+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Apple VPP, how exactly am I ment to use it? in Technical; Hi, I'm from a school with 13+ iPads, we had them in use before Apple decided to get themselves in ...

Thank Post

Apple VPP, how exactly am I ment to use it?

Hi,

I'm from a school with 13+ iPads, we had them in use before Apple decided to get themselves in gear about licensing so we just had the 1 iTunes account (email address) attached to all the iPads.
    I think I'm being blinded by my distaste for Apple products but I just can't find the answers to these simple questions anywhere.

1. Do all the iPads need to have there own individual email address/iTunes account?
    2. Are we required to re-purchase all the payed for apps we had on the other iTunes account we used?

I have enrolled btw.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    1. No, we have ours registered on a single account.
    2. If you bought multiple copies of apps before, just leave them on the existing account and continue to use it. However, if you have been naughtily using a single purchase on multiple devices, then buy the correct number through VPP now. I'm not sure what to recommend if you later increase the number of devices using the single Apple ID, however.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

galvocca (8th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Hope you don't mind me adding another question to this thread-

What happens if I purchase 16 iPads- 15 to be used by the pupils (shared around the school on a rota basis) and 1 for the teacher of whichever class is using them.

I'd like to use one iTunes account to sync the same apps/settings to all of them, but I might also want the teacher one to have some extra apps. But how is this possible unless I use a different iTunes account for the teacher? Because when I plug them all in to charge 'n' sync, they'll all be made identical again.

However, if I've bought a bunch of apps for the pupil ones, I don't want to have to buy the same ones again with the teacher iTunes account.

Hope that makes sense!

Thank Post
    I don't have any experience with iTunes syncing, but I'm pretty sure you'll need to use a different Apple ID. I should point out that if you are adding extra devices, you need to buy additional copies of the app again anyway. Only home users are permitted to share one purchase of an app on multiple devices. Outside of home use, you are in breach of the licence if you use it on more than one device.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply AT,

Just to be crystal, you don't really need to do anything with the code that are bought if you just use a single account on the iPads. All you need to do is add the purchase to your licencing records as proof of purchase?

Thank Post
    When you buy through the VPP I think the redemption codes have to be allocated individually to each device using a MDM system. That's what we do (using Meraki Systems Manager), and I've not tried redeeming it any other way.

Thank Post
    Ah okay, I've signed up to Meraki gonna give that a go once our business manager has a credit card setup for school.
    Shame we can't use the vouchers we have.

M0MST
    Let us know how you get on, We have had no success with it so far, as to this post

Apple Volume Purchase Programme (VPP) - problems

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Be aware that with non-Apple MDM once you assign the serial to a device you can't retrieve that licence to re-use elsewhere, but you can do if you use Apple's own solution.

Thank Post
    Which is Apple's solution? Apple Configurator?

Thank Post
    Apple ProfileManager / MyDevices - the MDM solution built in to OSX Server.

Thank Post
    Cheers will take a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Be aware that with non-Apple MDM once you assign the serial to a device you can't retrieve that licence to re-use elsewhere, but you can do if you use Apple's own solution.
    According to this blog post, you can get the code back in Meraki if you need to- Meraki Mobile Device Management | admin

Near the bottom it says- "Especially if it is a paid for app you are adding make sure you tick the ‘remove with MDM’ box as this will enable you to reclaim the redemption code back at a later day of required."

I've not used Meraki so I can't comment if it is correct. I'm trying to decide myself whether it is best to go with Meraki and push apps wirelessly or Apple Configurator and connect to sync and charge trolley. From that blog post, it sounds like Meraki works nicely but I've heard a lot of people had trouble with it.

Thank Post
    About to use the Meraki app deployment with paid for appsfrom the VPP for the first time. Can anyone confirm which code I enter into the box?
    I've downloaded the codes from the VPP site and I get a spreadsheet that contains
    a code
    and
    a code redemption link?

Which do i enter in the meraki box? dont want to enter the wrong thing and mess it all up and end up being able to get back the licence etc

Thank Post
    Just learnt there's Microsoft inTune cloud management for mobile devices, going to investigate that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast