+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Apple VPP, how exactly am I ment to use it? in Technical; Entered the correct codes in to the box, and deployed the app. The ipad picks up the command to install ...

Thank Post
    Entered the correct codes in to the box, and deployed the app.

The ipad picks up the command to install and asks me to enter the apple ID and password. However it rejects the apple VPP account ive setup that i used to buy the apps in the first place and says that, that particular ID can only be used within the VPP store?

So which apple ID should i be entering on the ipad to install it?

Thank Post
    You'll have 2 VPP accounts, one is the master account, then a subadministrator account which you purchased with.

Neither of these are Apple ID's so neither will work, you'll need a third account which has been setup through iTunes, not VPP, to act as your Apple ID.

Are you using a MDM software or Apple Configurator?

3. Thanks to RTFM from:

Max_Power (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    You'll have 2 VPP accounts, one is the master account, then a subadministrator account which you purchased with.

Neither of these are Apple ID's so neither will work, you'll need a third account which has been setup through iTunes, not VPP, to act as your Apple ID.

Are you using a MDM software or Apple Configurator?
    Thanks @RTFM

Using Meraki. Works well for free apps, just struggling with the VPP paid for ones at the moment and help documentation is limited.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    Thanks @RTFM

Using Meraki. Works well for free apps, just struggling with the VPP paid for ones at the moment and help documentation is limited.
    This is how we've done it, rightly or wrongly.

Purchase our licenses through VPP. Done nothing with them but save them, bought an app once from the itunes store using a different account, put that onto a device and got that device exactly how we want it. Clone this x number of times (backup the original, restore it to the rest).

If Apple ever ask, we have our VPP licenses, the above is just the easiest way to do it. MDM solutions aren't upto the job and the Apple configurator is rubbish (at least from our experiences and with the end goals we wanted to achieve with the devices).

Maybe not the best but its worked for us.
    Last edited by RTFM; 23rd January 2013 at 07:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    You can use any Apple ID that is NOT linked to VPP to actually do the install. We use a single ID per class set, and also use Meraki, so rest assured it does work once you've got it going.

Thank Post
    I set up the VPP this week and purchased a load of apps and deployed them through the Meraki MDM. The user of the iPad (in our case teachers) gets a message to install the app and they enter the passwork of the Apple ID they have set up on the device and thats it. It works a treat

Steve

Bev

Thank Post
    Is there anyway to deploy apps without having to enter the password on each machine?

I've just got 8 ipads at the moment, so that's not too bad, but I can forsee a situation where we end up with 30 and I didn't expect to have to enter the password on each one? I assume Meraki would just send the app out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Is there anyway to deploy apps without having to enter the password on each machine?

I've just got 8 ipads at the moment, so that's not too bad, but I can forsee a situation where we end up with 30 and I didn't expect to have to enter the password on each one? I assume Meraki would just send the app out.
    Here is what Meraki say...

When Apps are deployed via MDM, Apple requires an Apple ID and password for the app to be installed. Apps downloaded and installed via Apple Configurator do not require entering an Apple ID and password, however, the iOS device has to be physically connected to the OS X device running Apple Configurator.
    With iOS 6, the device caches a users password for 15 minutes. If you install FREE apps in batches via Systems Manager with iOS 6, you will have to enter the password once instead of doing it for every single App.
    Paid apps redeemed via VPP redemption codes still require the user to enter a password for EVERY app. Devices running pre-iOS 6 will be required to enter a password for every app regards of whether it is free or paid

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We use a single ID per class set, and also use Meraki, so rest assured it does work once you've got it going.
    I'm just looking at setting all this up and wanted one ID per year group. How did you do the setting up of the ID with date of birth and security questions, etc. Just choose something generic and write it down?

Thank Post
    Yes, that's what I did. Just a generic DOB and write it all down somewhere safe.

12. Thanks to j224 from:

Andie (28th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Be aware that with non-Apple MDM once you assign the serial to a device you can't retrieve that licence to re-use elsewhere, but you can do if you use Apple's own solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by j224 View Post
    According to this blog post, you can get the code back in Meraki if you need to- Meraki Mobile Device Management | admin

Near the bottom it says- "Especially if it is a paid for app you are adding make sure you tick the ‘remove with MDM’ box as this will enable you to reclaim the redemption code back at a later day of required."

I've not used Meraki so I can't comment if it is correct. I'm trying to decide myself whether it is best to go with Meraki and push apps wirelessly or Apple Configurator and connect to sync and charge trolley. From that blog post, it sounds like Meraki works nicely but I've heard a lot of people had trouble with it.
    Just to clarify this for anyone following the thread now or in the future - you can only reclaim and reuse a VPP code via Meraki (or any other MDM) IF the target device (iPad) is 'Supervised' - to be supervised, you have to set up the device using Apple Configurator on a Mac, but it does have other side effects which you might not desire so it's a case of balancing your options.

(Apple Configurator only works via cable/cradle, not over the air, and I've read tonight that you can't browse the devices photos etc in Windows when you connect a supervised device by USB.)

We're getting 150 iPads shortly, and hadn't planned on USB'ing them at all - hand out to staff still boxed with instructions to join the Meraki network. This will be enforced by the fact that our staff wifi is MAC address authenticated, which we won't harvest until it shows up in Meraki - there will be an un-authenticated wifi which is only allowed to *.apple.com and *.meraki.com (and the relevant subsidiaries such as iCloud) for setup purposes. Thus if they don't join Meraki they won't get Internet access or the school-bought VPP apps deployed!

Shame we can't reclaim the VPP codes when staff leave and the device is wiped. (Although, thinking aloud literally as I type...if the serial number and MAC address are the same, when the device is reconnected to Meraki it should pick up the same VPP code...?...?)

Something for me to try out tomorrow before I go visit #John. (No idea how to link usernames on here yet!)

Peter

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    You can use any Apple ID that is NOT linked to VPP to actually do the install. We use a single ID per class set, and also use Meraki, so rest assured it does work once you've got it going.
    Can I clarify something here. You buy your apps through VPP. A prompt then shows on the iPad to install the app and you use the same iTunes account on a full trolley worth?

Thank Post
    You can browse the Camera Roll on a Suupervised iPad connected to a Windows computer via USB.

Edu-IT. You purchase the app on VPP using an account which will not login to the iTunes Store as it is a different type of account. You get a spreadsheet of unlock codes which you import into Apple Configurator with the App.

I am struggling to find out how you acquire an app installer without buying a copy first. At the moment I have to login to iTunes using an account that can and make a purchase of the app so I can download it. I then have to login to the VPP store using another account to buy the discounted licenses. As we only have 20 loaner iPads I have to buy 21 licenses in total - 20 at a discount and another at full price in the iTunes store to get the actual app installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12