+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Microsoft Surface in Technical; Not sure why people compare the surface pro with an i-pad. I-pads are for consumption and the surface pro is ...

Thank Post
    Not sure why people compare the surface pro with an i-pad. I-pads are for consumption and the surface pro is for production, 2 completely different things.

Thank Post
    Still seems odd that you can't domain an RT... if you were happy with the Metro apps for Office and wanted to primarily view documents on it surely the domain feature is simple enough to add in there?

I think they missed a trick on that one (or alternatively have made a clever move by forcing people to spend more £££ on the Pro version to get the feature set they want)

Thank Post
    Just to put the record straight – the Surface RT is (mainly) a consumer device; it does not run full Windows 8 applications and should be compared against an Android/iPad Tablet.
    The key advantage it does have however is the fact it runs Windows.

That means yes to (among many other things)
    Native network share connection
    Native Word/Excel/PowerPoint

However the Surface RT is just as suitable in education as the Apple iPad – which basically means it is wholly unsuitable and the worst possible (I would use the word stupid if speaking to someone direct) idea you could come up with.

The Surface Pro (and other Windows 8 tablets) however ARE ideal for education/business as they can above all else be domain joined and managed using the tools that we all know and love (you can even manage Modern UI/Metro style applications through GPO!).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Just to put the record straight – the Surface RT is (mainly) a consumer device; it does not run full Windows 8 applications and should be compared against an Android/iPad Tablet.
    The key advantage it does have however is the fact it runs Windows.
    That's not really an advantage then. The reason windows is/was good is because of its apps. There is a serious shortage of functional educational metro apps for RT which really makes it less functional than an ipad which is "wholly unsuitable and the worst possible idea you could come up with."

5. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Alis_Klar (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    That's not really an advantage then. The reason windows is/was good is because of its apps. There is a serious shortage of functional educational metro apps for RT which really makes it less functional than an ipad which is "wholly unsuitable and the worst possible idea you could come up with."
    A shortage of Metro Style Apps yes - but on a full on Surface/other x86 Windows 8 tablet EVERY program you use in your school (be it Google Earth/2D Design/Adobe CS6/RM Maths/ect) will all work as well as the Modern UI style apps. So anyone who says Windows 8 has a shortage of Apps......point them at the millions of Windows programs that are already out there.

As I said the Surface RT is not suitable for education but neither is the iPad (IMO) Surface Pro......yep thats the ticket!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    As I said the Surface RT is not suitable for education but neither is the iPad (IMO) Surface Pro......yep thats the ticket!
    Al device for a fraction of the price with a Citrix connection seems to be winning strategy then...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Al device for a fraction of the price with a Citrix connection seems to be winning strategy then...
    In theory yes - I think the HP/Dell guys will be the ones we will end up seeing in schools though.
    With Intel Atom instead of i5 CPUs (like Surface Pro) they will be a lot more affordable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gotta say, if the RT was domain manageable, I'd be chomping at the bit to replace our ipads with them. Desktop apps do not work well on touchscreens - the controls are all wrong for your fingers to use accurately.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I think there'll be some impressive x86 chips about for tablets in the next couple of years.
    There will be 8-core Atom's next year. These will finally be able to execute instructions out-of-order (like regular x86 processors can) so there should be a noticeable improvement in performance compared to previous Atom's.

Avoton's eight-core processors will feature clock speeds of between 1.6GHz and 2.4GHz, while including OOE (out-of-order execution) as well as Turbo Boost. Current Centerton-based Atom processors should be left behind performance wise by these new Edisonville platform-based Atom processors.

Turbo Boost will see the clock speeds reach around 2.7GHz which is quite good considering these new SoC will only come with a TDP of 6 to 8.5W. The Avoton SoC will have a TDP of somewhere between 6 and 20W. Avoton will improve upon Centerton's formula by throwing more features on-die, which will include gigabit ethernet, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. (Source)

Thank Post
    Good old Intel lagging behind AMD.....E-350 already has out of order ex

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I can't believe no one has posted the ad yet, it looks like they actually hired advertisers who wanted to sell the product this time which is quite a change
    Here's another good advert that shows Surface in use. It actually looks pretty cool.

Thank Post
    Good old Intel lagging behind AMD.....E-350 already has out of order ex
    It will be interesting to see how these new Atom's compare to AMD's APUs (especially the new Z-60 designed for tablets). Atom's so far have been very lackluster in terms of performance.

Thank Post
    Surface (preordered) like many have said, is a direct ipad competitor and priced less expensively. Combined with o365e then it's pretty much got everything tied up.

I've been running win8 enterprise on a samsung series7 tablet for a while.
    Its good.
    Then I installed DirectAccess 2012.

All I can say is 'wow'. ticks all the boxes that your SMT/middle management have been moaning about, and ipads cant deliver. (watch the goal posts move when they find out their ipad toys arent the answer)

Win8 on the SS7 really came to life.
    Its a bit like lync - you think it's just another gadget/gizmo but once you have it, you really cant live without it and it makes everything else feel outdated. I actually feel physically disconnected now when i use my desktop PC at home and cant access work (although I have remote desktop, VPN etc). Connect using the directaccess enabled device and it's like the world is complete again.

15. Thanks to jc1875 from:

jamesfed (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1875 View Post
    Surface (preordered) like many have said, is a direct ipad competitor and priced less expensively. Combined with o365e then it's pretty much got everything tied up.

I've been running win8 enterprise on a samsung series7 tablet for a while.
    Its good.
    Then I installed DirectAccess 2012.

All I can say is 'wow'. ticks all the boxes that your SMT/middle management have been moaning about, and ipads cant deliver. (watch the goal posts move when they find out their ipad toys arent the answer)

Win8 on the SS7 really came to life.
    Its a bit like lync - you think it's just another gadget/gizmo but once you have it, you really cant live without it and it makes everything else feel outdated. I actually feel physically disconnected now when i use my desktop PC at home and cant access work (although I have remote desktop, VPN etc). Connect using the directaccess enabled device and it's like the world is complete again.
    Still trying to get DirectAccess to work here! Every time I give it a go it mucks up DNS

Know what you mean about Lync though - just can't do without it now (full VOIP + IM here) and can see direct access being the same as a replacement to our current VPN.

Thank Post
    Where have you pre ordered the surface from? Every time I check MS website it says out of stock?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast