+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad Mirroring - AppleTV or AirPlay app? in Technical; Plays video fine on my PC and the MAC we have in the office!...
    Thank Post
    Plays video fine on my PC and the MAC we have in the office!

Thank Post
    Looks like majority of our schools will have to use Reflector as AirServer isnt compatible with Windows XP

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I've tried AirServer and it's very good. Download/install the Windows version and it runs as a service. I successfully managed to get an iPod Touch to connect to a wired Windows 7 workstation on the same subnet without any issues at all.

The fundamental flaw however is the App you're using must support mirroring or AirServer. All the popular Apps do, but the less popular educational Apps probably won't.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've tried AirServer and it's very good. Download/install the Windows version and it runs as a service. I successfully managed to get an iPod Touch to connect to a wired Windows 7 workstation on the same subnet without any issues at all.

The fundamental flaw however is the App you're using must support mirroring or AirServer. All the popular Apps do, but the less popular educational Apps probably won't.
    What do you mean about the fundamental flaw? You can access Airplay by double-clicking the home button and then scrolling to the right to reveal the Airplay button. Once it's hooked up to AirServer and mirroring the display on the computer, you can go into any app you'd like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    What do you mean about the fundamental flaw? You can access Airplay by double-clicking the home button and then scrolling to the right to reveal the Airplay button. Once it's hooked up to AirServer and mirroring the display on the computer, you can go into any app you'd like.
    Hmmm not in my testing you can't. Once you've enabled AirPlay it won't just automatically clone on a Windows screen for example. When running Safari for example, it'll only mirror when playing streaming video and not actual webpages which is sometimes useful.

Thank Post
    Hmmm not in my testing you can't. Once you've enabled AirPlay it won't just automatically clone on a Windows screen for example. When running Safari for example, it'll only mirror when playing streaming video and not actual webpages which is sometimes useful.
    Really? Works fine for me, I've just this second tested it. I'm using an iPad 2 connected to the school wifi and a Windows 7 PC wired to the same network. Check AirServer is running on the PC, double-tap home button on iPad, swipe right, hit Airplay button and it displays the whole iPad screen on the Windows monitor.

I can then go into any app, even Safari and see the whole contents of it and the sound plays through the PC speakers at the same time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Airplay mirroring will only work on iPads from the iPad 2 onwards, the iPhone 4S onwards, the iPad Mini and I guess the last gen iPod touch, the last one I'm not so sure about. By the sounds of it, you have an earlier device which treated AirPlay like you describe. Otherwise you should be able to mirror anything.

8. Thanks to Norphy from:

Michael (22nd March 2013)

Thank Post
    Yeah, need the iPod Touch 5th Gen (taller screen like the iPhone 5), says on the AirServer website.

Thank Post
    On further investigation mirroring works on an iPad 2 and iPad 3 running iOS 6. Even with an iPod Touch (not sure which gen) running iOS 6 (as I wrote above) will only mirror certain Apps. I have to say though it is brilliant and excellent value. Much better than Apple TV.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    Just watch out for Airplay starting with the PC not the user!

We had issues where one teacher who normally taught in a room set a password to secure it - but when another teacher logged on their profile did nt have a password assigned and 6th form students thought it amusing to airplay their personal devices to the rooms data project...!
    Just as a followup, I'm now testing Airserver, and the password is stored in plaintext in the "Password" key in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AirServer, so it makes sense that passwords weren't global. You should be able to set the password by setting that key through group policy though - not that I see much reason to have it start with the machine, but it may help set up some basic protection.. until someone leaks it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123