+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Need an Android app to play NAS based media in Technical; I had a bit of fun last night trying to get VLC for Android to connect to my media server ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries

Need an Android app to play NAS based media

I had a bit of fun last night trying to get VLC for Android to connect to my media server (Zyxel NSA320). What I eventually want to do is get a small Android tablet in the kitchen to connect to the NAS or other net based radio stations (via apps) and play through an old set of Creative speakers we have in there.
    The problem I had with VLC is that it would connect to any web based shares but would happily play them if you connected via a browser and clicked on the file. If anyone knows of a media app for Android that will connect to a NAS and list all of the content within (music, video etc.) either using HTTP or UPnP then please help me out as I spent about an hour with VLC - admittedly still in beta for Android - trying to get it to connect via using it's own dialogues and menu options to no avail.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    You could try GhostCommander: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...NvbW1hbmRlciJd

It's free and enables you to connect to various shares (FTP, SFTP, Samba)

I'll be honest though, I don't know if it actually maps it like a network drive enabling other apps to see it as though it were any other folder, or if you can just browse it from the app itself, but it's worth a go (plus it's a great file browser anyway!)

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Dos_Box (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    I use ES file explorer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.pop&hl=en
    Simple to connect to my NAS at home and has some media playing capabilities. Also its a very good file browser.

5. Thanks to casey from:

Dos_Box (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use plexbox...run my own plex box, accessible from anywhere on droid, iphone, BB etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For DLNA I use aVia which I think is upnp.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Dos_Box (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    If anyone knows of a media app for Android that will connect to a NAS and list all of the content within (music, video etc.) either using HTTP or UPnP then please help me out
    Archos' new Video Player app is another good one for playing videos via UPnP and SMB, especially once you install the additional codecs (adds support for DTS audio, among other things).

There's a free version available if you don't mind the adverts.

10. Thanks to Arthur from:

Dos_Box (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I had a good look around yesterday and tried some of those you all recommended yesterday, but if I had only searched for 'UPnP Player' it brings up a whole host of options:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZGlhaG91c2UiXQ (This didn't work for me as it didn't detect the Zyxel box)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ViYmxldXBucCJd (Worked fine but I didn't like the interface)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5zaWxhbm9pZCJd (This worked well and I liked the interface so I shall be sticking with this for the time being)

You can see the other results here: https://play.google.com/store/search...+player&c=apps and I shall try out the other options over time. In the meantime I shall be looking for a way of mounting a cheap Android tablet in the kitchen (I may just use an in-car sat-nav holder attached to the kitchen tiles) and can't wait to see how it all fits together.
    As a final note, it also has the benefit of being very low powered compared to having a DAB radio connected to speakers in the kitchen, which is nice

Thank Post
    I use Skifta. It can act as both receiver and source for DLNA.

Thank Post
    In my opinion, the only way to go with streaming media at home on a touch screen device is the full XBMC client! Nothing else comes close* to being as awesome IMO!

* Disclamer - I love XBMC so much that I've never tried anything else, so that statement may not actually be accurate!

Linky to the android installer:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/and...rmeabi-v7a.apk

I have it on my HTC Desire HD and works a treat. I even have the iOS version (I jailbroke my iPad specifically for XBMC) and like you I have it on when I'm in the kitchen. The missus got a nice set of Bluetooth Samsung speakers free with her mobile phone a few years ago so which sit in the kitchen, so I just connect my iPad to them via Bluetooth and stand the iPad in the window (or in my cook book holder! )
    Last edited by Rawns; 6th March 2013 at 09:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I love XBMC so much that I've never tried anything else
    Have you seen the new Plex app? It looks very impressive.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,866 Times in 1,384 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned plex already :-p

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I mentioned Plex already
    Indeed you did, but the 'old' Plex app is nowhere near as nice as the brand new one that is currently only available to PlexPass subscribers. Some people might not know about the new app shown in the video above.

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

nephilim (6th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Indeed you did, but the 'old' Plex app is nowhere near as nice as the brand new one that is currently only available to PlexPass subscribers. Some people might not know about the new app shown in the video above.
    Explain to me, why would I want to pay a monthly subscription for a service that I can get completely free with XBMC on all of my devices?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread