+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Ipad Pool in Technical; Any ideas on setting up a pool of Ipads ? Eg similar to having a laptop trolley, instead of laptops ...

Thank Post

Ipad Pool

Any ideas on setting up a pool of Ipads ? Eg similar to having a laptop trolley, instead of laptops a class books out a set of Ipads.

I'm not sure how this'll work seeing as they are generally classed as personal devices but this is the path the school wants to take as they aren't going down the 1:1 route for the whole school.

Idea that I've had is to set up an image per class (as they would have their own relevant apps), e.g. MFL, English, maths, science, etc. and restore the image prior to lessons (assuming they book them correctly to give me time).

Problem with this is how long does it take to restore an Image can you restore multiples at once ?

Thank Post
    To be honest your best off imaging all the ipads with the same image with every app you have as if you have a lot of apps the install and backup can take an hour or more.

Also ios 6.0.1 (latest for iPad) has a bug in it where if there's a large amount of data to restore during the restore operationit doesn't always turn back on when it should causing the restore to fail. (this happens with apple configurator).

As for the multiuser aspect you are correct but an app I've found to be incredibly useful is filebrowser (logo is a blue square with fb inside it) it allows you to set up smb shares to specific areas like the students user area and have them log in to access work and then log out so some one else can get there work. Just make sure you tell them to log out.

Another thing to look out for if your supervising devices is you can no longer connect them to a pc and download the photos and videos that have being taken (if you used apple configurator) using filebrowser helps you get around this.

Currently we have 4 crates of 15 setup like this for teachers to book out.

If you have any questions give me a shout.

(Please excuse spelling mistakes or if this post doesn't make full sense I've just woke up and wrote it on my phone.)

3. 3 Thanks to TechieWils:

caffrey (27th January 2013), prandelicious (31st January 2013), speckytecky (27th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Bit early for me too ;p , thanks for the reply.
    I'm just struggling to figure out how this is all going to work, it's something that higher up want as there's no budget for 1:1 (only for year 7 and 12).
    I'm trying to preempt it and have answers before it happens, I know its not going to work how they want but I'd like to go pre-armed to any meetings.
    If it's going to take an hour to restore it's out of the question, come on apple lets have multi user support!
    The file browser idea won't work in our case as they are on a separate network.
    Last edited by caffrey; 27th January 2013 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe HAP from here on a server they can access so they can access files. If you have Office 2010 or higher there are sharepoint webparts that should run under the free version of sharepoint to give the same kind of web based Office as is used under Office 365. Would be quite a setup to integrate it with documents shares etc but it is a possibility.

Thank Post
    At the moment, I'm not too fussed about them accessing their areas although i'm sure that will be a subject that will crop up soon (and printing) I'll cross that bridge when it's needed (Currently exploring moving to GAPPS, but I heard the apps aren't so good on Ipads)
    It would be nice if I they could be departmentalised as each subject is budgeted and they will buy their own corresponding apps (hence imaging)
    I could have MFL, science etc images to push out before a lesson, but sounds like it takes too long - doesn't really have a solution it seems .
    Problem is SLT see the shiny and don't see the problems!

Thank Post
    We have a trolly of 30 here - using Meraki to manage them not the apple Configurator - Meraki is free by the way!

Planning to load them up with all apps and then manage them with Meraki - to block/enable certain functions like internet or camera etc depending what is needed for that lesson.

Will load them up with all apps needed by all departments as takes to long to image them and just not feasible when really its a classroom management issue as to what apps they use - same as using PC's in computer room. With Meraki I can stop them using the camera unless the teacher requests it and the same with the internet and a few other things.
    Can also just send the apps that are needed to the devices with a few clicks in Meraki

Thank Post
    I currently have profile "manager" setup on a mac mini, and have 40 odd staff Ipads attached to it, the app "management" is, well isn't to be fair. The student Ipads are the next stage and I'm struggling to see how this is all going to work without a lot of hassle the mac mini is grinding to a halt even with that many on it....
    I suppose I could just create folders on the Ipad for each department and put the relative apps in there (problem I see with that afaik app management can't put apps into folders)
    This is just turning out to be a really really bad idea

Thank Post
    Worth a look at https://www.krcs.co.uk/pages/iPads_for_schools. I haven't purchased but it looks good. Could use with Lightspeed for MDM.

If anyone has any alternatives, please post!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread