+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Tablets and app/software for EYFS Staff in Technical; We have a pre-school and our Early Years staff need tablets for recording EYFS profile progress using software/an app such ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,596 Posts

Tablets and app/software for EYFS Staff

We have a pre-school and our Early Years staff need tablets for recording EYFS profile progress using software/an app such as 2Build a Profile (2Simple software)

They would prefer smaller tablets rather than a full size (10") as they can be stuffed in a pocket. Having things that hang round your neck are not option in pre-school.

We only need 6 of these devices so central management capabilities are only a priority if data is stored on our network rather than out on t'internet.

Suggestions and experience please

Thank Post
    I was looking at 2Build A Profile yesterday as it seems like a useful way of recording data for the EYFS profile ... so much of it tends to be photos etc. that it is great to capture the data and upload it quickly. I know on their website they recommend some tablets.

I would probably look at iPad minis as they seem to fit what the staff need size-wise, but be careful what cases you get for them. We got Griffin Defenders for our iPads which are great for stopping damage if they are dropped, but the staff end up taking them off sometimes if they want to video / take photos.

As far as I'm aware from the 2Build A Profile website, all the data is stored securely on their server somewhere in Docklands, so all you'd need is to hook the iPad minis up to your wireless (adding in any proxy settings as well), and put in place some security so they don't go walkabouts and have too many other things installed on them.

On the other hand .... if they have tablets to use, how long will it take before they ask for other EYFS apps to go on there (there's fab things like Pocket Phonics for practising letter sounds, letter formation etc and a BeeBot app for basic directions and simulation). If there's any chance that the tablets would be used for other things too, it might be worth looking at iPads instead with them being that bit bigger.

3. Thanks to kaphc from:

elsiegee40 (1st March 2013)

Thank Post
    I thyink we will end up getting a mix of sizes in the end too. A larger size one for registration, for example.

The main problem in Pre School is that they photograph everything and spend huge amounts of time printing and cutting out photos to stick into home contact books. we need to get round this!

Thank Post
    Are there PCs in Foundation Stage which are running Windows 7 as well? Our staff plug the iPads into the PCs and then copy over photos and videos onto the network that way too if we want to use anything for the school website or the learning platform. The iPads just install in really well (not so great on Windows XP but we're nearly rid of that thank goodness).

It's all fairly basic how we use them but it does what we want at this stage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Are there PCs in Foundation Stage which are running Windows 7 as well? Our staff plug the iPads into the PCs and then copy over photos and videos onto the network that way too if we want to use anything for the school website or the learning platform. The iPads just install in really well (not so great on Windows XP but we're nearly rid of that thank goodness).

It's all fairly basic how we use them but it does what we want at this stage.
    We're windows 7 across the site now (apart from one or two antiques in dusty corners)

Thank Post
    for further opinion

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're [exclusively] looking at the 2Simple profile builder here... "because we want to use this one".

I got a quote for a ~10" tablet for 125 [Ex. VAT, Inc delivery] but our ICT Co-ord is talking to Samsung to see what they can do about their price. [I'm guessing [censored] all.]

What sort of budget do you have for these?

Thank Post
    I've just bought 3 iPod touches for our first trial of this system. Most of the teachers were happ with the small size and they are used to similar from their shiny phones Having spent ages trying to work out the best size of device to buy, I've come to the conclusion that we need to buy one or two of each to try - the best solution will depend both on the use and the user, so there's not a single right answer. In terms of carrying them, to me one of the biggest benefits is having the device right there. If round the neck doesn't work, either a tool belt type arrangement or a wrist / hand strap could be worth trying.

On another note, you may remember an earlier thread Free EYFS Profile Software. I'm trying that out too - currently with photos not of children and made up data as I haven't 100% decided on the data protection side yet. My current thoughts are that I'm happy with their responses to the concerns raised, but I would have another conversation with them before using real data.

Things I like about their version: 1) It's free 2) It works well when you're using a PC to access the data - it's a web service which has an iOS app, rather than just being device based 3) When your device locks, the data (photos and notes) are synched to their secure server and wiped from the device, so no risk of data being lost with the device 4) It's more flexible for using the KS1 as you don't have to tie each piece of evidence to a pre-defined capability. This last leads to the first downside to report: It doesn't have (as far as I can tell) the capabilities pre-configured, so the teacher would have to do that themselves. The other mark against at the moment is that I haven't 100% decided about the DP side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    Are there PCs in Foundation Stage which are running Windows 7 as well? Our staff plug the iPads into the PCs and then copy over photos and videos onto the network that way too if we want to use anything for the school website or the learning platform. .
    I would really like to get away from copying 1000s of photos onto the server at the same time as reducing the printing. "My" server is full of junk photos. I'd also like to get away from having to create time to sit down after the event to sort through the evidence. I think it would be more efficient to sort it at the time you gather it. I'm trialling using email as a way of getting data off the devices - set up an address for each child or teacher or device or class (haven't quite got this optimised yet ) and then natively in almost all apps, you can email the note or photo as an attachment with a note.

10. Thanks to jmak from:

elsiegee40 (4th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Personally looking at 2 simple profile using LearnPad - The Tablet Computer Designed for Education software on Android. The learnpad seems to let you lock things down, like removing the settings tabs and gives you some control over the devices from a website, although I have not used any of these yet.

12. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

elsiegee40 (4th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @elsiegee40 I'm currently testing the 2Simple app on a Joytab GEM10312BK running android 4.0.4... OMG it's so bad on a tablet.

You need to use "zoom to fit" to use it properly, it looks like the layout is done with absolutes values rather than variables. Which is annoying as it looks better, A LOT better, with "stretch to fit". Everything gets pixelated with zoom.

It's slow as hell [could be the tablet, but everything else on it is fine] and it's crashed 6 times so far. [Including a boot, crash, reboot loop... 15 auto reboots before it worked.]

I wasn't too impressed with it when I saw the reviews, which have been deleted, and my testing has confirmed what they were saying. It's a badly made android port of something developed specifically for Apple.

Granted it's faster on my phone [Galaxy S3 LTE] but it's not having to zoom everything when you want to use it and is a reletively new device with upgraded specs.

If you're planning to use this with iDevices, it'll probably be fine. If you're going to use Android, make sure you test it before you pay out any money for it.

14. Thanks to X-13 from:

elsiegee40 (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    10" tablets would be way too big for a nursery setting - the weight of these tablets really make them very inconvenient to use in a busy setting. The iPods are on the other hand too small - the small form factor makes it difficult to complete an observation with media, text and EYFS assessments. A 7" tablet would be ideal - can be held in one hand (if you are carrying a child in the other!) and is not too small to be misplaced amid all the toys and other stuff lying around in the rooms.
    Also check out eyLog (early years log - https://eylog.co.uk) - it is an Android based solution. The tablets can also be locked down completely to prevent any misuse (no FaceBook, e-mail, etc)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geekey View Post
    The tablets can also be locked down completely to prevent any misuse (no FaceBook, e-mail, etc)
    Which can also be done with Learnpad... which is free.

Also, +1 on the 7" tablets. That's what our staff use for the 2Simple app and I haven't had anyone complaining it's too big/small.

Thank Post
    hadn't actually come across Learnpad until I saw this thread. Can any application be installed on the device - may be through some management console?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geekey View Post
    hadn't actually come across Learnpad until I saw this thread. Can any application be installed on the device - may be through some management console?
    Si, but you need the APK file.

Adding Android Applications - Support - LearnPad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread