+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, School email on Windows Phone (HTC) in Technical; Good morning all, another first for me in this job. A teacher has handed me her HTC windows phone and ...

Thank Post

School email on Windows Phone (HTC)

Good morning all, another first for me in this job.

A teacher has handed me her HTC windows phone and would like access to school emails.

I have never set up email on a phone before and assume it isn't workign because I'm doing it wrong, or missing a setting.
    When adding an account should I be adding an "outlook" account or "other account (POP and IMAP)"
    Both seem to not work but I'm fairly sure it's because I'm putting in either the wrong server or domain name into the wizard.

Coud anyone shed any light on the correct way to access school emails from a mobile, pretty sure the server is "outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk" but as I've said I've never done this before and have nothing to go off.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lquinnuk View Post
    Good morning all, another first for me in this job.

A teacher has handed me her HTC windows phone and would like access to school emails.

I have never set up email on a phone before and assume it isn't workign because I'm doing it wrong, or missing a setting.
    When adding an account should I be adding an "outlook" account or "other account (POP and IMAP)"
    Both seem to not work but I'm fairly sure it's because I'm putting in either the wrong server or domain name into the wizard.

Coud anyone shed any light on the correct way to access school emails from a mobile, pretty sure the server is "outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk" but as I've said I've never done this before and have nothing to go off.

Cheers.
    If its a live@edu account (Outlook) you should just be able to add it as an exchange account in Outlook, only need to enter full email address and password and it should sync straight away (well it did on mine!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok... Do you have web access to the email?

Sometimes, you need to use the Outlook WebAccess address instead of the proper server. [We have to do that here.]

Also, is it school hosted or LEA hosted?

Ours is LEA hosted [soooon....] so I need to remember to add "LEAdomain\" to the username. Also, the username and the mailbox name are different here.

If you have outlook on the computers, have a look in the account settings, it'll help you figure out what you need. The best idea would be to try it out on your own phone, providing you have a phone that can recieve emails.

Thank Post
    Hi all, thanks for the replies, the heads phone let me look at the settings unlike many others, so I took the settings from there.

Incase this comes up for anyone in future it was quite simple, it had to be set up as a pop account, with the pop and smtp server being 'outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought it would be an exchange account with a name like 'outlook.lancsngfl.ac.uk'.

Thank Post
    An Outlook connection with ... ActivSync (struggling to remember the name)... would be better than a POP connection IMO.

Thank Post
    My old Desire had Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync as standard. The Galaxy S2 I have now, also has it. Works a treat... well except making the mistakes of checking emails at night/weekend/holidays....

If you don't host the server, you might have to get some specific server details from the host.
    Last edited by Hawkeyez; 26th February 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    As soon as I try an use the activsync, my phones prompts me to create a pin to lock and unlock my phone and they encrypts all the data on the phone, I assume to many this is appealing but it seems a little more trouble than it's worth, what is the benefit of activ sync over POP?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As soon as I try an use the activsync, my phones prompts me to create a pin to lock and unlock my phone and they encrypts all the data on the phone, I assume to many this is appealing but it seems a little more trouble than it's worth, what is the benefit of activ sync over POP?
    That would be the security settings set up by whoever created the email system.

It's for data protection. There ARE ways of bypassing it, but it's there for a reason.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other than the technical bit of this (being answered by others) have you included anything in your AUP about this.

A few things for you to think about ...

It is quite likely that the teacher will receive emails about the behaviour of students, details about them such as their date of birth, or even attachments with more details in ... all stuff which had previously only been available once you have authenticated via a web page or authenticated on a desktop / laptop and run a mail client.

1 - What policy do you have in place to insist that a complex passphrase is used to protect the device?

2 - Does the device have a setting on it so that after repeated (failed) attempts to log into the device it will wipe itself?

3 - What additional advice and training have you given staff around who can also use the device once this has been set up?

4 - Have you changed your leavers process to take into account ensuring that the account is removed from the device when a member of staff leaves?

None of the above is a reason to stop allowing access to emails on mobile devices, but things that should be covered off ... and applies across all devices!

Thank Post
    pop3 over active sync?

Are you sure you're not just using activesync?

Thank Post
    Pretty sure I'm not using activ sync as I'm not required to enter a pin number or encrypt my SD card, the second I set up an activ sync account all that changes and I need to use a 6 digit pin to unlock my phone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    pop3 over active sync?
    I think they meant "why use ActivSync rather than POP3"

Not via.

Pretty sure I'm not using activ sync as I'm not required to enter a pin number or encrypt my SD card, the second I set up an activ sync account all that changes and I need to use a 6 digit pin to unlock my phone.
    It sounds that way.

But, ATM you're bypassing the restrictions set by the email admin. Like GrumbleDook and I said, it's there for a reason.

If I understand it correctly, should anything happen and pupil information gets out because of you bypassed the security, it'll be you in the firing line. [ @GrumbleDook confirm/deny, please.]
    Last edited by X-13; 26th February 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Unless you have disabled the AS policies. Regardless, I personally recommend using AS with PIN/Policies applied.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It'll be both you and the school (both the Head and the School as a body) will be in trouble should a data breach occur ...

Likely areas where a breach could occur.

The phone is not secured by a passphrase and others can access it with ease.
    The phone is secured but the passphrase is known by several others.
    The phone is secured but is unlocked by the user, then handed over to someone else to use (eg family member to make phone calls / play games / send emails using another account linked to the phone)
    Email is sent out using the wrong account (eg personal account on the phone rather than the work account)
    The phone has additional services enabled (eg bluetooth) which are not secured and allow for the remote connection and browsing of files saved from attachments.
    The phone is set to automatically sync saved files to a machine not allocated / secured via work.

These are some of the areas ... I'm sure more scenarios could be covered if needed.

A lot of the above can be dealt with via organisational policy rather than technical solutions ... but they can be covered.

Manage risk ... don't avoid it!

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

X-13 (26th February 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast