+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, BYOD and wifi network conundrum in Technical; Well once they see what IP to connect to from the bonjour information, wont they use the default gateway, or ...
    Thank Post
    Well once they see what IP to connect to from the bonjour information, wont they use the default gateway, or whatever device you have in between the two networks, we had to make sure zone bridging is setup correctly on our smoothwall.

Thank Post
    Isn't the whole idea pretty fruitless if the infrastructure isn't there to back it up? It might work now but there is only so much tape which can be used to fix things!

Best thing to do would be to present solutions to SLT and let them know its all possible but *this* is the cost etc etc.

Thank Post
    I agree Jamo, however sometimes...and slightly OT 'there just aint the money'...and to get it done we need rely on the expertise from this community.

I've found myself in this position many a time.
    Last edited by SwedishChef; 4th March 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedishChef View Post
    I agree Jamo, however sometimes...and slightly OT 'there just aint the money'...and to get it done we need rely on the expertise from this community.

I've found myself in this position many a time.
    I totally understand that! But is it maintainable?
    When you leave can someone pick it up? Etc etc.

If you are just one person, can you manage configuring every access point as the network grows? Its not being pedantic is being prepared/realistic. There is only so much one person can do! We have nearly 60 access points covering our school, if I had to make a single changed on all of those it would take half a day!

Thank Post
    yup...theres always a line that has to be drawn somewhere that makes it un-maintainable.

Thank Post
    Well I've spent 3 days on this, and it's difficult to do when you're on your own and getting constant interruptions from the rest of the day to day stuff so it gets quite frustrating.
    If I can get this working it'll save a lot of money and hassle - it's *almost* there but just not quite.
    here's what the problem is KV4J45y.jpg

The number keeps increasing and decreasing.

I can't find any info on why it's doing that at all, typical Linux amount of time I waste at home on it!

Thank Post
    After more reading, I'm under the impression that this can only be done on layer 3 switches, we use netgear smart switches here, so I guess this idea is out of the window too, back to plan A!

Smart Switches - Shared access to the Internet for multiple VLANs with no routing

In Particular :-
    "
    • Broadcast and Multicast traffic is transmitted only in the VLAN in which traffic is generated.
    • To allow traffic between VLAN a device working at protocol level (Layer 3) is required
    "

Unless I'm mistaken.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    After more reading, I'm under the impression that this can only be done on layer 3 switches, we use netgear smart switches here, so I guess this idea is out of the window too, back to plan A!

Smart Switches - Shared access to the Internet for multiple VLANs with no routing

"
    • Broadcast and Multicast traffic is transmitted only in the VLAN in which traffic is generated.
    • To allow traffic between VLAN a device working at protocol level (Layer 3) is required
    "

Unless I'm mistaken.
    You are right, to bridge VLANs you need layer3, there is a technology that lets it work from one VLAN to another without layer3 but it is messy when applied to anything other than a really small network, I first saw it on a DLink switch and thought eep, nightmare when scaled.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post

"
    "

Unless I'm mistaken.
    Do the Vlans contain separate Networks (is in addresses and subnetmasks) you need either a router or a layer 3 switch set to route between the networks as the addresses prevent the two networks talking even if you directly connect the vlans (not a good idea!!). you can do it on any router or L3 switch or even a Linux PC set as a router if you must, but you must set up some form of router. this only needs to be done once and one interface on a professional router or pc that can handle vlans. then trunk the vlans through into your switches and out to clients.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    Do the Vlans contain separate Networks (is in addresses and subnetmasks) you need either a router or a layer 3 switch set to route between the networks as the addresses prevent the two networks talking even if you directly connect the vlans (not a good idea!!). you can do it on any router or L3 switch or even a Linux PC set as a router if you must, but you must set up some form of router. this only needs to be done once and one interface on a professional router or pc that can handle vlans. then trunk the vlans through into your switches and out to clients.
    By default even a layer 3 device won't let multicast or broadcast traverse VLANs. Broadcast is done with a IPHelper address usually and multicast requires some PIM setup to traverse the VLANs.

Thank Post
    Yep, gave up on it now as a bad idea, I'll have to consider the split domain idea - cheapest in terms of cost but not in time

Just retried again in vain using 2 nics, wasn't expecting it to work and it didn't , not all is lost, I like playing with Linux
    Last edited by caffrey; 5th March 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Perhaps just get a core switch that does L3 routing? That's all you need!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    By default even a layer 3 device won't let multicast or broadcast traverse VLANs. Broadcast is done with a IPHelper address usually and multicast requires some PIM setup to traverse the VLANs.
    Using sub-nets is a way of cutting down on broadcast traffic why would you want to have your broadcasts traversing your sub-nets, increasing your used bandwidth. also broadcasts for one network wont work on another as its a different range of addresses there for only serving as a way of adding to your traffic. your Multicast i can understand you wanting to get it to transverse your sub-nets.

Subnet = Difrent IP range denoted by the Subnet mask.
    Last edited by januttall; 5th March 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Caffrey, this is why the ubuntu server sits in both VLANS, ie: it has a leg in both ponds, ours is a vitrual machine with an interface per vlan.

Once it picks up the broadcast in one VLAN it then will bridge it to the other, however I still think you need IP routing between the VLAN's or somekind of firewall allowing the traffic to traverse.

Thank Post
    It is broadcasting, just not routing that's the problem - I can only assume it's now to do with the switches as I've tried everything else, you can see by the screenshot what's happening.
    I can ping .local on either vlan and it resolves, a traceroute however and they disappear outside the network.
    So many factors it could be and I've tried everything I can think of.
    set statics and set them in smoothwall to be ignored , different hardware etc. It just doesn't want to play ball!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast