+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, The future of netbooks in Technical; I hope netbooks don't go completely, The low cost and portability are brilliant. I get a lot more use out ...

Thank Post
    I hope netbooks don't go completely, The low cost and portability are brilliant. I get a lot more use out of my netbook that I ever did out of my old laptop. I've yet to find a use for the tablet we have at work, other than showing off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It may look like a netbook, but netbooks usually do not have high-res touchscreens and two batteries (one in the tablet and another in the dock itself).
    My netbooks do have touchscreens, so there!

Thank Post
    Interesting article from Stone here regarding the end of Windows 7 Starter, effectively adding 40+ to a netbook price.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Asus did announce the end of it's netbook production last month: The beginning of the death of the netbook?, and tbh, we have all seen the price of netbooks creep steadily upwards over the past few years to a point where a laptop then becomes better value.
    Often there would be an almost 200 difference between the top and low end with very little hardware wise to tell between them.
    I liked netbooks when they were cheap and did what they said on the tin. I just didn't like the huge price creep once they became a fashion item. The move to tablets will be a good one I feel and I suspect that the size and usability of smaller tablets such as the Nexus 7 will see a lot more healthy implementation of differing hardware and OS platforms than happened with netbooks.

Thank Post
    Can't see netbooks having much of a future now, although I reckon the Lenovo x131e will continue to sell as it's more of a business machine. Can you still get them with an i3 rather than AMD CPU?

I'm still a bit gutted Windows 8 won't run on original netbook screen resolutions as performance wise it's great for those devices (even runs well on a Samsung Q1 Ultra)

Thank Post
    Products offering the best of both worlds - netbook and tablet hybrids - appear to offer flexibility whilst retaining core pc functionality, for example keyboard use. Other features including robustness allow a sturdily built product to become mobile and used outside of the standard classroom.

Specifications have improved whilst pricing has come down - Classmate 2S - this convertible netbook is being offered around 299 for Windows 7 Starter with Atom dual core processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD and a 10hr battery.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Asus did announce the end of its netbook production last month
    Asus' new F201E laptop looks like a good netbook substitute...

Specifications
    • 11.6″ Screen (1366 x 768)
    • Dual Core 1.1Ghz Intel Celeron 847
    • 4GB RAM
    • 500GB HDD
    • Integrated Graphics
    • 3 x USB (inc. 1 x USB 3.0)
    • HDMI
    • Ethernet & WiFi

Thank Post
    Our problem is we have a 1:1 ratio of computers in KS4 (Year 9,10 11) here , and they are all netbooks. Kids check it out before registration, keep it on them all day, and return for charging at home time, have been doing this for last 4 years and its works really well, and its liked by Staff and Kids. We can get Asus Netbooks at 175 each so i'st just an investment of 21,000 each year roughly and we get 3 years out of them. But if these are being killed off it might cause us a few issues unless the replacements are close to the 200 mark.

9. Thanks to Quackers from:

SimpleSi (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are inevitably dying because they're at the bottom end of the market so the profit margins are terrible, and their target market of "portable computing" is being superseded by tablets to a large extent.

Unfortunately tablets only replace a small subset of a netbook's functionality, albeit the subset that most consumers care about. Personally I love the handful of netbooks we have - we don't have classrooms of them, but SENCO have a few for certain students and we use one for when we're on walkabout fixing things, makes things a lot quicker and easier if you have AD in the palm of your hand instead of having to find an empty PC nearby to connect to servers.

For word processing and web browsing the C-50 based netbooks were awesome, and I mourn their passing. Though probably not as much as AMD, who only managed to make a viable chip for the segment a year or so before said segment vanished.

Thank Post
    Coming to this one late so just adding 2 cents worth
    I use netbooks because they are
    1. Cheap
    2. Battery lasts all day
    3. Cheap
    4. Battery lasts all day.

I've managed to kit out quite a few schools so that they can have have a whole class on a computer at a reasonable price and use them sequentialling from one class to the next.

If machines come along with batteries that last ALL day, then I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than 200 for them but NOT going to spend 600 (or anywhere close) for one and NOT going to buy them if the battery only lasts 90 mins.

(I'd rather beowolf some RaspberryPis into a old 17 inch crts and personally deploy them each lesson!)

Simon

12. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SYSMAN_MK (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    If machines come along with batteries that last ALL day, then I wouldn't mind paying a bit more than 200 for them
    Aren't they called desktop PCs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    My netbooks do have touchscreens, so there!
    All of our curriculum workstations have touch screens. The kids sneeze into their hands and then touch them

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    All of our curriculum workstations have touch screens. The kids sneeze into their hands and then touch them
    Yeah, so do mine. Personally I wouldnt have chosen touchscreens - not in a school - not ever....

Thank Post
    We haven't got touchscreens as such. The snotty kids just wipe their snotty hands over the screens!

SPM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    We are starting to look at a big update to our system. New servers, network upgrade and wireless. We had a supplier in last week and he told us that manufcturers are moving away from Netbooks in favour of Tablets. Is he right?
    I think netbooks are going to be replaced by Chromebook type devices just like PDAs have been replaced by smartphones. The thing that pushes this forward in both cases is the increase in connectivity. Tablets aren't a direct replacement for netbooks, and although the latest Android devices allow multiple users to share a device, tablets are personal devices really, and so realistically are for 1:1 deployments. Chromebooks are good for both 1:1 and shared access.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast