+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Hmmm, ASUS NEXUS 7 - Not impressed so far.... in Technical; Originally Posted by toothy I don't see how you feel this is the case? the UI for jelly bean is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Hmmm, ASUS NEXUS 7 - Not impressed so far....

Quote Originally Posted by toothy View Post
    I don't see how you feel this is the case? the UI for jelly bean is lovely skinned versions of android and older versions did not look up to scratch but i can honestly say the current ui is great. and to be fair, just like most tablets and phones, the basics revolve around a grid of apps just like IOS.
    Icons and 'active wallpaper', it's windows 95. Fine if that's your thing but it's a bit grating given that was the 'reason' people gave for superiority of android over windows mobile, the ui is no better.

As to taking it back and warranty voiding nz is different, consumer protections exist but it practically takes a lawyer to get them honoured.

Besides, the charging thing is an intermittent and known software bug to do with telling the charger to step up amperage, turn it off isolating the dodgy is and it goes fine. The screen glass is already starting to separate. If I take it back it will be for a refund rather than a replacement as this is all likely to happen again.

I even tried the standard advice of factory resetting (reformat anyone) and still get the wait for icons on occasion. I can't beleive this is the best Google can do with its own hardware.

Thank Post
    It's unfortunate that you've had bad luck with your device because it's clearly given you a negative view of the whole OS.

Many Nexus 7 owners are extremely happy with their purchase and lets not forget that it costs a lot less than an iPad mini. I bought my N7 for 179 for 32GB. Compare that to the 269 for 16GB iPad mini. Unless prices have changed recently. It's not the best that Google can do with its own hardware, but it is probably the best they can do for that price point.

You don't have to have an active wallpaper but the option is there for those that do. You don't even have to have icons on the homescreen if you prefer to use widgets.

I have a Win 7 laptop, an iPhone and a Nexus 7 so I'm not a fanboy of any platform- they all have pros and cons. But it sounds like you've made up your mind so just take the N7 back and get something else. Life is too short.

3. Thanks to j224 from:

SYNACK (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The Facebook ap alone has billboards every few posts.
    As far as I'm aware, adverts in apps have little to do with the device or operation system it runs on, that's down to the app it's self.

Icons and 'active wallpaper', it's windows 95. Fine if that's your thing but it's a bit grating given that was the 'reason' people gave for superiority of android over windows mobile, the ui is no better.

As to taking it back and warranty voiding nz is different, consumer protections exist but it practically takes a lawyer to get them honoured.

Besides, the charging thing is an intermittent and known software bug to do with telling the charger to step up amperage, turn it off isolating the dodgy is and it goes fine. The screen glass is already starting to separate. If I take it back it will be for a refund rather than a replacement as this is all likely to happen again.

I even tried the standard advice of factory resetting (reformat anyone) and still get the wait for icons on occasion. I can't beleive this is the best Google can do with its own hardware.
    I can't comment on windows mobile since I've never used it but I find the current Android much better then iOS. I personally can't think of a better way to open apps then to just pressing on them. Personally I have my most used apps in folder groups on the home screens of my devices anything else you can just get in the app "repository" for me it's just fast and fuctional way of doing things.

Now regarding your hardware faults I would for sure take it back, seems you just got a "bad one".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    It's unfortunate that you've had bad luck with your device because it's clearly given you a negative view of the whole OS.

Many Nexus 7 owners are extremely happy with their purchase and lets not forget that it costs a lot less than an iPad mini. I bought my N7 for 179 for 32GB. Compare that to the 269 for 16GB iPad mini. Unless prices have changed recently. It's not the best that Google can do with its own hardware, but it is probably the best they can do for that price point.

You don't have to have an active wallpaper but the option is there for those that do. You don't even have to have icons on the homescreen if you prefer to use widgets.

I have a Win 7 laptop, an iPhone and a Nexus 7 so I'm not a fanboy of any platform- they all have pros and cons. But it sounds like you've made up your mind so just take the N7 back and get something else. Life is too short.
    You're probably right, I just don't like to be beaten by dodgey hardware/software.

Thank Post
    I had a nexus 7 and an iPad mini side by side (for about ten minutes) so was able to do a quick compare...
    10 Minute Review: Apple iPad Mini vs. Google Nexus 7 Irritable Tech
    I have to say, I prefer the apple. One big reason was the aspect ratio. The nexus' 16:10 screen accompanied with its software home/back button makes the device less comfortable to use, for me. It just doesn't sit comfortably with todays images and websites.

I think I'm more embedded in the apple ecosystem (especially now I received a mini as a Christmas present!). I think the iOS apps are just better. Google hasn't seemed to persuade app devs to create decent tablet versions of phone apps in the same way as apple has. I do think Chrome beats Safari as a stock browser though.

We've got one nexus here at school and it has suffered from a not powering up issue. I've had two mini's in my hands, and neither has had any issue.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I had a nexus 7 and an iPad mini side by side (for about ten minutes) so was able to do a quick compare...
    10 Minute Review: Apple iPad Mini vs. Google Nexus 7 Irritable Tech
    I have to say, I prefer the apple. One big reason was the aspect ratio. The nexus' 16:10 screen accompanied with its software home/back button makes the device less comfortable to use, for me. It just doesn't sit comfortably with todays images and websites.

I think I'm more embedded in the apple ecosystem (especially now I received a mini as a Christmas present!). I think the iOS apps are just better. Google hasn't seemed to persuade app devs to create decent tablet versions of phone apps in the same way as apple has. I do think Chrome beats Safari as a stock browser though.

We've got one nexus here at school and it has suffered from a not powering up issue. I've had two mini's in my hands, and neither has had any issue.
    I hate Apple but I have to agree that they have forced better standards on their devs (irony, auto corrected to devas) each platform still has a useless bar, iOS at the top, android at the bottom. 20px plus of screen real estate that could have been saved if buttons were not 'uncool'.

Insanely pricing on the app store is also skewed, the wp7 store is cheaper for many things, as is the apple one. Not what you'd expect from the largest market.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 8th January 2013 at 02:14 PM.

8. Thanks to SYNACK from:

IrritableTech (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    you don't have to use an "active Wallpaper" if you don't want, its up to the end user, giving people choice. and "icons" are used on pretty much every mobile OS therefore its as up-to date as the next. even looking at ubuntu's mobile OS it uses "icons".

I cant comment on poor hardware because as i have said mine has been excellent.

[EDIT] ive also found a mix with apps, there are more and more new releases that seem more expensive than IOS which is an annoyance when android used to be cheaper. There are still alot of apps however that are cheaper or free on android so i feel, at least for the moment its an even mix. I suppose now they have the most apps and the bigger market share developers are trying to max income but its a big annoyance when prices are higher so essentially the same item.
    Last edited by toothy; 8th January 2013 at 03:05 PM.

Thank Post
    I love my N7, bought it in September and use it all the time, but, mine does suffer from the charging issue and I have finally come round to the fact it needs to go back to be replaced

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12