+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Add Shared Outlook Calendar to Email app? in Technical; Our new headteacher uses a Samsung Galaxy Note. He would like his school Outlook info sync'd with his phone. I ...
    Thank Post

Add Shared Outlook Calendar to Email app?

Our new headteacher uses a Samsung Galaxy Note. He would like his school Outlook info sync'd with his phone. I have managed to add his mailbox and personal calendar to his phone, however, I haven't been able to find a way to add the shared Global School Calendar and SLT calendar to the Calendar app.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I've briefly heard about Google Sync, but does this need to be installed on his PC in his office. Also, if his PA adds anything on to his calendar from her PC (that doesn't have Google Sync installed) will it sync to the phone? Another question is if someone logs in to the PC in his office, will it screw up the Google Sync?

Alternatively, can the above be achieved without Google Sync altogether?
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 21st March 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Do you have an exchange server?

Can be done with google apps and exchange but if it's just a shared calendar internally this may be more difficult

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Shared Calendars are a bit of a PITA, because unlike personal calendars, Google Apps Sync won't touch them, and they can't be published online using ICS via Outlook.

I ended up writing an exporter that uses Exchange Web Services to pull the calendar direct from our Exchange server and convert it to ICS using a library. I have a scheduled task that runs this a few times a day and uploads the resulting .ics file to our website, which can then be imported into Google Calendar. Unfortunately our specific school calendar ID is hardcoded into it and creating a UI to configure it for general use is on the back-burner at the moment.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 21st March 2013 at 04:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cromertech View Post
    Do you have an exchange server?

Can be done with google apps and exchange but if it's just a shared calendar internally this may be more difficult
    Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention the shared calendar is coming from an Exchange 2007 server.

Thank Post
    Depending on how your Exchange is setup there's an android app called Teamsite Calendar Sync might be a good fit. If you have exchange web services available it would work. Although, I believe that requires Exchange 2010...

Thank Post
    Does anybody have any experience of Teamsite Calendar Sync with Office 365 for Education?
    For us we use shared calendars from a shared mailbox for our IT Room bookings so we're keen to investigate!
    Thanks

Thank Post
    It works for Office 365. I'm not sure what the difference is between Office 365 and Office 365 for education...
    You could always try and then request a refund if it doesn't work.

Google allows you to try any app for 15 minutes before you are charged.
    After that you can request a refund using this form.
    https://support.google.com/googleplay/contact/apps_refunds_payments_issues/​​

Thank Post
    I decided this was not possible without a disproportionate amount of work, so instead set up a standard user account mail box with the appropriate people with access permissions on it. All the people who need it have access to it and one of them can delegate access to others. We just create it as a second exchange account on peoples phones with just the calendar synced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread