+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Testing 999 in Technical; Hi, We are setting up a new phone system. I was wondering if we are allowed to test if 999 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 1,476 Posts
    Blog Entries

Testing 999

Hi,

We are setting up a new phone system.

I was wondering if we are allowed to test if 999 is working? Obviously don't want to wait until something for real happens!

I am after peoples real experiences etc. Googling brings up mixed results.

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 28th January 2013 at 08:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was always told to follow a basic procedure:

Find out the non-emergency number for your region's 999 center and call them. Ask to speak to the supervisor and ask them what the procedure is for running a test 999 call to ensure your phone system calls 999 correctly.

Some regional centres will want you to tell them a time when you're going to be calling it, so its on record when you call etc...

It needs testing, no doubt about that.

Thank Post
    Don't forget to make sure that you take into account ext 112!!!

When we moved to our new building the phone guys forgot about 112, 112 happen to be my extension, and it was actually calling emergency services instead...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have had to do this a few times recently, when you make the 999 call you just state to the initial operator when they ask you which service you require that you are a telecoms engineer and that you are testing 999 Emergency Services Number.

BUT! - Only make that call once, otherwise someone will be on your case!

You will find they might just hangup on your straight away. :-)

James.

5. Thanks to EduTech from:

rh91uk (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi all, on the subject - is there a list of emergency numbers within the UK that we need to include when building a new telephone system? Going through the same thing here...

Thank Post
    Bear in mind 101 for Police and also 111 which is starting to be rolled out for various NHS trusts, not as widely implemented but one to bear in mind too.

Thank Post
    You should test.

99999 ( if your an old featurenet user )
    112 ( avoid this as an extension number )
    99112 ( if you are an old featurenet user )

If your Phone Server covers geographical diverse sites then make sure there is a local route to PSTN so that the location can be determined by the line.

And always have a plain unpowered telephone plugged into a plain old phone line for backup.

Rob

9. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Roberto (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's no need to avoid 112 or 999 as an extension number. We don't avoid them here. It is well known within our site that 9 is necessary to get an external number, so 9112 or 9999 are needed to call out to those numbers.

And you also don't need to have a phone plugged in as backup all the time, just the capability for one - we have a phone sat on a shelf next to our fax line ready to be used if necessary. Otherwise you will also potentially be introducing annoying ringing into your school!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    There's no need to avoid 112 or 999 as an extension number. We don't avoid them here. It is well known within our site that 9 is necessary to get an external number, so 9112 or 9999 are needed to call out to those numbers.

And you also don't need to have a phone plugged in as backup all the time, just the capability for one - we have a phone sat on a shelf next to our fax line ready to be used if necessary. Otherwise you will also potentially be introducing annoying ringing into your school!
    Peronaly

I account for anyone needing to make an emergancy call, if your receptionist has a heart attack in front of Joe Blogs and there is no one else arround then Joe ( who has no idea of the phone system config) should be able to dial 999 , 112 for help. and the Emergancy Emergancy phone needs to be available in an emergancy.

Rob

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    You're not worried that someone will need the emergency services and will be in too much of a panic to remember that stuff under pressure? Or that someone who is unfamiliar with your system, a new starter say, is the one that has to make the call?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go ahead and phone 999 - and report a theft - David Cameron and his cronies have stolen our pensions....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

it needs to be set up so that any and all can dial the ES easily without having to remember the leading 9, FYI ringing 9 or 99 from an external line will also be patched through to 999. but the 112 should be set to go straight through your system too as its the international ES number.
    Last edited by januttall; 29th January 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Where does the requirement for not having the leading 9 come from? From what I remember, on military bases you have to dial the leading 9, and from what I remember my wife telling me from when she worked in hospitals there was a leading 9 for calling ES. As long as the procedure is clearly stated by phones, there should be no issue - in fact, most of the fire action stickers have blank space for you to fill in how to call the fire brigade...

Ours is setup so that you hit 9 before any external number, including 999 and 112

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    most of the fire action stickers have blank space for you to fill in how to call the fire brigade...

17. Thanks to X-13 from:

gtg93 (29th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nope, you do NOT have to miss the 9 out from internal phone systems. I have not seen a single commercial system that had this set up in this way. Lancaster university doesn't have this set up either - calling 999 puts you through to an internal university security desk even, at least when I was there (same as Cardiff Uni)! And everyone was told not to direct call 999 as the campus security need to be included to direct the emergency services to the right place etc...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast