+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad Mirroring - AppleTV or AirPlay app? in Technical; Up to you, either should work. I've gone for a PCI card because they're not quite so nickable and the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Up to you, either should work. I've gone for a PCI card because they're not quite so nickable and the aerials are a little more powerful. This works well:

Edimax EW-7612PIN V2 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n PCI-E Adapter with 3dBi High-Gain Detachable Antennas: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thank Post
    thank-you VERY much. Looking forward to trying this out tomorrow.

Have you ever tried the Hive Bonjour gateway?

Again the only thing im thinking of is that we have an admin wifi and a student wifi, if students want to show their screen to the board as well as teachers, we cant have the teachers on admin and students on the student wifi as airplay button doesn't show (just tried it)

Also if you push your device to a computer connected to an interactive whiteboard, would you be able to control the app from the whiteboard? I dont think that's possible, but would be really cool if you could!
    Last edited by Darylrese; 14th March 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1) We tried the AeroHive product but didn't get too far with it. I'm sure we'd have got it going if we had the time but sadly we didn't, we needed a quick fix.

2) Your staff and student wifi networks must be on separate VLANs again. Apart from putting your teacher devices on the student network or vice versa, there's not an awful lot you can do about that. That said, our guest wireless network is locked down to only allow ports 80 and 443 through, I don't know if yours would be the same?

3) Not a chance. All the iOS device is doing with AirPlay is encoding what's on the screen into an H264 video stream and sending it to a player. It's nothing fancy but there would be no way of interacting with it on the whiteboard or the PC without some kind of fancy app on the iPhone and Apple probably wouldn't let that onto the app store.

Thank Post
    Reflector App is another. Works on all platforms, deployable and very good pricing.

Thank Post
    Thanks

You had any problems with the audio with airplayserver? Sometimes it works, othertimes it doesn't no matter what device is connected.

Can't even get Reflector to launch when airplay is turned on

Tried installing Hive Gateway, can deploy it and ping it but the hive manager isnt picking it up
    Last edited by Darylrese; 15th March 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm looking at this too. To anyone with AirServer set up: I assume you have passcodes installed on it. If so, if someone logs in with the passcode, how long does that device gain access for? i.e. if a teacher wanted to show a student's work on an iPad they had, could she connect it, then when the AirPlay session is over, does the password need to be re-entered, or does the session persist? If so, any idea how long?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hive just phoned me up after registering for the free bonjour gateway and they supply AP's and such and hopefully can give me a hand getting the gateway to work in our school.

Driftingashore - Im on the free trial at the moment but i just set a password to test for you and if you turn airplay off on the device then back on it doesnt ask for the password again, only the first time. I did it all within minutes though so im not sure if theres a time limit. Ill leave it logged in for awhile to test for you.

Will keep you updated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingashore View Post
    I'm looking at this too. To anyone with AirServer set up: I assume you have passcodes installed on it. If so, if someone logs in with the passcode, how long does that device gain access for? i.e. if a teacher wanted to show a student's work on an iPad they had, could she connect it, then when the AirPlay session is over, does the password need to be re-entered, or does the session persist? If so, any idea how long?

Thanks
    Not sure if there is a time limit. The teacher can very quickly and easily change the password if need be though, to stop kids from continually connecting to AirServer without being asked to.

Thank Post
    OK so had it connected for half an hour, didnt log me out or prompt for the password. Turned airplay off and back on and didn't ask for the password again from my iphone 4s.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    We are moving from the reflector App to Apple TV for the following reasons:

1. Less lag.
    2. Less messing about updating the app on numerous teachers desk when updates are available.

Thank Post

Thanks
    Just watch out for Airplay starting with the PC not the user!

We had issues where one teacher who normally taught in a room set a password to secure it - but when another teacher logged on their profile did nt have a password assigned and 6th form students thought it amusing to airplay their personal devices to the rooms data project...!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    Just watch out for Airplay starting with the PC not the user!

We had issues where one teacher who normally taught in a room set a password to secure it - but when another teacher logged on their profile did nt have a password assigned and 6th form students thought it amusing to airplay their personal devices to the rooms data project...!
    Hah! I'll be sure to keep that in mind! I had thought that setting it up to start with the PC would be the most versatile way forward, but perhaps not!

Quote Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post
    OK so had it connected for half an hour, didnt log me out or prompt for the password. Turned airplay off and back on and didn't ask for the password again from my iphone 4s.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for testing. It's a bit of a shame there's not a setting for disconnecting to end the session. Maybe I'll send them an email and hope that they'll add an option. You never know!

Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    Not sure if there is a time limit. The teacher can very quickly and easily change the password if need be though, to stop kids from continually connecting to AirServer without being asked to.
    Fair point.. but I have to ask: does changing the password end the session for a user? You'd have hoped, but it's worth asking.

Thank Post

Fair point.. but I have to ask: does changing the password end the session for a user? You'd have hoped, but it's worth asking.

Unfortunatly not mate, i just tried changing the password does nothing until you turn airplay off then back on thenit asks for the new password. Devices already connected with old password continue to show their screen.

Thank Post
    Thanks. If what I think you're saying is happening, it's not such a big deal. The teacher stops AirServer, changes the password, and restarts it for continued use. I'd say a misbehaving student with a previously authorised device is an edge case. Perhaps there's a bit of work to do in this regard, but I suppose it's time that I get off my butt and do some testing for myself. I just have to get over my hate of installing time limited demo software

Thank Post
    i had a little mess with Airserver a few months ago, all went well until i tried to play videos on the ipad and Airserver crashed on the classroom laptop?
    pretty high spec laptop too....
    don't know if there's been any updates to Airserver since, but since nobody as asked me ive not looked at it since...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast