+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Mobile Phones..... in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Hmm. Was just looking at the Lumias for my wife - her crappy Samsung dumbphone is doing her nut in cos she keeps missing photos of our new 'un. Are they that bad? I was fancying them because a) cheap (can get the 610 free for £11 a month, the 800 for £13.50 a month) b) great cameras including a physical button c) quite easy - I love Android, but it can often be confusing, contradictory and just a bloody mess. All she really does is text, photo and occasionally Facebook, so WP looked perfect.

As for me... well, now I've been looking at phones, I don't half fancy one of those HTC One S handsets. I just don't understand what happened to all the keyboard phones in the UK market, I want a Droid 4 but they're US only

EDIT: The other wife friendly option would, I think, be the Sony Xperia Miro - I've got a Sony atm and it's grand, and the Miro looks a decent mid-range Android 4 phone - but it lacks the physical camera button and woudn't be as user-friendly as WP looks.
    Wait for the 920 or 820 if I was you, the 920's camera appears to be the best smartphone camera by a mile. I picked my 800 up for £250 and will be moving to the 920 as soon as its out.
    The 820 is the cheaper of the 2 but in true nokia style, has interchangable colour covers which could be good/bad depending on how you sit with that.

2. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

sonofsanta (4th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Wait for the 920 or 820 if I was you, the 920's camera appears to be the best smartphone camera by a mile. I picked my 800 up for £250 and will be moving to the 920 as soon as its out.
    The 820 is the cheaper of the 2 but in true nokia style, has interchangable colour covers which could be good/bad depending on how you sit with that.
    We don't want to be spending a great deal of money, though - we're both still on 310 PAYG jobbies atm - and the 900 is already nigh-on £30 a month. If the 820 is imminent that might be why the 800 is cheaper right now. She doesn't need a top-end phone at all, she's currently using this in barbie pink, but something with a nicer camera while James is new & amusing would be wonderful.

Might talk to her about it tonight and order it, looking at thoughts in this thread...

EDIT: Also, on a different note, just noticed that clicking Thanks on post #16 when it's displayed on page 1 of the thread due to live updates results in a "do not have permission" error. The thanks get added but it threw me for a moment.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 4th October 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    We don't want to be spending a great deal of money, though - we're both still on 310 PAYG jobbies atm - and the 900 is already nigh-on £30 a month. If the 820 is imminent that might be why the 800 is cheaper right now. She doesn't need a top-end phone at all, she's currently using this in barbie pink, but something with a nicer camera while James is new & amusing would be wonderful.

Might talk to her about it tonight and order it, looking at thoughts in this thread...

EDIT: Also, on a different note, just noticed that clicking Thanks on post #16 when it's displayed on page 1 of the thread due to live updates results in a "do not have permission" error. The thanks get added but it threw me for a moment.
    The other thing to remember is the 900/800 will be slashed further when the release of the 820/920 is announced.

One thing to say @cpjitservices, take a look at the app store->nokia collection, they have added a few apps which I think flesh out the 800 a bit more.

RE: error, I suspect its a glitch caused by the live thread polling + quick reply + thanks causing the auth key to expire.

5. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

cpjitservices (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Very much looking forward to the 920 being released

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Put a custom ROM on it. Im currently running Jelly Bean with 2gb of storage (it uses the memory card as storage which fools the phone into thinking it has 2gb) thanks to this
    Thanks for that - had been considering something like this, but couldn't find a solid recommendation anywhere for which of the myriad of ROMs were good! I'll check it out.

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict View Post
    Don't get an HTC Desire - my wife has got one and the internal storage is too small. You only get less than 150MB for apps, and believe me, it's nowhere near enough. Updates for built-in apps alone on her phone mean less than 50MB available for downloaded apps. Android is good, but you want a more modern phone than that with much more internal memory.
    This is my current problem. HTC was praised on here so I jumped and went for it. 18 months later I can't update Maps, Flash or do anything as it fills the phone. Can't wait to change the contract/phone, I use it as a browser, fb and eBay, that's it. Have an iPad and fast Internet at home so will see what's out next year and decide.
    Gone are the days a phone last a week without charging

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    Galaxy Note is where it's at people.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,083 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Galaxy Note is where it's at people.
    ... or better still, the Galaxy Note II which was earlier released this week. The original Note is ancient now.

Thank Post
    Lol yeah whatever :-)

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The Razr i looks like it will be a good bet for a mid range phone.
    Tesco have it priced starting at £20.5 per month.
    Motorola Pay Monthly Contract Mobile Phones - Tesco Phone Shop

It's getting pretty good reviews so far, esp for the price.
    Motorola RAZR i review: how does the Droid RAZR M fare with a 2GHz Intel processor inside? -- Engadget

Thank Post
    That's how much I pay for my note.

Ben

Thank Post
    ^ yeah, but that's ancient now :-)

Thank Post
    Thinking of the razr i, or maybe the htc one s, though the latter is becoming hard to find. Really struggling to replace my desire S with something mid-range but SMALL - all the mid range and above phones now are huge, proper pocket-busters.

Thank Post
    Can anyone recommend any roms for the original desire? my contracts about up and I think it's about time I tinkered with it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caffrey View Post
    Can anyone recommend any roms for the original desire? my contracts about up and I think it's about time I tinkered with it
    I've run a few including ICS but I didn't find it very stable or very fast.
    I went back to CyanogenMod V7 http://get.cm/get/jenkins/3075/cm-7.2.0.1-bravo.zip
    HTC Desire (GSM): Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki

18. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

caffrey (8th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast