+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, School email on Windows Phone (HTC) in Technical; Oh ok, the reason I have chosen pop over activ sync is simply because 1. I have no desire to ...

Thank Post
    Oh ok, the reason I have chosen pop over activ sync is simply because

1. I have no desire to enter the six digit pin
    2. If I do change to a 6 digit pin I'm sure my wife will wonder why all of a sudden my phone has a new security block and despite any explaination I offer it == headache
    3. The emails I recieve are mundane and useless to even the most hardened fraudster, I'm lucky if I get 3 emails a day, when I do it's either a sales pitch or an edugeek notification, staff come and see me in person and I have nothing to do with students.

How ever as for the teacher...I will look to get her setup using activ sync as I have no idea as to the nature of her emails, and in case it isn't a given, I appreciate all the advice from you guys today.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lquinnuk View Post
    1. I have no desire to enter the six digit pin
    2. If I do change to a 6 digit pin I'm sure my wife will wonder why all of a sudden my phone has a new security block and despite any explaination I offer it == headache
    3. The emails I recieve are mundane and useless to even the most hardened fraudster, I'm lucky if I get 3 emails a day, when I do it's either a sales pitch or an edugeek notification, staff come and see me in person and I have nothing to do with students.
    Then don't set up email on your phone...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Then don't set up email on your phone...
    I will more than likely remove it, but at the moment it's unimportant, I'm just using my own phone as a testing ground so I know what I'm doing if and when other teachers ask for it setting up on their phone......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like no one has really answered your question as to why technically. EAS supports contacts and calendars which is huge, it also supports looking up the global address list. It is more efficient and way more secure than pop which can send your password in clear text, not good if you're an admin. It also supports push email for as they arrive receiving. It is massively better on battery life as it uses long tcp windows meaning data is only switched on for tiny amounts of time rather than for a full send and receive every however long.

Concluding, pop is a model t in comparison to an Aston Martin. If you're going to use it use eas, even from just a technical standpoint.

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

lquinnuk (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Cheers fellow, nice input.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lquinnuk View Post
    As soon as I try an use the activsync, my phones prompts me to create a pin to lock and unlock my phone and they encrypts all the data on the phone, I assume to many this is appealing but it seems a little more trouble than it's worth, what is the benefit of activ sync over POP?
    Sounds essential if you're going to have school email on your phone. Consider all the sensitive information which is in your email (let alone the email of a Head of Year, Head of Pastoral Care, Personnel Officer, etc) and then consider the penalty for breaching the Data Protection Act by "sharing" that information with a thief who stole the phone.

Thank Post
    As for the technical, does your email system allow IMAP? We use Google Apps here, which uses IMAP in the apps. Can't comment on if/why this is better than POP/SMTP though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    As for the technical, does your email system allow IMAP? We use Google Apps here, which uses IMAP in the apps. Can't comment on if/why this is better than POP/SMTP though!
    It is better than pop but still a joke when compared to activesync, it is better on bandwidth but is still a hack for mobile email.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12