+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Star N9770 5.08” Phone – Anyone Fancy A Chinese? [Review] in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrant31 View Post
    The problem is Royal Mail. They say that sending mobile phones to China is prohibited. As i am trying to keep costs to a minimum i am struggling to find another courier who can do this. Any ideas?
    Really? I went into my local post office, they asked what it is (it was in an anti-static bag, wrapped in bubble wrap and in a jiffy bag - quite a small package). I told them it was a broken phone being returned and they had no problem. As I said, it only cost about £4 inc. proof of postage via airmail.
    Which company did you buy it from?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 29th April 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Im new to the forum and my Star N9770 arrived about an hour ago and its driving me nuts, I cant seem to find any ring tone or messaging tones anywhere!! all I can find in setting is Audio Profiles! which doesnt help me at all. The silly sound which sounds like I need a pee is just so anoying so how do I change it or take it off even? I have downloaded zedge to say if that help but nothing. Any help would be great!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm amazed at your battery life as I bought this phone for my other half and have to charge it every day/night (I thought that's why there were two batteries with it). It's currently the major drawback to using the phone, i.e. having to keep it charged!

I even emailed Dractek and they just said it's a large screen drawing lots of power so get used to it...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by winng View Post
    I'm amazed at your battery life as I bought this phone for my other half and have to charge it every day/night (I thought that's why there were two batteries with it). It's currently the major drawback to using the phone, i.e. having to keep it charged!

I even emailed Dractek and they just said it's a large screen drawing lots of power so get used to it...
    What have you left switched on? I'm still getting plenty of life from mine, and if you notice I did list the standby time, not in use hard use as these figures vary so much dependent on what tasks you are doing. In normal everyday use I am still charging it at least once every 24 hours, which is what I'd expect from any smartphone tbh.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshcarre View Post
    Hi,
    Im new to the forum and my Star N9770 arrived about an hour ago and its driving me nuts, I cant seem to find any ring tone or messaging tones anywhere!! all I can find in setting is Audio Profiles! which doesnt help me at all. The silly sound which sounds like I need a pee is just so anoying so how do I change it or take it off even? I have downloaded zedge to say if that help but nothing. Any help would be great!!!
    I don't have mine on me at the moment, so I can't check if you are looking in the right place. They should be under Settings-Sound (I'm checking on a on 4.2.2 device). You could always try setting an MP3 as your ringtone in the meantime.
    Where did you buy it from? Was it an individual or one of the more recognised online sellers as there are plenty of reports of people flashing these with the incorrect firmware and things going horribly wrong (which is why I'm leaving mine as stock).

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Welshcarre (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Dos_box,
    Thanks for your reply, I bought my phone of amazon(fourfiled by amazon) its running android 4.1 and as you said I have downloaded a ringtone off Zedge and just using that as a ringtone at the moment. I just thought there might have been a folder or setting with some tones and stuff all ready on the phone but it seems not unless Im going mad!! All I can find in setting is Audio profile. Is this all that it is on the fone? So if you can help me in anyway that would be great and also give me any good tips to get the best out of this mobile. Cheers. Steven

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshcarre View Post
    Hi Dos_box,
    Thanks for your reply, I bought my phone of amazon(fourfiled by amazon) its running android 4.1 and as you said I have downloaded a ringtone off Zedge and just using that as a ringtone at the moment. I just thought there might have been a folder or setting with some tones and stuff all ready on the phone but it seems not unless Im going mad!! All I can find in setting is Audio profile. Is this all that it is on the fone? So if you can help me in anyway that would be great and also give me any good tips to get the best out of this mobile. Cheers. Steven
    I've just had a look at mine and all of the sound options are located in the Settings-Audio Profiles menu. You need to tap the profile (General, Silent etc.) to configure the options for ring tones. There are plenty of factory ring tones to be had in there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @winng I've just got my phone out of the car where it's been on standby since Saturday and it's on 40%. Do you have any power management apps installed? if not I highly suggest you buy one like JuiceDefender (they also have a free version). Otherwise you will get a really bad return from your battery, especially if you leave wi-fi and bluetooth on constantly and have the screen set to 'nuclear'.

Thank Post
    Hi there to you all. First time using a forum, so apologies if I appear too simple! Have had this Star Phone since June but have yet to hook up to 3G or GPS. Have been around the country, big cities/small towns, but nothing. Have sent it back to UK suppler, but without any better results. I guess it must be down to the ariel, but how do I improve the performance? In all other respects, I have been impressed, especially moving from an i-phone. For me, battery life is average, but easy to manage. Regards, Churms.

Thank Post
    @Dos_Box - How is the phone? Is it still going? Any problems with it?
    I want to get a similar phone http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxnovo%C2%A...productDetails

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    @Dos_Box - How is the phone? Is it still going? Any problems with it?
    I want to get a similar phone http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foxnovo%C2%A...productDetails
    It's still going strong and I've had no issues with it (the lack of a compass can be a bit of a pain) . The chipset on the N9770 was a MediaTek 6577, the one you are looking at has a MediaTek 6589 and is a much more powerful beast. The only problem you have is that some manufacturers can really stuff up their designs, but it's not an issue to them as they will only be rolling out a particular model for a few months (unless it is a successful one like the Star N9770).
    I brought my wife a Cubot GT99 last year with the same chipset and it's a stonking phone, but due to a design fault can be laggy when picking up satellites. Also the compass and gyrometer don't work too well (it will flip the screen fine) and apps like Google Sky won't be easy going. Apart from that it's a lovely device.
    Oh, and don't expect new firmware for them either! I'm not having much joy finding reviews on anywhere apart from on Amazon so please let us all know how you get on with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    I want to get a similar phone
    Unless you need dual SIMs, wouldn't the Moto G be a better choice?

8GB: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ECBREK2
    16GB: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ECBREB6

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Unless you need dual SIMs, wouldn't the Moto G be a better choice?

8GB: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ECBREK2
    16GB: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ECBREB6
    Problem with the moto g is that it doesnt have an sd card slot. The 8GB model doesnt have enough space for everything and the 16GB adds another £60 to the price.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,967 Times in 2,182 Posts
    This is a bit worrying...

Pre-installed spy software found on Chinese smartphones « Heise.de (Google Translate)

Security researchers from G Data have discovered pre-installed malicious code in the firmware of the Star N9500 smartphone. The trojan allows spying on the user of the mobile phone comprising: personal data can be copied without restriction and conversations are overheard. Also, the microphone can be switched arbitrarily from afar and turns the phone on command into a bug. The Star N9500 ​​is an affordable copy of the Samsung Galaxy S4, which is marketed at various online retailers for 130 to 165 euros worldwide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 18th June 2014 at 10:29 PM.

17. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

speckytecky (18th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast