+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Android 4.2 in Technical; 16GB Nexus 7 is sold out too. https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=nexus7_campaign...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    16GB Nexus 7 is sold out too.
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16gb&feature=nexus7_campaign

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Here are a couple of apps that might be useful to new Nexus owners (both require root however)...

• Multi-User App Share - Share apps between users on Android 4.2.
      I have created this app to help enable apps across users on Google's new 4.2 multi-user feature. The app will then be visible on the second profile without them having to go to the Play Store and install it. Apps still have separate user data so game scores etc. will not be shared.

• BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices
      Unlock your bootloader without fastboot (which means your Nexus device doesn't get wiped)! More details can be found on the XDA thread here.
      This application REQUIRES a Galaxy Nexus (maguro, toro or toroplus), Nexus 4 (mako), or Nexus 10 (manta), with root.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just picked up a Nexus 7 today, hardware is nice and fast but 4.2 is a shocking crashfest, its like going back to Windows 98. It came with 4.1 which seemed a little better but I can only really see me using it as a couch web browser/game machine. Screen is really nice but the charging is a joke, you basically need to have it off for it to actually charge otherwise it will - while plugged in - stay at the level it was or drain slowly.

Got Flash going on it by following the guides and chucking Firefox at it, spent half of today stalking around the app store which is frankly depressing. There are tones of apps but half of them don't work and those that are left are insanely limited or expensive. I'm sure there are some good ones hidden in the haystack.

I think I prefer the older versions of Android TBH.

Edit Tapatalk HD is nice though. I don't have any miracast devices so can't test that.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 29th December 2012 at 10:03 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just picked up a Nexus 7 today, hardware is nice and fast but 4.2 is a shocking crashfest, it's like going back to Windows 98.
    It's much worse on the Nexus 10. Mine rebooted at least eight times in a row just sitting at the lock screen. It also randomly reboots while using certain apps. A temporary workaround is to disable location services and/or restore the factory image, but even then it doesn't prevent the reboots from happening. It's like Windows ME!!!

Btw, there's an app called Bootlog Uptime which enables you to keep track of when it crashes.

Screen is really nice but the charging is a joke, you basically need to have it off for it to actually charge otherwise it will - while plugged in - stay at the level it was or drain slowly.
    Google are going to release a dock that charges the tablet using the pogo pins on the left side. This should be out early next year (because six months or more after the Nexus 7 was released is the perfect time to do so ). AU/NZ should get it by December 2014. I'm not sure if this will be any faster than using the USB/AC adapter however.

There are tons of apps but half of them don't work and those that are left are insanely limited or expensive.
    Yeah. This is incredibly frustrating especially when combined with the fact that most tablet apps are simply resized smartphone apps (often with the added bonus of stretched graphics and blurred buttons). A lot of Android developers are incompetent or lazy, especially when it comes to the design of the UI/UX.

No doubt once Android 5.0 is released early next year, we will have to wait months for developers to make their apps compatible again (if they can be bothered).

I think I prefer the older versions of Android TBH.
    I'm starting to think I should have got an iPad or Surface RT. The rumoured iPad Mini with Retina™ Display is looking very tempting.

I don't have any miracast devices so can't test that.
    MiraCast only works on the Nexus 4. The Nexus 7 and 10 do not support it at all. Likewise, the Nexus 4 can use these HDMI/VGA SlimPort adapters, but the Nexus 7 can't.

When Google finally get their act together with MiraCast or their own open source AirPlay alternative, the Xiaomi Box looks like it might be quite good since it supports MiraCast, AirPlay (inc. video) and DLNA.

I'm sure there are some good ones hidden in the haystack.
    Hidden behind the needles!
    Last edited by Arthur; 29th December 2012 at 03:37 PM.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

SYNACK (30th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm starting to think I should have got an iPad or Surface RT. The rumoured iPad Mini with Retina™ Display is looking very tempting.
    Thanks for the info, figures about miracast, I use dlna for most things. aVia is good for grabbing and pushing dlna. Won't do screen cast though.

I don't think the dock will be quicker as it looks to just pass through the standard USB voltage.

After leaving it overnight it has burnt 50% of the battery, I just wish the W8 stuff was avalible at a reasonable cost. I have a W7 phone and the ui and apps are just better. Androids api is still superior, stuff like accessing WiFi details actually work but us ability wise it is still around Windows 95. It has the useless bar at the bottom eating at least 20px thanks to Apple making buttons illegal and the status bar eating 15px at the top. I'm glad the resolution is as high as it is so I can still see things because of it.

I still can't find a good RDP client that supports NLA and custom resolution. At least all the angry birds stuff if free :-)
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th December 2012 at 07:07 AM.

Thank Post
    After leaving it overnight it has burnt 50% of the battery
    That's a lot! What's using most of the battery?

Btw, you might want to check out the night-mode in Battery Widget? Reborn! Pro.

It has the useless bar at the bottom eating at least 20px thanks to Apple making buttons illegal and the status bar eating 15px at the top. I'm glad the resolution is as high as it is so I can still see things because of it.
    Yeah. That's a bit annoying too, although there is a potential solution if you are willing to install a third-party ROM called Paranoid Android. This has a feature called Expanded Desktop that enables you to make apps full-screen (either temporarily or permanently). I installed it on my Nexus 4 yesterday and it's brilliant.

Before (left), After (right)

I still can't find a good RDP client that supports NLA and custom resolution.
    PocketCloud Remote Desktop Pro is what you need. It supports NLA, RD gateways, VNC and custom resolutions (among other things).

If you want to save a bit of money, buy it when it's on sale. I got it for 6.46 (rather than 9.35) earlier in the year by adding it to my watch list in the AppSales app.
    Last edited by Arthur; 30th December 2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Android 4.2

Thanks, Not sure what ate the battery, put juice defender on which may help, if only the os cold deal with power sensibly itself. Stats seem to have reset too so who knows what it was up to. Just checked, even that power saver is $2, not much but it all adds up and it would mean letting Google near my credit card.

The button to kill the keyboard click sound also does not work which is rubbish and frustrating.

Ended up with the cloud version of RDP eventually but the free one is limited to one PC and is still a bit rubbish, no touchpad mode for instance and no decent full screen mode thanks to that. Additionally I am not massively happy paying ten times as much for RDP on the supposedly cheaper and more mature platform for an inferior product comparatively to ConnectMe on WP7.

I struggle to see how this is the leading mobile OS, 4.2 is majorly squiffy on Google's own hardware without vendor tampering, how bad is it going to be elsewhere.

Edit: the 4.2 system app "People" also does not seem to sync any people data from anything other than Google, Facebook and Live don't show up at all. The Calendar app does not grab Facebook calendars either, only Google or Exchange. Sadly even WP7 is far more open, it grabs contacts and calendars from everywhere.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th December 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Android power saving apps tend to be useless, what you really need is better battery stats [APP][2.1+][29 Dec. - V1.12RC3] BetterBatteryStats - xda-developers to see what is keeping the device awake.

In the office we had to move mobile wireless devices to a new vlan because broadcast tends to wake android up a lot (you want to see a lot of deep sleep when it is not in use).

I don't really like android all that much, but then I don't like iOS either (and I've had both for a while).

It's fine once you root it and remove all the crap (google talk, the book/movie stores, social connectors etc and samsung crap - if you have a samsung). On my S3 I drop 7% overnight, although it would be less if I didn't have sync on for several accounts.

Edit: I do actually prefer Samsung's touchwiz to stock android, but I usually remove 40 or so apps after rooting the S3 firmware.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 30th December 2012 at 02:48 PM.

11. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I don't really like android all that much, but then I don't like iOS either (and I've had both for a while).

It's fine once you root it and remove all the crap (google talk, the book/movie stores, social connectors etc and samsung crap - if you have a samsung). On my S3 I drop 7% overnight, although it would be less if I didn't have sync on for several accounts.

Edit: I do actually prefer Samsung's touchwiz to stock android, but I usually remove 40 or so apps after rooting the S3 firmware.
    Greif, it seems that with all these things they are only any good if you can crack open their sculls and give them a lobotomy. I have seen that you can dump Ubuntu on them so that may be my best bet, I'll give it a week or so then it may be getting a re-flash/install. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
    Last edited by SYNACK; 30th December 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I have seen that you can dump Ubuntu on them so that may be my best bet
    Have you seen the list of known issues?

You're also going to need a USB-OTG adapter and USB hub so that you can connect a proper mouse and keyboard?

If you are going to give your Nexus 7 a lobotomy soon you might as well replace the kernel with one that is more power efficient and/or has more features (like NTFS r/w support) & install TWRP (it's better than ClockworkMod Recovery since it is actually designed for touch screens). If you don't fancy typing in lots of adb and fastboot commands on your PC, download the Nexus Root Toolkit as this can do most of the hard work for you.

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Has anyone with the Nexus 4 having severe battery issues? Better Battery Stats is showing a suspend_backoff wakelock that is absolutely killing my phone. Rooted and running ParanoidAndroid 3.0 with Faux123 kernel. Done a factory reset, fiddling with settings/notifications, all sorts. I've not even had the thing a week and it's driving me insane.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They finally got around to putting out 4.2.2 for my 16GB wifi and it has fixed many of the issues that I was experiencing, I can still get full screen corruption with Chrome Beta - better my rear.

Also found out that installing the Hotmail app made the dirty underlying OS sync with Facebook and other calendars thanks to the fact that they are all nicely linked for my Windows Phone.

It is still a joke for usability in comparison to other options but at least it does not outright suck anymore.

Thank Post
    The mythical covers for the Nexus 10 have finally appeared in the Play Store (4 months and 29 days after the tablet was released!).

Dark Grey: play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_Cover_Dark_Grey?id=nexus_10_cover_gray
    Scarlet: play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_Cover_Scarlet?id=nexus_10_cover_scarlet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    One with a bluetooth keyboard would be good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast