+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Hmmm, ASUS NEXUS 7 - Not impressed so far.... in Technical; I purchased a batch for the school and they arrived today. I brought one home tonight to set up and ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmmm, ASUS NEXUS 7 - Not impressed so far....

I purchased a batch for the school and they arrived today. I brought one home tonight to set up and play around with as it was so manic today. It wouldn't power up. I left it on charge for two hours. Still no joy. Holding the power button down for 15 seconds as recommended by ASUS on their support website did sweet nothing.

So I went on to a number of forums to have a rummage around (Googling 'Asus Nexus 7 not turning on' rather disconcertingly turned up a lot of hits)....

.... and a tip from one user suggested popping the back cover off and disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery. Off comes the cover - and there's the problem - the battery isn't connected at all. Plugged the connector in and we're off......finally.

Hope I don't have to bu@@er around with all the others like this

Thank Post
    Oh dear - not an enticing prospect...

On the upside, at least you can get the cover off and disconnect the battery. My little 'un dropped his brother's iPod touch down the toilet (don't ask) and it could do with drying off with the battery disconnected. As a result of Steve Jobs' engineering, I'm not optimistic. Silver cloud?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hmmm, ASUS NEXUS 7 - Not impressed so far....

I brought one of those, not impressed, the software is unstable, the ui is from windows 95 and the app store is full of expensive apps that usually don't work well or at all on it.

The web is full of known issues on the whole line, no December, slow charging and/or really fast discharging, crashing, auto brightness flicker, broken Bluetooth stack that jitters audio and drops keyboards. Then there is the build 'quality' where the screen glass detaches and bulges in the middle near the sides.

I should have got a w8 device despite the doubling of the price tag. Still won't touch an apple device, their ui is also from 95 but it is the kindigarden 'chooser' apple app from then.

Thank Post
    Just to balance this thread I have a nexus 7 and absolutly love it. It's fast and responsive and although it takes a while to charge it lasts a long time. I use it everyday for reading news, check mail, as an XBMC controller and also with the excellent XBMC android app - syncing to a database on my server. It knocks the spots of my Asus prime and Samsung note.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I too got myself a Nexus 7 32Gb for Xmas. It's been rock solid so far, no crashes whatsoever. My only complaint is the Auto Brightness Screen Flicker - if its on the lowest brightness setting then the screen flickers slightly; a lot of complaints about it and even replacements suffering from the same issue. I just turned Auto Brightness off and have it a notch or two above the minimum and it's not a problem. Not used Bluetooth yet, but no issues with Sound, Video, Keyboard and build quality seems really good.

Pete

Thank Post
    I agree with FragglePete. Got one for Christmas myself and I'm impressed with it.

I've had an iPhone for a long time and did have my heart set on an iPad mini but couldn't justify the extra money for something that does less, quite frankly.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Have you run the update to 4.2? Since then the launcher has crashed a bunch of times for me, apps black screen and die, sometimes the launcher takes up to 10 s to display home screen icons.

When I first got it I had to turn it off to charge it as even with WiFi, location and the screen off it was draining power faster than the charger was adding it.

The browser works great but it's unlikely I'll ever buy another android device. This one has confirmed all my worst fears about the platform. You damn near have to buy a separate app just to turn it on and it is full of ads.

I am keeping it in case it manages to grow on me with future updates but its really just a mobile browser with priority access to Google's ad channel.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yeah I updated to the latest version within half an hour of turning it on for the first time. The battery was already half charged so I just used it for a few hours till it died and then charged it up fully before using it again.

If you had to turn settings off just to allow you to charge it, it sounds like a major fault and you should return it.

I don't think it's full of ads at all, but that might be because I've rooted mine and installed AdAway and Adblock Plus.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    Hi,

Yeah I updated to the latest version within half an hour of turning it on for the first time. The battery was already half charged so I just used it for a few hours till it died and then charged it up fully before using it again.

If you had to turn settings off just to allow you to charge it, it sounds like a major fault and you should return it.

I don't think it's full of ads at all, but that might be because I've rooted mine and installed AdAway and Adblock Plus.
    Thats the thing, it charges fine most of the time, it just chokes out on the odd occasion. The Facebook ap alone has billboards every few posts. The wp7 app has no ads at all.

If I have to void the warranty out of the box to make it bearable I may as well have brought an apple :-(

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    If I have to void the warranty out of the box to make it bearable I may as well have brought an apple :-(

Rooting doesn't void the warranty.

Europe

The Free Software Foundation Europe argues that it is legal to root or flash any device. According to the European Directive 1999/44/CE, replacing the original operating system with another does not void the statutory warranty that covers the hardware of the device for two years unless the seller can prove that the modification caused the defect.
    [Source]
    Last edited by X-13; 8th January 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: I haz gud markup skillz

Thank Post
    Thats the thing, it charges fine most of the time, it just chokes out on the odd occasion. The Facebook ap alone has billboards every few posts. The wp7 app has no ads at all.

Ah, well I think that's down to Facebook, rather than Google. The iPhone Facebook app has adverts in the timeline now aswell, and loads of free apps have the 'iAds', so Apple isn't exactly perfect either, as much as they'd like us to believe.

Regarding your charging issues- I'd still return it if it's playing up. I've not had any issues with charging at all.

And as X-13 said above- Rooting doesn't void warranty and it's dead simple to revert back to factory settings if you need to return it to store.
    Last edited by j224; 8th January 2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    And as X-13 said above- Rooting doesn't void warranty and it's dead simple to revert back to factory settings if you need to return it to store.
    You don't even have to do that.

If it's under 6 months since you bought it, it's usually accepted the problem existed when you got it.

If it's more than 6 months, but less than 2 years, the seller has to prove it's caused by the root/flash. A simple revertion to stock, so you can test it, is enough to show whether it's the ROM or the device. If that isn't possible anymore it's not software related. [I don't quite get that...]

If it's more than 2 years, you're on your own.

[Further reading.]

Thank Post
    I love my Nexus 7 got it for Xmas and I love it, i like the face you can set up multiple users on it (one for me and one for the missus) so my apps screen isnt filled up with all the variations of solitaire and sudoku under the sun. I have a Plex server at home and the Plex app is awesome, laid in bed when the missus is asleep with the headphones on streaming a film from my NAS easily and with all the MetaData when im choosing.

No crashes, although I have rooted it to put clockwork mod on it to take a full backup of the ROM

Cant say i've noticed anything with the auto brightness but that might be because its only really used in the house with a constant lighting level

14. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

toothy (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I love my Nexus, its rock solid (both software and hardware) i hardly ever put it down at home. Ideal size to carry around and use in one hand. I can honestly say its the best tablet ive had (and ive had a few) it grabs everything off my media server and is great for netflix. Not had any crashing issues at all and never use auto brightness on anything so cant say if mine works or not. Charge time on mine is very good as is battery life, alot of tablet orientated apps coming out now which work really great. had it since release day and i have to say its still super quick. Overall for me a Great device. That said i don't think id implement it in a school just yet (not keen and any tablet for school so far as we have ipads and not realy used for much).

Thank Post
    I brought one of those, not impressed, the software is unstable, the ui is from windows 95
    I don't see how you feel this is the case? the UI for jelly bean is lovely skinned versions of android and older versions did not look up to scratch but i can honestly say the current ui is great. and to be fair, just like most tablets and phones, the basics revolve around a grid of apps just like IOS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast