+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Testing 999 in Technical; Originally Posted by Willott Where does the requirement for not having the leading 9 come from It's the universal standard ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willott View Post
    Where does the requirement for not having the leading 9 come from
    It's the universal standard access number for an outside line. But on most systems you can make it whatever you like or not have one at all (not recomended) .

If you were ever on featurenet , with your own system behind it you would dial 9 to get off your phone system and onto featurenet , and then a second 9 to get off featurenet. Dialing 90 would get the featurenet operator for your featurenet group.

Rob

Thank Post
    we also have 2222 and 3333 in the hospital which are numbers used elsewhere too. 2222 for a crash call and 3333 for a fire.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For Reference I had to do it again this morning for another Lync Enterprise Voice Installation, When you ring 999 once you have stated your a a telecoms engineer for example and that your testing they will just take down your initials and then you both say goodbye! :-)

Simples!

James.

Thank Post
    I have just emailed our telephony supplier to ask them their views on it, once I hear back I will post.

Thank Post
    Response is:

Call 999 explain that you are testing and ask them to confirm CLI and get them to acknowledge but one of his engineers tells him if you are doing numinous connective test calls, call the local police first to explain, they will give you a code to clear, not sure if this is correct

Hope this helps.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Nope, you do NOT have to miss the 9 out from internal phone systems. I have not seen a single commercial system that had this set up in this way. Lancaster university doesn't have this set up either - calling 999 puts you through to an internal university security desk even, at least when I was there (same as Cardiff Uni)! And everyone was told not to direct call 999 as the campus security need to be included to direct the emergency services to the right place etc...
    You're right, you don't have to miss out the 9 from internal systems. Not sure what you mean when you say you haven't seen a single system that had this set up this way; all the systems I've worked with can allow you to configure all kinds of responses to different patterns of numbers being dialled and "999", "911", "112", etc are just a bunch of numbers to an internal phone system, so it's simply down to the phone system's admin how those are processed.

In my opinion it makes things better if someone dialling '999' in a panic doesn't get an unresponsive phone. Not everyone will agree but that's how I see it.

And you're also right that re-directing to the switchboard/security is a good and sensible idea. Totally agree. That's what we used to do until someone got in a flap and decided it was wrong and ordered us to change it. But routing emergency calls to an internal emergency call handling system of some kind is different from making people dial four 9s for the emergency services.

Thank Post
    Having setup two phone systems so far I've called 999, waited for it to connect (don't hang up before you get to speak to someone) - say that you are testing a newly installed phone system. Both times they have asked for my post code and initials and nothing more has been said.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did the test today. All went fine.

Asked him to confirm the CID. We did so, took my initials. Didn't ask for a postcode. I also configured the system to record all 112 & 999 calls, this also worked. Now got a nice recording of myself.

Thank Post
    The uni where I work dont allow you to call 999 directly, instead you need to a specific internal number and report it to them, they then handle the actual call to 999
    All our emergency notices have the internal number written on them.

This is mainly due to the building being spread out across campus, and if you rang 999 directly, they would inevitably go to the wrong location.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12