+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Apple Configurator- Deployment in Technical; I am in the process of using Apple Configurator to manage 30 iPads. I have downloaded numbers of free apps ...

Thank Post

Apple Configurator- Deployment

I am in the process of using Apple Configurator to manage 30 iPads. I have downloaded numbers of free apps in iTunes. But when I assign those apps to the pupils' iPads do I need to select each apps individually? Can I organise my apps in the Apple Configurator differently? Do I need to move those downloaded apps to the folders individually as I didn't find creating folder facility in the Apple Configurator? Is there a way to create app folders on the iPads via the Apple Configurator?
    Any suggestions welcome.

Thank Post
    Create one iPad as you would like it, and use the Configurator to make a backup of it. Then restore that backup to the other 29 using the Configurator. This retains your folder settings.

3. Thanks to Abaddon from:

Outlook (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    If you want every ipad to be an exact clone, and to assign volume purchased licences to paid apps to a device, not a user id, then configure them as supervised, this will basically wipe the entire device each time it's connected

5. Thanks to mavhc from:

Outlook (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Like the original poster, I'll soon be getting a number of iPads at our Primary school and am looking into the best ways to manage them.

Been reading through the iOS Education Deployment Guide and there's no mention of the Apple Configurator, but I guess it could have been written before March 2012 (I believe the program was released then). Am I right in thinking that the Configurator is an improved version of the iPhone Configuration Utility? (I know it's not PC compatible like the iPhone one).

There's also threads about Meraki and other MDM solutions but I'm not sure that we will need that level of control. Just being able to setup a group of iPads (to all be identical), send a selection of apps to them and set some restrictions will be good enough I think.

James.

Thank Post
    Configurator should do that, you need to apply for the volume licencing program too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Configurator should do that, you need to apply for the volume licencing program too.
    Thanks. Yeah I've applied for volume licensing and we've been accepted but I haven't used it to buy anything yet.

The thing which has confused me slightly is reading this- http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5188
    Under the 'Purchasing VPP Apps' section it says:

"Use an Apple ID that is not the ID of the VPP program facilitator or designated purchaser to log into the iTunes Store."

I don't understand why you use a different Apple ID to the one you've registered through the volume license programme??
    Last edited by j224; 6th December 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Thank Post
    I would go with Meraki. You create a profile online, bind the iPad and off you go. I had some issues with Apple Configurator and PAID apps, worked fine for free ones.

Edit: A large part of the issue was ensuring that you made them managed rather than just deployed. If you deploy them the key for a paid app (e.g. Pages) is binded to that iPad forever. However if you manage them, when you un-manage them it releases the code to be used with another iPad. This system is good an theory, but a pain to actually use, we lost a few keys that way .
    Last edited by Tsonga; 6th December 2012 at 02:04 PM.

Thank Post
    The whole system is terribly designed for actual use, obviously half just a kludge on top of individual accounts, and half them trying to get more money out of you by paying for everything multiple times. Way too many compromises.

Thank Post
    It is all terribly confusing. Everyone is saying different things. Some say use Apple Configurator, some say use iPhone Configurator (stupid name when it does iPads and iPods too, but I guess that's why they came out with Apple Configurator), some say use Meraki, some say don't use Meraki because it's awkward to get working properly (I'm on SWGfL like a few others on this forum).

Another 'problem' is that a lot of schools are setting up iPads as 1:1 and essentially loaning out iPads to students for the whole year and then writing articles about how they set everything up. But that's not really helpful for those that just have 15 or 20 devices that get shared around the whole school like we intend to do.

Then there's the bug with the volume licensing which someone else has just created a thread about, whereby an error is shown if more than 20 copies of a paid app is purchased. I've not experienced this first hand because I'm yet to buy anything from the VPP but it's not something I'm looking forward to.

Clearly not everything that Apple creates "just works" or is as easy to setup and use as they'd like to believe.

EDIT: Also just read that using Apple Configurator (which can only be used on a single machine), the 'supervised' iPads cannot be recognised by any other computer so you can't copy photos or videos off without it being hooked up to the original computer. I guess you have to email from the device or put everything into Dropbox?
    Last edited by j224; 6th December 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know how well they work with a Mountain Lion Server?

Thank Post
    Re supervised mode/copying files off: it's best to set up webdav, dropbox etc, I never plug the devices into itunes except for initial setup of wifi password

Thank Post
    We are planning to buy 30 ipads, 18 for a class set and the remaining for teachers 1:1 what is best way to set these up.

Looking at either lightspeed or meraki mdm.

Thank Post
    You can set them in a static mode, so they're "wiped" each time they're plugged into the main itunes computer, then you can assign app volume licences to devices not users iirc, it's all too much of a pain to make using ipads worthwhile really

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread