as the code redemption matches the original installation account

If you get a conflict where Apple says the code has been used, you either have to sign in on the new device with the old itunes account temporarily whilst you redeem the code again (not sure if future app updates will also need the original account each time), OR edit the list of codes for that app in Meraki so it no longer has the known code available - it will therefore issue one of your unused codes.

Peter

20. Thanks to howartp from:

Killer_Bot (9th August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Peter.

Sounds like it could still work. The only thing that concerns me is having to give Staff the credentials for the generic account (though of course there won't be a credit card on file) in order for us to push out the apps.

The ideal solution I think would be a Mac and a sync station though it's hard to justify the costs and the budget of most my schools are typically low. We need to setup 44 devices and ideally be able to manage them remotely. I understand IOS7 is bringing more features in relation to an MDM so hopefully that will aleviate some of these issues.

I think what I will do for now is setup a few devices and then push the apps out and see what happens. In terms of updating IOS would we need to collect these in and hook them up through iTunes? That would be fun!

I

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread