Poll: What does your school have more of?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, To ipad or not to ipad in Technical; On the verge of doing this now as i've given up trying to get any sense out of it, it ...

Thank Post
    On the verge of doing this now as i've given up trying to get any sense out of it, it wasn't our idea - SLT wanted everything centrally managed via volume purchasing, I'm guessing for budgetary reasons and to stop uneccessary purchases. Also teachers using their own purchase methods and claiming back etc. I'm tempted to do away with everything we've done and say stuff it do what you want.
    Thing is the options there to do it, it's just very badly done imo.

Teachers will probably start wanting itunes next, funny thing is some teachers haven't even picked up their ipads as they don't want one, and one has been returned....

Don't get me wrong, I see some benefits in the things they just are not designed for enterprise and I doubt they ever will.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We just give the teachers itunes vouchers, works very well and they can buy whatever they want.

Departments take responsibility of those vouchers and how they are used.

Thank Post
    I think that's the way forward here, altho why are the tools there to almost do it ? With proper MDM Ipads would be brilliant. Handing out vouchers is just crazy imo, no way of tracking for inappropriate apps (the ipads belong to the school not the user).
    And where's the review process for appropriate apps? Whats to stop a teacher wasting money on rubbish apps?

I'll suggest it to SLT tho something needs sorting as theres talk of all the pupils getting one next september - maybe the tools might mature by then.
    Last edited by caffrey; 7th November 2012 at 01:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Why are you trying to manage the apps?

Why not let users do this themselves?

The only thing we install and setup is Sims Emerge.
    So...if users cant print and cant access their files on the server, what do they use the ipads for? Not sarky, genuine question!

5. 2 Thanks to witch:

JAB1a (7th November 2012), Little-Miss (26th November 2012)

Thank Post
    @caffrey Thanks for letting me know your troubles that you have had, these are all the fears I had realised.

@zag like Caffrey said your route is probable the only sensable way forward with ipads, let the staff/department heads control what software is on them but I do not like the thought of vouchers being handed out and software organised by other people when its me that will be lumbered with sorting the problems out after it all goes wrong (not sure how it could go wrong but those are famous last words).

Do your staff use the ipads for direct teaching tools? (used as part of a lesson) or are they just a teachers resource?

Thank Post
    I'd rather have seen the money spent on laptops (cheaper!) then remove all the (ageing) desktop pcs from the classrooms, but hey i'm only the assistant here *shrugs* ;p
    We are getting a stream of staff coming in with problems with them, something we aren't prepared for.

They can access their files if the infrastructure is sorted first, using something like dropbox or another cloud service for their files - but this wasn't thought of...
    Last edited by caffrey; 7th November 2012 at 02:21 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    So...if users cant print and cant access their files on the server, what do they use the ipads for? Not sarky, genuine question!
    Indeed, good question.

Mainly I would ask why anyone would want to print? We've had ipads for over a year now and I don't think i've had anyone ask to print anything. The ipad is usually used to present the work without the need for paper. Infact its nearly a4 sized and does full colour

For file servers its the same really. People tend to store stuff locally now or on skydrive or email. We have 2 big shared drives that have become virtually redundant since users take all their files with them and its so easy to share with each other. Its just decentralizing things thats all. We do buy ipads that are 32gb though so people can store a lot of stuff themselves.

As I've said before, iPads and tablets in general are moving away from the central shared server infrastructure we are all used to. Its a different way of thinking and surely the future.
    Last edited by zag; 7th November 2012 at 02:46 PM.

Thank Post
    Sounds like it's trying to put us out of a job more like ;p

The other issue is the majority of educational software is windows only, as is a lot of curriculum so Ipads are not the answer, i'm not an old stick in the mud - I love new technologies in the right context but they are just a tool not a replacement surely?
    I've seen excellent demos in classes where the ipad has shown itself to be a worthy replacement for a smart / interactive board (when the apple tvs start being more reliable...). plus pupil / teacher collaboration exercises.

Thank Post
    People tend to store stuff locally now on skydrive or email. We have 2 big shared drives that have become virtually redundant since users take all their files with them and its so easy to share with each other. Its just decentralizing things thats all. We do buy ipads that are 32gb though so people can store a lot of stuff themselves.
    'Just decentralising things' does have the effect of removing control as well as responsibility.
    What's your approach to backups in this situation? Or dealing with equipment damage / theft? Please don't say iCloud...!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    'Just decentralising things' does have the effect of removing control as well as responsibility.
    What's your approach to backups in this situation? Or dealing with equipment damage / theft? Please don't say iCloud...!
    Users responsibility. Although saying that itunes backs things up every time you connect so its quite transparent.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    The other issue is the majority of educational software is windows only
    I would argue the majority of educational software is now app based. All the innovation is coming from the app market as thats where the developers have gone. Just go along to BETT this year and see for yourself

Just as an example our classics department use more apps than they ever did on windows.

Thank Post
    Users responsibility. Although saying that itunes backs things up every time you connect so its quite transparent.
    Where do they have iTunes installed? is it on their work laptop/desktop or is it on their home desktop/pc? just wondering how well this 'backup' is?

Also do you use RM safetynet as your proxy/filter? if not what do you use and how do the ipads coupe with the proxy with regards to accessing internal IP's and also external IP's? (currently reading about AppleTV)

Thank Post
    I don't teach so I can't comment on apps, the other problem is trying to get staff to embrace the technology - the same staff that cried when we removed their roller boards...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    Where do they have iTunes installed? is it on their work laptop/desktop or is it on their home desktop/pc? just wondering how well this 'backup' is?

Also do you use RM safetynet as your proxy/filter? if not what do you use and how do the ipads coupe with the proxy with regards to accessing internal IP's and also external IP's? (currently reading about AppleTV)
    Most sync with their home pc's. But we offer department computers as well. Basically its up to the user.

We use Sophos Web filter box here. No problems connecting to the proxy, you just add the domain/username in the network settings once and they are good to go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

Exactly the point I made earlier - they're consuming media and not actually learning.
    Hence it's a consumer device and best left at home!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast