+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, iPad use for exams in Technical; Hi, I'm sure this has been raised before but I couldn't find anything using that little search box thingy up ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

iPad use for exams

Hi,

I'm sure this has been raised before but I couldn't find anything using that little search box thingy up there in the right hand corner .

In a nutshell, a visually impaired student wishes to use an iPad in all their exams. This IS permitted by the appropriate exam board, but what they don't think about is the technical implications. My question is, has anyone already used iPads in an exam situation in their school? How did it go? What did you learn from it and would you support use of iPads for exams in the future?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Had a quick look at this, you can lock the Ipad to one app in supervised mode (you should also be able to remove internet access this way too), I didn't spend a lot of time on it though, trick was to find an app / keyboard that doesn't have a spell checker.
    Then there's the issue of getting the data off and printing it (possibly exams officer dropbox / airprint?)
    Last edited by caffrey; 5th March 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I know this is a slightly older message but we're in the middle of using iPads in exam conditions for the first time.

My experiences so far:

- The app is key. The ones we've tried so far (Newpad and Textilus) have caused problems. The main one encountered has been that after a period of time, maybe 1 hour, the response between when a user types and when the writing appears on the screen becomes appreciably laggy and often causes double or triple typing of letters. Makes it difficult to discern user error from a technical one when it comes to marking. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the bluetooth connection as the on screen keyboard suffers the same fate.

- Printing - we have the iPads on a separate SSID with no LAN/Internet access and an airprint printer on the same SSID. This seems to work quite well.

I'd be really interested to know what apps other schools are using for this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread