+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, The future of netbooks in Technical; Originally Posted by SPM I think netbooks are going to be replaced by Chromebook type devices just like PDAs have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPM View Post
    I think netbooks are going to be replaced by Chromebook type devices just like PDAs have been replaced by smartphones. The thing that pushes this forward in both cases is the increase in connectivity. Tablets aren't a direct replacement for netbooks, and although the latest Android devices allow multiple users to share a device, tablets are personal devices really, and so realistically are for 1:1 deployments. Chromebooks are good for both 1:1 and shared access.
    Slashdot is reporting that Chromebooks are the top selling laptop (netbook) on Amazon right now. so you may have a point here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post

Just to make the point that Amazon is a consumer website and that list shows what people are buying for use in the main at home. Technology purchases should made be relative to the person using it - this is why netbooks in schools will still continue for the time being as they are cheaper than full priced laptop or ultrabook products, can be flexible and robust, whilst preparing the pupil for future pc and laptop use in Windows. A lot of what an ultrabook can do just isn't needed in class.

I believe that Chromebooks will have a place in this conversation ultimately, but only if the school wants their pupils online all day. I actually think that netbooks are the right long term blend of usability, performance and price point for use in primary school classrooms. Chromebooks and standard laptops become more relevant for secondary with ultrabooks for HE/FE.

As for Android, (and iOS for that matter) why move away from Windows? It's where corporate business is.
    Isn't that what we're preparing the kids for anyway?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    As for Android, (and iOS for that matter) why move away from Windows? It's where corporate business is.
    School taught me locoscript on cp/m because that is what corporate business was using. Back to that old "transferable skills" argument.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As @CyberNerd says, transferable skills are more important than learning a specific interface.

As for apps, I think the wind will change direction in the next few years.
    Microsoft Can't Ignore Google Apps Forever (MSFT)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/te...f.html?hp&_r=0

When application software is no longer needed on your client, the need for specific operating systems is gone.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 2nd January 2013 at 11:49 AM.

SPM

Thank Post
    Just to make the point that Amazon is a consumer website and that list shows what people are buying for use in the main at home. Technology purchases should made be relative to the person using it - this is why netbooks in schools will still continue for the time being as they are cheaper than full priced laptop or ultrabook products, can be flexible and robust, whilst preparing the pupil for future pc and laptop use in Windows. A lot of what an ultrabook can do just isn't needed in class.

I believe that Chromebooks will have a place in this conversation ultimately, but only if the school wants their pupils online all day. I actually think that netbooks are the right long term blend of usability, performance and price point for use in primary school classrooms. Chromebooks and standard laptops become more relevant for secondary with ultrabooks for HE/FE.

Well - netbooks are officially dead now since the only two remaining manufacturers have officially announced that they are discontinuing them from Jan 2013. I think this is something to do with Microsoft not wanting them to compete with the new Windows 8 Pro detachable keyboard tablets priced at a hefty $599 but with similarly slow dual core Atom processors. If netbooks were allowed to be marketed in competition, it is likely that between netbooks, the iPad, and the Google Nexus 7 and 10 tablets, the rather overpriced low end Windows 8 pro tablets with their comparatively low performance and widely disliked Metro interface would die a slow and lingering death.

The problem with netbooks has always been Microsoft's limiting specification - the crippled Windows XP and 7 versions that were permitted on netbooks and the artificial 7" and 10" screen size and keyboard size, RAM and processor limits. While Moore's law meant that bigger screen size and resolutions became cheaper, as did faster processor and RAM, the netbook was stuck within Microsoft's artificial straight jacket which remained the same, in order to qualify for Microsoft's Windows discounts and advertising rebates which were intended to keep Linux netbooks from being sold in significant numbers or advertised by OEMs, and to prevent netbooks from cannibalising the market for more expensive Windows PC on which Microsoft could levy the "Microsoft Tax" to pay for the predatory discounts to subsidize Windows netbooks.

I think Chromebooks - or at least the infrastructure that allows them to work is the ideal solution for higher education and further education as well. A large proportion of universities use Google Apps for domains already, and the use of Windows local applications in a university or further education context is severely problematic. The reason for this is most of these institutions cannot afford to provide and manage locked down Windows laptops for their students on a 1:1 basis (in particular the IT support and maintenance costs for students' client Windows laptops would be horrendous). Therefore they adopt web based course content management systems like Moodle or Blackboard, and Citrix reciever, Ericom HTML5 remoter access etc. and use a BYOD approach. In this context, providing students Windows software to install on their own devices would be a major no no, due the the major legal issues regarding licensing and piracy which would be inevitable. Hence the use of Citrix or Ericom HTML5 server connectors for remote access to Windows applications by students. Now this web based environment, though not tied to any particular device, is exactly what Chromebooks operate in, so in such a BYOD environment, students can use any client device they want - Windows laptops, Chromebooks, Macbooks, iPads, Android tablets etc. They work with everything and don't need any client installation either - all that is required is an HTML5 browser. This is the future for higher education and further education.
    Last edited by SPM; 2nd January 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Slashdot is reporting that Chromebooks are the top selling laptop on Amazon right now.
    No. 2 in the UK too.

the 64GB Surface RT is fifth and the awful Acer C7 Chromebook is sixth.

SPM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    No. 2 in the UK too.

the 64GB Surface RT is fifth and the awful Acer C7 Chromebook is sixth.
    What is interesting is that the in the UK it is number 2 despite, and probably because of being sold out most of the time at the RRP of 229. In the US it is number 1 at a hiked up price of $328.49 compared to a RRP of $249 - such is the demand for these things.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Laptop Computers

Thank Post
    the netbook was stuck within Microsoft's artificial straight jacket which remained the same
    This was the most annoying thing about netbooks and one of the reasons I never bought one. The only netbook that actually looked fairly decent was the HP Mini-Note 2140 because it had a 10.2" 1366768 LCD which obviously meant dialog boxes actually fit on the screen.

The artificial restrictions weren't entirely Microsoft's doing though. Intel also didn't want cheap Atom-based netbooks cannibalising sales of laptops with their more expensive (and much more profitable) processors.

Thank Post
    In the US it is number 1 at a hiked up price of $328.49 compared to a RRP of $249 - such is the demand for these things.
    That is quite interesting. It's also nice to see American's paying more than we do for a change.

Perhaps the other reason it is popular is due to it looking a tiny bit like a MacBook Air?

Thank Post
    Well - netbooks are officially dead now since the only two remaining manufacturers have officially announced that they are discontinuing them from Jan 2013. I think this is something to do with Microsoft not wanting them to compete with the new Windows 8 Pro detachable keyboard tablets priced at a hefty $599 but with similarly slow dual core Atom processors. If netbooks were allowed to be marketed in competition, it is likely that between netbooks, the iPad, and the Google Nexus 7 and 10 tablets, the rather overpriced low end Windows 8 pro tablets with their comparatively low performance and widely disliked Metro interface would die a slow and lingering death.
    Whilst I'm not doubting anything said re: Chromebooks in HE and FE - there are netbook products about that are continuing. The Intel Convertible netbook isn't going away and is a great product for primary education where needs are more aligned to introductory pc use: it's flexible, robustly designed and at a low price, giving younger pupils a bit of pc and a bit of tablet - see this Classmate 2S

I think there will continue to be a range of specific products available which are relevant to the needs of the schools using them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Perhaps the other reason it is popular is due to it looking a tiny bit like a MacBook Air?
    It's probably no accident.
    Why do you think I bought this?

It's a lovely little Samsung Q330, quite a few years old, but still going strong. Samsung make very nice laptops, and this just shouted 'buy me'. The build quality is streets ahead of the HP stuff I've had. The Q330's 13" screen is a perfect size for me.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 2nd January 2013 at 01:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123