+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Samsung Galaxy Ace - Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp in Technical; Well I got me a Samsung Galaxy Ace for my birthday. I was running a Blackberry Curve before which handled ...
    Thank Post

Samsung Galaxy Ace - Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp

Well I got me a Samsung Galaxy Ace for my birthday. I was running a Blackberry Curve before which handled Whatsapp, Facebook and Twitter reasonably well.

Not so with my Galaxy Ace. It has a phone memory of about 200Mb and although I have a 2Gb SD card in it too, I can't get any of the aforementioned apps to move over to it.

I've installed SDK Manager and "hacked" the phone and tried to move them to the SD card but they say there's not enough memory. I've uninstalled them and set the default install location to the SD card but get a message saying they can't be installed to this media.

Has anyone got these three apps working well on a Galaxy Ace? At the moment I'm getting daily messages saying my internal storage is almost full and then I have to clear the data on Facebook and Twitter (about 10Mb) to free up enough space to carry on. Which is frustrating to say the least!!

Thank Post
    get it rooted and look for System Cleaner from xda developers - allowed me to move some of the apps to the SD Card (Eg Facebook)
    Has a few other features such as being able to clear the davlik cache and uninstall / freeze apps

3. Thanks to Gatt from:

kaphc (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a Galaxy Ace too and find it very frustrating with respect to the lack of memory to even just update some of the basic apps let alone installing others. It's so slow too when I compare it with newer phones live the Galaxy S2, etc.

I am now looking to get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/STAR-N9770-S...I3T6FMLT1EV4ZF

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    get it rooted and look for System Cleaner from xda developers - allowed me to move some of the apps to the SD Card (Eg Facebook)
    Has a few other features such as being able to clear the davlik cache and uninstall / freeze apps
    Yeah I've done a bit of searching online too and the recommendation to root the phone is coming up again and again. Where would I stand on the phone warranty if I did this though?

Fortunately I've got this phone on a one year contract so it only has 11 months to go :-) What I find weird though is that my daughter has a Galaxy Y and my fella has the same phone but the some of the pre-installed apps are different sizes, e.g. Google Maps which is 4Mb on a Galaxy Y, 6-7Mb on his Galaxy Ace but nearly 12Mb on my Galaxy Ace - and this is the app size, not the data or the cache either.

Good to hear that Facebook will move over eventually though ... I've just got to do some thinking now as everything I read on rooting makes it sound like a serious step to take.

Thank Post
    Cant recall where I got it from (try: [Tutorial]How To Root and Unroot Samsung Galaxy Ace official Gingerbread 2.3 updgrade - xda-developers ) but I got a Root zip that also contained an UNROOT.ZIP with it in case of warranty issues.

Thank Post
    That sounds useful, I'll check that link out and look for an UNROOT option there or wherever I end up getting the info from.

Thank Post
    They have both the ROOT.ZIP and UNROOT.ZIP and I think that's where I got mine from.

Thank Post
    That sounds just the thing then. I will probably spend all week thinking about this and building up to doing this now and then finally sort it at the weekend when I have a bit more time. Being back at work is such a pain!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread