+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 191
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Microsoft Surface in Technical; Supplier emailed to say it has arrived and they are posting it to me for the morning. Hopefully it will ...
  1. #91
    HMCTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    618
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Supplier emailed to say it has arrived and they are posting it to me for the morning. Hopefully it will be unopened.

  2. #92


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,766
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Rep Power
    779

  3. Thanks to Arthur from:

    Alis_Klar (1st November 2012)

  4. #93


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,766
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    Blatant product placement on NCIS!


  5. #94

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    260
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Been testing the Windows RT, can access shares like your normally would with in windows. You can print to networked printers just as you would in normal windows (although i've had a few issues with Konica Minolta printers that used a pop up to print. The pop up doesnt appear)

  6. Thanks to nathan from:

    Alis_Klar (5th November 2012)

  7. #95

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,076
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769

    Here is the image of the Surface skateboard, says something about its robustness
    https://twitter.com/surface/status/261537378957676544

  8. #96


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,766
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    The kickstand is hard to break too.


  9. #97


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,766
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Rep Power
    779

  10. #98
    flyinghaggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    994
    Thank Post
    99
    Thanked 70 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    In terms of the x86 based surface pro there's a lot of rumours floating about the internet suggesting the 90-day release delay might be so that they can equip it with intel's upcoming haswell chip rather than the current Ivy Bridge range. From what I've been reading it's literally suppoed to offer nearly a 20-30% improvement in performance whilst using around half the power of the current Ivy bridge tech. Graphics performance is also supposed to be double that of the existing HD4000 chipset.



    All sounds very promising for the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 tablets out next year
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd November 2012 at 11:23 PM.

  11. #99

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,076
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    In terms of the x86 based surface pro there's a lot of rumours floating about the internet suggesting the 90-day release delay might be so that they can equip it with intel's upcoming haswell chip rather than the current Ivy Bridge range. From what I've been reading it's literally suppoed to offer nearly a 20-30% improvement in performance whilst using around half the power of the current Ivy bridge tech. Graphics performance is also supposed to be double that of the existing HD4000 chipset.



    All sounds very promising for the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 tablets out next year
    Good call on the delay if it is for that but still ashame that after all these years its still a wintel hold being put on the cool new MS stuff.

  12. #100


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,766
    Thank Post
    222
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Rep Power
    779
    The Surface Pro should cost approx. 576.93 (64GB) and 644.09 (128GB) ex. VAT if the prices on Notebook.de are anything to go by.

  13. #101

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,047
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 913 Times in 716 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The Surface Pro should cost approx. 576.93 (64GB) and 644.09 (128GB) ex. VAT if the prices on Notebook.de are anything to go by.
    Would be pretty awesome if that was the price range! ;-) I WILL be purchasing one for sure, regardless! Happy Days! for now, i'll just continue to use Windows 8 on my normal laptop device! ;-)

    James.

  14. #102

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,076
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Grrrrr, stupid NZ logic, just found the first few places selling Windows RT based tablets (note we don't get surface as MS doesn't give an excrement). The RT stuff is $400 more than the x86 stuff. Acer W8 - $800, Samsung RT - $1200. That is about 600 pounds for the cut down version. Looks like x86 really is the only option, at least here where the less featurefull device is 1/3 more than the more advanced one.

    NZ is a hateful country. I should just milk cows or something.

  15. #103


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Grrrrr, stupid NZ logic, just found the first few places selling Windows RT based tablets (note we don't get surface as MS doesn't give an excrement). The RT stuff is $400 more than the x86 stuff. Acer W8 - $800, Samsung RT - $1200. That is about 600 pounds for the cut down version. Looks like x86 really is the only option, at least here where the less featurefull device is 1/3 more than the more advanced one.

    NZ is a hateful country. I should just milk cows or something.
    Is this just a tax thing? surely there is an opportunity for us in the first world to ship you products?

  16. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

    SYNACK (8th November 2012)

  17. #104

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11,076
    Thank Post
    853
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Is this just a tax thing? surely there is an opportunity for us in the first world to ship you products?
    Its a combo of stupid taxes - govt bangs on about being a tech/knowledge economy then taxes tech at a high rate - , and vendors either not bothering or inflating their prices hugely. Or core switch for example was 66% cheaper thanks to the suppliers importing all but the PSUs from America. This is 66% cheaper than the NZ EDU price when comparing to the standard US price, in this case more than enough to buy a decent brand new car.

    I am considering using one of the onshipping companies or something to get a hold of a surface pro when they come out in the developed world as by the time MS releases them here it will probably be as part of a stock clearance at the original release price in the US.

  18. #105

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,036
    Thank Post
    83
    Thanked 187 Times in 154 Posts
    Rep Power
    83
    NZ is a hateful country. I should just milk cows or something.
    I travelled round NZ. Lovely country and lovely people.

  19. Thanks to edutech4schools from:

    SYNACK (8th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft Surface at BETT 09
    By apearce in forum BETT 2014
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 22nd January 2009, 04:25 PM
  2. Microsoft Surface
    By m1ddy in forum Windows
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th May 2008, 03:22 PM
  3. The Microsoft Surface
    By Mr_T in forum Hardware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th June 2007, 08:48 AM
  4. Microsoft Surface
    By russdev in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th June 2007, 09:40 AM
  5. Microsoft Surface (I want!)
    By Rozzer in forum Windows
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30th May 2007, 03:20 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •