+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, Has anyone invested in an iPhone and android app for their school? in Technical; The head hs tasked me with coming up with more inventive ways to advertise the school using technology, has anyone ...
    Thank Post

Has anyone invested in an iPhone and android app for their school?

The head hs tasked me with coming up with more inventive ways to advertise the school using technology, has anyone thought off using or use a smart phone app? What other things do you use to advertise

Thanks for your input.

Thank Post
    I was toying with that idea a few months ago, but due to our design and the code of our site we cant do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    The head hs tasked me with coming up with more inventive ways to advertise the school using technology, has anyone thought off using or use a smart phone app? What other things do you use to advertise

Thanks for your input.
    I think the problem with the whole iphone/android app is what does it do? Ok it's slightly more slicker on it's native devices than a mobile site. But then it's a completely different item to update everytime (unless you're linking it to a mobile site, which then kind of defeats point).

If you're actually going to use it for something that needs those devices, e.g. special QR codes on your school letters blahblah I could get it. Again if you're giving it a full login/access school files etc for students I get it. But as an item just to copy new items from a website, and put into an app?

Guess it depends what you're looking to do with it. If it's just a one off thing I wouldn't bother. If you'll be using it, and updating it regulary, e.g. electronic prospectus, videos from projects/trips, school diary/homework etc I'd say sure sounds good

Steve

Thank Post
    I was thinking it can display school info, contact details maybe even timetables, students parent selects year group etc and it displays their timetable, I am just throwing ideas out there Link it to twitter feed so info pops up

Thank Post
    Ok it's slightly more slicker on it's native devices than a mobile site. But then it's a completely different item to update everytime (unless you're linking it to a mobile site, which then kind of defeats point).
    If done right, the HTML5 app caches itself onto the device and uses local storage to function without internet connectivity, but if connectivity is found then it should grab (for instance) your site's RSS feed and update that into the local storage database... generally whatever generates your RSS feed can be rewritten to provide a JSON feed in parallel. Therefore, update the website, and the app will update itself via the JSON feed once for new content, then run it all locally.

We also hope to leverage our use of Moodle / Parental Logins to use the app to provide access to Timetables, Rewards & Behaviour Info, Attendance, Assessment data etc. This is all readily available via our VLE as it currently stands, so the data behind all that again just needs knocking up into a JSON feed so that the app can update itself as and when there are any changes and add it into local storage.

6. Thanks to Marci from:

Disease (3rd October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread