+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help on installing apps to multiple iPads in Technical; Hi Ive got 20 ipads in my school that all need the same apps on them, some requested are paid ...

Thank Post

Help on installing apps to multiple iPads

Hi

Ive got 20 ipads in my school that all need the same apps on them, some requested are paid for apps.

I have set up the VPP all well and good, but was wondering, as all the ipads in the school are going to be using the same Apple ID, is there anything stopping us (licensing or otherwise) buying an app once then putting it on all 20 ipads under the same apple id? If this is possible, legally too, then the cost of apps will be rock bottom? Rather than using the VPP and purchasing 20X app price

Or have I missed something?

Also how are you guys installing apps, do you have 1 account for the school or multiple accounts?

Bit confused by it all if Im honest. Ive also setup Meraki and got it working fine, just struggling with what account to use where etc with credit card details attached to it too makes me a bit paranoid

PS Been reading the site for years, first time posting but hopefully not the last!

Thank Post
    First up, Welcome to EduGeek

I'm afraid I won't be an amazing help as far as the legallity goes on the multiple app purchases. I know that apple want you to buy the app more than once for each device but I don't know the exact rules.
    I know you can just use one Apple ID across as many devices as you like.
    For rolling out apps on multiple devices we currently use a free service called Meraki (Meraki) and that works pretty well. You can also set the permissions / restrictions on the devices from the web interface.
    Sorry I can't help further. I'm sure someone else can .

Thank Post
    Cheers Matt

Is there not a 10 device limit per apple id? Interested to know how you guys manage that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellocet View Post
    Cheers Matt

Is there not a 10 device limit per apple id? Interested to know how you guys manage that?
    The 10 device limit ONLY applies when you are buying Apps on those devices, or are used for Automatic downloads

iTunes licensing is I admit confusing, however as you are using these devices in an education setting, the rules are 1 App per device and whilst there is nothing stopping you from syncing a single app to all your iPads at some point in the future I can see Apple using some sort of DRM to stop this from happening.

VPP....You said you have created an account, you search the store and buy the number of copies you require, Apple email you to confirm your order has been processed, you log back in and download a spreadsheet with App codes which you then use in your Meraki MDM. My knowledge of Meraki's MDM stops here but the Lightspeed MDM we resell can use a free iTunes account to install an Apps pushed out by the Lightspeed MDM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for that

What about free apps? As they arent on the VPP does the 10 device limit apply?

Thank Post
    What I've done today...

Got 1 iPad, got the all the settings I wanted on it e.g. the restrictions in the Settings like blocking people installing stuff in the App Store, in-app purchasing, FaceTime, all the apps I wanted on it (including paid ones), wallpaper and lock screen

Then went into iTunes, backed that iPad up... Then I got another iPad, restored it so literally like a brand new one, updated iOS, restore the back up I did, and it works - all the settings I put on the first is now on the second, paid apps are working on it too, stuff iMovie and Garageband are opening no problems.

Thank Post
    there is an Apple tool called Apple configurator that can be used to setup iPads and restrict them etc but it is Mac only so far as far as i'm aware

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    there is an Apple tool called Apple configurator that can be used to setup iPads and restrict them etc but it is Mac only so far as far as i'm aware
    Correct.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blunty91 View Post
    What I've done today...

Got 1 iPad, got the all the settings I wanted on it e.g. the restrictions in the Settings like blocking people installing stuff in the App Store, in-app purchasing, FaceTime, all the apps I wanted on it (including paid ones), wallpaper and lock screen

Then went into iTunes, backed that iPad up... Then I got another iPad, restored it so literally like a brand new one, updated iOS, restore the back up I did, and it works - all the settings I put on the first is now on the second, paid apps are working on it too, stuff iMovie and Garageband are opening no problems.
    Now there are some issues here, If you have added the restriction to Disable installation of Apps, then you cannot remotely push out apps. Its pretty stupid and hopefully Apple will give us better MDM support in iOS 7

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SovietRussia View Post
    Now there are some issues here, If you have added the restriction to Disable installation of Apps, then you cannot remotely push out apps. Its pretty stupid and hopefully Apple will give us better MDM support in iOS 7
    We've only got 15, so it's not that bad at the moment doing it this way, I really should get my head round Apple Configurator tho.

Thank Post
    We've only got 15, so it's not that bad at the moment doing it this way, I really should get my head round Apple Configurator tho.
    I can help with Apple Configurator if you like. I've got 16 iPads that we've been using for a couple of months. Setup with Configurator and a sync trolley.

12. Thanks to j224 from:

blunty91 (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    I can help with Apple Configurator if you like. I've got 16 iPads that we've been using for a couple of months. Setup with Configurator and a sync trolley.
    This is the thing, we haven't got a sync trolley - will this be a problem? We tried USB hubs (10 port one) but IIRC a power surge error came up when putting more than 3 in...

What are paid apps like in Apple Configurator - does it work? We've got Apple ID's set up for the amount of iPads we got, do you use seperate ID's on each iPad or just one?

Many thanks for any information mate.

Thank Post
    This is the thing, we haven't got a sync trolley - will this be a problem? We tried USB hubs (10 port one) but IIRC a power surge error came up when putting more than 3 in...

What are paid apps like in Apple Configurator - does it work? We've got Apple ID's set up for the amount of iPads we got, do you use seperate ID's on each iPad or just one?

Many thanks for any information mate.
    You don't need a trolley, it's just helpful to have one if you want to send apps/settings to all of them at once, or charge them all at the same time.

You can still use Apple Configurator if you have a Mac (running OSX Lion) but you'll obviously need to attach the iPads one by one.

Paid apps work fine. You just log in to the Volume License website, search for the app you want and enter the quantity (20 or more gets you a 50% discount so it's cheaper to buy 20 than it is to buy 15- strange but true!) Download the spreadsheet with the codes, use one code to redeem in iTunes (it automatically starts downloading the app), re-download the spreadsheet to ensure you regain that code, import that app and spreadsheet into Configurator.

I just use 1 Apple ID for all iPads. Configurator recognises each device and assigns one code to it.

15. Thanks to j224 from:

blunty91 (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    You don't need a trolley, it's just helpful to have one if you want to send apps/settings to all of them at once, or charge them all at the same time.

You can still use Apple Configurator if you have a Mac (running OSX Lion) but you'll obviously need to attach the iPads one by one.

Paid apps work fine. You just log in to the Volume License website, search for the app you want and enter the quantity (20 or more gets you a 50% discount so it's cheaper to buy 20 than it is to buy 15- strange but true!) Download the spreadsheet with the codes, use one code to redeem in iTunes (it automatically starts downloading the app), re-download the spreadsheet to ensure you regain that code, import that app and spreadsheet into Configurator.

I just use 1 Apple ID for all iPads. Configurator recognises each device and assigns one code to it.
    We've got VPP but didn't know about importing the spreadsheet into Configurator, will check that out now I know that!

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Imported an app I brought a couple of weeks ago with 3 codes on the spreadsheet and it worked!

The other two main apps we brought without VPP were iMovie and Garageband, there is no way we can now put them in Apple Configurator is there?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast