+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Advice for managing iPads & iPod Touches...please! in Technical; Hi, There's some very useful threads and information on the forum already regarding iPads in schools but I still have ...

Thank Post

Question Advice for managing iPads & iPod Touches...please!

Hi,

There's some very useful threads and information on the forum already regarding iPads in schools but I still have some questions I haven't seen answers to so it would be really helpful is someone could clear things up.

I'm the IT Tech at a primary school and we've just received 2 iPod Touches. Managing just two devices is pretty straight forward to do manually, but it's likely we'll buy more in the future.

There's also plans to buy about 15 iPads in the near future. My first question is whether it's best to setup two iTunes accounts? One to purchase Touch apps and the other for iPad apps. It might make it easier when it comes to syncing them all? However, I'm not sure how this ties in with the new Volume License Programme- whether a school is allowed to sign up two different Apple ID's to act as 'Program Manager'. If we just used one iTunes account, how would you make sure the apps you want just on the iPods don't end up syncing to the iPad?

At the moment I've just setup a new gmail account which I've used as an Apple ID and setup an iTunes account without entering credit card details. Setup the Touches as 'iPod_01' and 'iPod_02', manually configured some restrictions on each device, downloaded some apps on the computer and synced to each Touch separately. I've since learned that it's probably better (especially with more devices) to setup and sync one 'master' device, make a backup of it and sync that to the remaining devices. Will this change the name of all devices to be the same though?

We have a couple of macbooks (being used by senior staff) and a few Macs in the classrooms, but we're mainly Windows. I noticed while reading through the iOS Deployment Guide that iTunes on Windows doesn't allow for multiple devices to be synced (only charged), so if we do get the iPads, we'll probably get a sync & charge trolley with a macbook to go with it which can be used as the 'app-purchasing computer'.

My other issue is with iTunes. Currently I'm using my Windows laptop and have downloaded the iPod Touch apps while at home. While at school, connected to the SWGFL proxy server, I can get onto the App Store and search for an app but as soon as I click to download it I get an error saying there's a problem with the connection. However, if I access the App Store on the iPod Touch (which is connected to the same Wifi), it will let me download the app no problem. The connection issue is the same on a Mac unless I install SquidMan to bypass it.

Sorry for the long post!
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks,
    James.

Thank Post
    Over 100 views and no replies? Have I offended someone?

Thank Post
    Just some general advice - if you're managing a raft of iDevices, having a machine running OS X Lion (or Mountain Lion) Server can be very handy to have around - that can be the App Purchasing PC! You can also look at Meraki Systems Manager (which is free).

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice. I've seen some posts about Meraki on these forums. A friend of mine who already has a number of iPads at his school has recently tested Meraki but had problems with it. He's up around Sheffield but the location tracker said he was in London.

My main query in the post above is to find out about managing iPod Touches AND iPads. Do I just use one iTunes account? Is it easy to control which apps go to the iPad and which ones go to the iPods? And does syncing all devices from one 'master' backup mean that their device names are identical?

James.

Thank Post
    I believe you just use one iTunes account, and your iPads would be the same, and iPods the same - iTunes will see each as a separate type of device that you can sync each 'image' to. Couldn't say about the device names - I imagine if you use some external management then that wouldn't be the case.

Yeah Meraki's location info is sketchy. Probably due to using the school WAN, I bet it'd be better on private networks and better still if it's out and about on 3G. That's one of its tricks though, there are others that may be handy for you. Can't lose if it's free.

Thank Post
    Hi 3s-gtech,

Well, the friend of mine who tried Meraki and had the trouble with the location info was testing the iPads at home, not on the school WAN.

Thank Post
    We are having real problems getting meraki to work within school - tested on a home network and was fine.

SWGfL have even set up a test network on a spare port on our router - to which we've directly attached a test wireless access point.

We've done this to remove our smoothwall box out of the equation.

Only when 1-1 NAT is applied to one of the internal ip's to an external one have we had any success - using ios5.

ios6 using the exact same setup wont work the device gets stuck at the waiting for device to check in....

Thank Post
    Hi kennysarmy,

Can I ask what devices you have in school (and how many)?

We seem to have shifted away a little bit from my original questions at the start of the thread. There's other threads on the forum about Meraki already but it's nice to hear that Meraki is causing problems for other people too.

At the moment we only have 2 iPod Touches but there's plans to get more and at least 15 iPads too in the near future, so I'm trying to plan the best way to manage them before they arrive! Some people are saying that a Mountain Lion Server machine is necessary. Others are saying you just need a macbook (as the Windows version of iTunes doesn't sync to multiple devices?) to act as the app-purchasing machine and hook it up to a charge 'n' sync trolley.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apple Configurator has now been updated to version 1.2 and has some nice updates.

Thank Post
    1 iPAD original
    2 iPAD 2's
    3 iPAD 3's

The iPAD original is in the hand of the 6th form head.
    The three iPAD 3's are in the hands of science teacher, head of art and head of IT

None are locked down.

I've just bought a mac mini - put the apple configurator on it and been able to create "guest" iPAD's which are locked down.

I've had no luck configuring AppleTV's and have sent some diagnostic info. off to Apple so they can assist further.

11. Thanks to kennysarmy from:

j224 (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I see. So does that mean that no students are using the iPads at your school?

How are you downloading and syncing apps to those? Are the teachers with the iPads just downloading and syncing whatever apps they like on their own computers?

Thanks,
    James.

Thank Post
    We have meraki working now.

There's a bunch of ports that need to have outbound access to the internet.

Our iPads are on a wifi network locked down on the Cisco switch so that the device can get to our proxy, VDI and meraki. Spent a while trying to get it to work until I discovered the subnet(s) on the firewall did not include our newly created wifi SSID.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread