+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Microsoft Surface in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk Oh wow that's an ugly device. I never said it was pretty but it is cheap, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh wow that's an ugly device.
    I never said it was pretty but it is cheap, reasonably robust and not that bad ascetically IMO but I car far more for function than form anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Oh wow that's an ugly device.
    In my experience if you expect anything more than hideous design and sub-standard build quality from Acer you'll be disappointed I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Better to wait and see what Samsung/Asus bring out.

The more I read about WindowsRT the less it appeals. The thing that did surprise me is that the Tegra3 chipsets were even slower that the Intel Atom range. I'd have expected them running a dedicated stripped down OS without any legacy baggage to be quicker but in most of the benchmarks they're around half the speed of Intel's latest atom chipset!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 25th October 2012 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    In my experience if you expect anything more than hideous design and sub-standard build quality from Acer you'll be disappointed I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Better to wait and see what Samsung/Asus bring out.

The more I read about WindowsRT the less it appeals. The thing that did surprise me is that the Tegra3 chipsets were even slower that the Intel Atom range. I'd have expected them running a dedicated stripped down OS without any legacy baggage to be quicker but in most of the benchmarks they're around half the speed of Intel's latest atom chipset!
    Agreed re Acer and although the current two work fine for us at the moment I would not like to put that to the test with a class set.

ARM is actually quite slow at anything it is not specificly designed to do and has a much narrower set of instructions than x86. The intel stuff is generally going to have the raw power over it the whole time. ARM is very good efficiency wise as it is a 'flying gas can' type cpu that just has what it needs. It means that watt for watt it can equal or better the x86 stuff at the moment but you do need more of them.

Where ARM excels at the moment is integration of discrete tasks, stuff like x264 decode, noise cancellation etc. are baked in so that certain tasks can be run in hardware like an ASIC or FPGA. This allows those tasks to run quickly with low power use but if you go outside that window of prehardcoded stuff you're stuffed like Apple and its Siri issues thanks to lack of noise cancellation on earlier phones. A beefier CPU could have easily done it in software but at the expense of power consumption.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    The thing that did surprise me is that the Tegra 3 chipsets were even slower that the Intel Atom range.
    As Synack said, you shouldn't be surprised.

A six year old 1.6 GHz Intel Core Solo will be faster than a 1.5 GHz quad-core Tegra 3 tablet for any apps not specially designed for the SoC!

Thank Post
    When does the Surface with windows 8 get released cant find a specific date? Not interested in the RT version as being able to utilise applications we already have is an important aspect of the trial and one which the RT apparently cant fulfil.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    When does the Surface with windows 8 get released can't find a specific date?
    Surface Pro will be released sometime before 26th January 2013. Microsoft have said it will follow approximately three months after the launch of Windows 8.

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Max_Power (29th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Capita say:

With regards to the query about Windows 8 RT - Any software that needs to be run on Windows 8 RT have to be separate applications written for the Windows 8 RT Operating System and have to be approved by Microsoft and placed in the Windows Store.
    As such, we have no plans to support Windows 8 RT for the SIMS.net system.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Capita say:
    IIRC they did something for the iPad - I'm sure if they see enough schools jump onto Windows 8 they will come up with something (at a cost )

Thank Post
    I want a Pro but if it's going to be the best part of 1000 I'll stick with a laptop... this touchscreen revolution seems to be a good excuse to ramp prices (and profit margins) right back up after PCs \ laptops had pretty much hit the bottom line price-wise

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Capita say:
    Capita are wrong again, apps can be loaded outside of the store and do not need to be approved by Microsoft.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Capita are wrong again, apps can be loaded outside of the store and do not need to be approved by Microsoft.
    Sorry but they mention Windows RT in their statement - they are correct you CANT install anything in the normal way on RT (you need to use the store).

On Windows 8 pro systems you can install SIMS as normal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only if you 'sideload' them, which isn't easy to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Sorry but they mention Windows RT in their statement - they are correct you CANT install anything in the normal way on RT (you need to use the store).
    You can sideload them as @localzuk said and SCCM 2012 SP1 can install them too.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsstore...usinesses.aspx

When it comes to building a Metro style app for business users.....You have two options available:

*Make the app available through the Windows Store, which means the app must adhere to the same certification policies and process required for all apps in the Store

*Build the app internally or sell it directly to the enterprise, which means IT admins must distribute the app directly to end-users within the enterprise, without involving the Store.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...uding-woa.aspx

http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Edge/...-SCCM-2012-SP1

SCCM 2012 SP1 can do both windows store apps and appx files, as well as iOS ipa, iOS store application, google play application and android apk files!
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 29th October 2012 at 11:57 AM.

15. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Alis_Klar (31st October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can sideload them as @localzuk said and SCCM 2012 SP1 can install them too.

Deploying Metro style apps to businesses - Windows Store for developers - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

When it comes to building a Metro style app for business users.....You have two options available:

*Make the app available through the Windows Store, which means the app must adhere to the same certification policies and process required for all apps in the Store

*Build the app internally or sell it directly to the enterprise, which means IT admins must distribute the app directly to end-users within the enterprise, without involving the Store.

Managing "BYO" PCs in the enterprise (including WOA) - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

EdgeShow 40 - Windows 8 support in SCCM 2012 SP1 | Edge | Channel 9

SCCM 2012 SP1 can do both windows store apps and appx files, as well as iOS ipa, iOS store application, google play application and android apk files!
    Only problem with your explanation is that SCCM can't manage Windows RT devices as far as I can tell. Instead, you have to use 'InTune', Microsoft's cloud based management system.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast