+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, What case for Nexus 4? in Technical; Well, the micro sim arrived from Virgin, so I'm now on the Nexus 4. With juuuust a slight 'issue'. It's ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

What case for Nexus 4?

Well, the micro sim arrived from Virgin, so I'm now on the Nexus 4. With juuuust a slight 'issue'.
    It's slippy. By slippy I mean really, really slippy. All of the surfaces are polished to such a degree that it actually slides around in your hand. Just watch this:

And read this: Nexus 4 Owners: Really Unlucky Or Just Really Clumsy

To this end I have decided to get a case for it ASAP before it gets dropped. And I cry. Amazon has these on offer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KC-Electroni...0872198&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ionic-GUARDI...0872198&sr=8-2 (sort of defeats idea of having a nice slim phone though!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poetic-Slimb...0872198&sr=8-3

Opinions please, and if you know of another I should consider please feel free to provide a link.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 14th February 2013 at 08:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Silicon Gel cases work a treat for the mrs S3 which is quite slippery.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

Dos_Box (14th February 2013)

Thank Post
    I've got a nexus 4 which I use with no case and don't have any problems with slippery-ness.

Just got a cheap 'screen protector' on the rear glass (from a German outfit on eBay, 5x for less than 2) and use a nice leather PDAir Belt Holster from MobileFun to carry it around in.

I find the protector on the back gets around the slippery there, and the front seems to become less slick once it gets a bit grubby from use. I tried a screen protector on the front, but I found it hard to get one to stick properly and missed the smooth feel of the glass for using the phone. Fingers crossed no scratching issues so far either, so it looks like Gorilla Glass 2 does its job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    It's a shame G-Form don't make a Nexus case yet...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    I have a Rearth Ringke Slim case for my Nexus 4 (11.92 inc. P&P). It's really good and even allows the phone to charge on my wireless Qi chargepad (a Panasonic QE-TM101-K from Japan). There's a short review of the case here.

I have also pre-ordered a RhinoShield Screen Protector for the front just in case I drop it.

Rearth also make a case with a clear back called the Ringke Fusion. It's a bit thicker than the Slim, but allows you to see the sparkly back of your Nexus 4.

If you simply want to prevent your Nexus 4 from sliding around on tables too much without adding any bulk you should take a look at the 3M vinyl skins that Dbrand make.

Last edited by Arthur; 15th February 2013 at 11:07 AM.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Dos_Box (15th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found a dearth of decent cases as well when I went looking last month, so went for the cheapest as a stop gap. It was 2.99 at the time and came with a screen protector as well.

It is absolutely a market stall case, but you know what, it does alright. It's very grippy at the sides - I've not dropped my phone yet, despite my incessant paranoia on that point - and it lifts the screen a fraction so that the front glass isn't going to scratch if you put it face down. That exact one is out of stock there now, but it's one of a thousand identical offerings, so something similar is a fine and cheap stop-gap until a better option comes out.

I was half tempted by the Ionic Armour one for offering actual protection, but I genuinely don't have 10 spare right now

9. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Dos_Box (15th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I found a dearth of decent cases as well when I went looking last month, so went for the cheapest as a stop gap. It was 2.99 at the time and came with a screen protector as well.

It is absolutely a market stall case, but you know what, it does alright. It's very grippy at the sides - I've not dropped my phone yet, despite my incessant paranoia on that point - and it lifts the screen a fraction so that the front glass isn't going to scratch if you put it face down. That exact one is out of stock there now, but it's one of a thousand identical offerings, so something similar is a fine and cheap stop-gap until a better option comes out.

I was half tempted by the Ionic Armour one for offering actual protection, but I genuinely don't have 10 spare right now
    I have ordered a similar one last night as a stop-gap. 2.50 is pennies compared to trashing an expensive phone and TBH, I don't care how it looks, as long as it is protected.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Arthur. Thanks for that they look really good and I think I'll invest at the end of the month. Not to keen on the vinyl skins though as I don't like to make the original surfaces sticky.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    @Arthur. Thanks for that they look really good and I think I'll invest at the end of the month. Not to keen on the vinyl skins though as I don't like to make the original surfaces sticky.
    I think those vinyl skins look awesome, especially the titanium effect one. Just depends how much you can trust the website's claim that they don't leave any sticky residue on the surface...

Not too bad at 7.50 ish delivered from Canada though!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Not too keen on the vinyl skins though as I don't like to make the original surfaces sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Just depends how much you can trust the website's claim that they don't leave any sticky residue on the surface.
    3M vinyl is top notch stuff. I have two of those Dbrand skins myself (Titanium and Carbon Fibre) and they don't leave any residue.

I think I might even buy some 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fibre vinyl for my other gadgets too.
    Last edited by Arthur; 15th February 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    3M Vinyl in general removes quite cleanly if you do it correctly There is an art to Vinyl removal which I am still to get fully Need more practice sign writing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread