+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Help on installing apps to multiple iPads in Technical; Originally Posted by j224 But you are the ICT Technician so you're the best informed member of staff when it ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    But you are the ICT Technician so you're the best informed member of staff when it comes to tech, so 'they' should take your advice.
    LOL you must be a new ICT Technician 'they' should take my advice but....

Thank Post
    We too have tried giving advice to the powers that be about ipads and such but the stuff turns up anyway! Then when its in use it's 'why doesn't it do this, why won't it do that' 'i need to save a print from them and access the shared areas' and we can stand there and say 'i told you so' The device then quickly gathers dust and the new next best thing is forced upon us and it starts again haha

7 years in you will get used to it, welcome to the world of ICT in schools!
    Last edited by Darylrese; 20th March 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Lol. I am quite new yeah, 3 years so far. But I guess I'm lucky because my Head of ICT and the Headteacher both rely heavily on my advice and would never buy something tech-related without me agreeing.

Thank Post
    Okay. Let me re-phrase. They are pretty poor at keyboard-based content creation.

Thank Post
    I would advice you quickly nipp it in the bud then with ipads and tell them what they can't do and see if they still want them. They are a bit of a pain in the rear when you get to 10 or more without any training or knowledge of using them.

They are 'The way forward' according to our school...im not convinced atall. In some departments great as an additional tool for educational apps but to replace a microsoft network and desktops? NO WAY!
    Also they are next to useless for teachers as a sole device because they cant do anything productive on them

Considerations against ipads:

You MUST have a school credit card or the volume license, many admin departments won't allow this.
    Saving documents to ipads then getting them off and back to a windows pc to printer / view / edit requires third party apps such as dropbox / googledrive = more logins
    No shared areas
    No printing
    No email because its a shared device
    Adaptors needed to show screen on your board or additional hardware / software
    No backup of files should they be deleted
    Your wireless needs to be sufficiant
    You can't deploy ibooks, you have to install them one by one on every device that needs them
    Every time a new app is needed you will have to recall them all back into the office to be resynced manually
    You will be forever called into classrooms asking how this app works or how that app works and why has this happened!

Theres a lot to consider when implimenting them which many schools will not consider when purchasing.

If they still want to go ahead, you can manage it but only with the right equipment and nohow yourself
    Last edited by Darylrese; 20th March 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi guys im having what seems to be a known issue with deploying apps in Configurator. I've bought 31 licences for the apps i want, used one to redeem in iTunes and imported it into configurator. When i imported the spreadsheet i noticed it wouldn't use the code i'd used in iTunes ("unable to redeem code with iTunes store") so redownloaded the spreadsheet and reimported it but still the same. I've deleted the app and reimported it and the assigned codes automatically appeared but importing the spreadsheet again hasn't made a difference...stumped!

Thank Post
    Hi guys, recently our school has bought the ergotron tablet management cart with the intention of syncing all ipads at once and not having to do each one manually, now the headteacher wants the garageband app downloaded onto all the ipads and I'm wondering if there is a way I can purchase the app on the master Mac that is connected to the cart and sync it to the ipads together so I don't have to download each one separately? The instructions for the cart says that you can but I think that was written a while back and maybe apple has changed the way it operates to stop this sort of thing from happening? Any advice on the best/quickest way of downloading an app onto 32 ipads preferably using this cart would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to do my head in!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nase View Post
    Hi guys, recently our school has bought the ergotron tablet management cart with the intention of syncing all ipads at once and not having to do each one manually, now the headteacher wants the garageband app downloaded onto all the ipads and I'm wondering if there is a way I can purchase the app on the master Mac that is connected to the cart and sync it to the ipads together so I don't have to download each one separately? The instructions for the cart says that you can but I think that was written a while back and maybe apple has changed the way it operates to stop this sort of thing from happening? Any advice on the best/quickest way of downloading an app onto 32 ipads preferably using this cart would be greatly appreciated as this is starting to do my head in!!!
    I've done that recently using Apple Configurator on a mac mini connected to an ergotron cart and it worked quite well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123