+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, LearnPad = very impressed. in Technical; Downloaded the trial version of LearnPad today learnpad.co/ and installed on to my Android tablet. It does way more than ...

Thank Post

LearnPad = very impressed.

Downloaded the trial version of LearnPad today learnpad.co/ and installed on to my Android tablet. It does way more than I expected and finally gives me a locked down tablet to put in primary schools. You can control all the tablets either from the website or by scanning a bar code which makes it flexible and you can create and deploy a profile / desktop based on a subject or keystage in no time. For example I had a profile based on ancient Egyptians and then within seconds had turned the tablet in to a device aimed at SEN.

They also have a large app store with plenty of free educational apps that can be deployed to all devices with a click.

Not much more I can say apart from WOW.

NB - Why no tablet forum on this site or did I not look properly.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 6th March 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    NB - Why no tablet forum on this site or did I not look properly.
    Probably time to rename the "netbooks, PDAs and Phones" forum, which says "Post all your iPad, tablet, netbook and phone questions here."

On a more interesting note what tablet are you running the Learnpad profile on? And have you managed to find out how much it costs standalone? I had a play with some of their own tablets at BETT and they were OK, but I thought that the hardware wasn't as good as the best Android tablets.

Edit: should have said that I thought the system was great!
    Last edited by jmak; 5th March 2013 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Didn't look as positive as I'd intended

Thank Post
    We have 4 Toshiba At300's on trial with learnpad accounts.

It's probably the most promising thing we have seen so far.

Rob

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No iPad support

Thank Post
    Had learnpads for a number of years, I believe we were one of the first to get them, so we have seen the company and product go from strength to strength.

They have recently joined forces with Toshiba which makes the hardware a little better.

Great for being locked down and updating and they generally really do just work.

However.... we have a class set of learnpads and a significant number of ipads. Staff and students are still drawn towards the ipad, and with the ipad and its apps being more widely advertised the learnpads do often get over looked.

Thank Post
    what tablet are you running the Learnpad profile on?
    I tested it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. I will need to trial a device from the company as I would rather pay more for something that is going to work.

And have you managed to find out how much it costs standalone?
    not yet

However.... we have a class set of learnpads and a significant number of ipads. Staff and students are still drawn towards the ipad, and with the ipad and its apps being more widely advertised the learnpads do often get over looked.
    Thanks for the info, are you primary or secondary? The primary schools I look after are only just thinking about getting tablets.

Jon
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    What tablet are you running LearnPad on ... Are you using learnpads own tablets or an alternative 3rd party one.

Thank Post
    Went to visit a primary school that have been using LearnPads for about 6 Months and the feedback I got from them was outstanding. They really love them and use them constantly.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Is anyone else out there using Learnpads at the moment? I have been asked to get some impartial reviews.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Our bigest problem is getting Apps that are not within learnpad, you break Googles useage policy if you don't get tehm via PLAY or get direct authorisation from the author.

And the delivery of the lessons to the device sometimes is a bit random.

We have Toshiba in next wednesday to review them.

Rob

Thank Post
    We just ask Learnpad to put the apps on for us and invoice us. they do all the leg work with the author and licensing.

Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Our bigest problem is getting Apps that are not within learnpad, you break Googles useage policy if you don't get tehm via PLAY or get direct authorisation from the author.

Rob

Thank Post
    We just ask Learnpad to put the apps on for us and invoice us. they do all the leg work with the author and licensing.
    That makes them much more appealing. I was wondering about that issue myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post

Rob
    Thanks for your info. How long have you had the Learnpads? Which one did you go for? Is the issue with the lesson delivery a connectivity problem, or a hardware one?

I have read some reviews which say that the Learnpads themselves are underpowered and can be sluggish - is this something you have experienced?

I am just trying to gather as much information as I can, as we haven't seen these in action and the company no longer provides demo units - so if we go ahead with a purchase I want to make sure we are doing the right thing!!

Thanks

Thank Post
    We have the original Learnpad 1 units which work fine, the kids and staff have not come to me and said anything about them being slow and unresponsive. We are just looking into buying another 60 of the latest versions, which are faster and have more functionality.

From a management point of view they are all controllable, lockable, remote installation of apps from the web, the devices "poll" the learnpad server every 30 mins or so to check for any new apps or configuration changes or you can "push" apps to them.

The guys at learnpad have been great at keeping in touch and are at the end of the phone for any support. We have had just 1 unit fail in 18 months and it just needed re-flashing.

The only downside over the iPad is we can't find an iMovie alternative in the Google play store - yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    We have the original Learnpad 1 units which work fine, the kids and staff have not come to me and said anything about them being slow and unresponsive. We are just looking into buying another 60 of the latest versions, which are faster and have more functionality.

From a management point of view they are all controllable, lockable, remote installation of apps from the web, the devices "poll" the learnpad server every 30 mins or so to check for any new apps or configuration changes or you can "push" apps to them.

The guys at learnpad have been great at keeping in touch and are at the end of the phone for any support. We have had just 1 unit fail in 18 months and it just needed re-flashing.

The only downside over the iPad is we can't find an iMovie alternative in the Google play store - yet.
    Sounds great!

Did you purchase the additional Classview software that goes with it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast