+ Post New Thread
Netbooks, PDA and Phones Thread, [Free] Android Tablet Management & Sandbox for Schools in Technical; Check out Kytephone. It's my tech start-up that recently released a free app that creates a sandbox on any Android ...

Thank Post

[Free] Android Tablet Management & Sandbox for Schools

Check out Kytephone. It's my tech start-up that recently released a free app that creates a sandbox on any Android tablet that can be managed remotely. The free app allows administrators to manage multiple tablets from a single interface on their own phone, tablet, or computer. Google Kytephone if you'd like to learn more.

If you have any questions or requests post them here. Our business is about giving kids and parents a safe smartphone solution but some schools showed interest in Kytephone on tablets, so we added support for that.

I hope you like it. If you don't, I'd like to know why.

Thank Post
    For an app designed for schools/children I'd be concerned over this:

Collection and Use of Personal Information
    We collect the following personal information from you:
    Your Name, email address, phone number;
    List of contacts which includes a name, phone number and picture;
    Phone activity including location, call log, installed applications*.
    But looks interesting otherwise, sad fully that line would be a killer for most schools I'd think (at least in my opinion)

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    For an app designed for schools/children I'd be concerned over this:

But looks interesting otherwise, sad fully that line would be a killer for most schools I'd think (at least in my opinion)

Steve
    We should clarify that. The email address would be of the person registering the account (teacher or school administrator) *not* of the children using it. For the tablet, there would not be any contacts information or call log stored. The only information relating to the kids would be the apps used.

If it is a main concern for the schools, we could have all the data hosted on their servers.

Thanks for sharing your feedback though.

Thank Post
    So, to confirm:
    * you do not collect children's names
    * you do not collect the children's phone numbers
    * you do not collect their location
    * you do not collect the details and pictures of their contacts, even if they have contacts listed on their devices (we use Google Apps, so pupil tablets would be configured with their school Google account, including address book)

Is that correct? If so, you might want to change the information on Google Play about what you do and don't collect!

Could you also clarify the following:
    * why can the app see what photos the children are taking?
    * why can the app make phone calls and send SMS?
    * why can the app read SMS messages?

The app looks like a really good monitoring tool for parents, but I think it has too many "scary" settings to employ it purely for remote device management. I would have concerns with the fact that you can see all this data; is everyone who could access it CRB-checked, for example? If you could collect the data in some encrypted way so that the school could read it but you can't, that would resolve a lot of the above concerns.

Thank Post
    Hey guys, glad to get your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Could you also clarify the following:
    * why can the app see what photos the children are taking?
    * why can the app make phone calls and send SMS?
    * why can the app read SMS messages?
    Let me shed some context on Kytephone that will answer the above questions:
    Kytephone was originally designed to provide a safe smartphone solution for children, with parental controls such as call & sms blocking and location tracking for the parents. The app creates a new interface (sandbox) on the Android device that prevents children from accessing the regular Android interface. The kids can only access the apps that the parents allow, everything else would be hidden from view.

The parents would create a white list of contacts, so Kytephone would only allow incoming calls & SMS from those contacts, blocking the rest. Note: Kytephone would only store the contacts parents select. Parents can update this white list at anytime from their own phone, and the changes will be instantly synced to their kid's phone. Regarding photos, all photos take by the kids can be instantly viewed by the parents. Parents love this since it allows them see the world through their kids' eyes.

This is the primary use-case for Kytephone - turning any Android phone into a safe smartphone for kids that parents can manage remotely.

Our latest release brought support for Android tablets - this is something parents had asked for. On the tablet, Kytephone's features regarding telephony are not relevant.

So, to confirm:
    * you do not collect children's names
    * you do not collect the children's phone numbers
    * you do not collect their location
    * you do not collect the details and pictures of their contacts, even if they have contacts listed on their devices (we use Google Apps, so pupil tablets would be configured with their school Google account, including address book)

Is that correct? If so, you might want to change the information on Google Play about what you do and don't collect!
    * Kytephone never stores children's name. In fact, Kytephone does not even ask for it.

* Kytephone will never store phone numbers or the details (incl. pictures) of the contacts in the Google's address book. Kytephone *only* stores the contacts (only the name, phone number, photo) the parents allows it store to enable the call / SMS blocking feature. In the tablet case, this does not apply - so the parents/teacher will not allow any contacts to be stored.

* Kytephone will store the last known location as reported by Android. I suppose this is also un-necessary for a tablet, so we can allow the user to choose whether they want this enabled or not.

The app looks like a really good monitoring tool for parents, but I think it has too many "scary" settings to employ it purely for remote device management. I would have concerns with the fact that you can see all this data; is everyone who could access it CRB-checked, for example? If you could collect the data in some encrypted way so that the school could read it but you can't, that would resolve a lot of the above concerns.
    As explained above, Kytephone only stores the selected information that the teachers / parent would allow it to store. They can also disable the photo sync feature as well. The only thing they cannot disable, yet, is the location tracking. However that can easily be modified for the school.

We are happy to customize Kytephone to meet the security requirements of the schools.

Thank Post
    Thanks, that does address a lot of my questions - perhaps it is the generic nature of the permissions descriptions in Google Play which are the issue.

One quite important issue remains in that Kytephone staff (i.e. you!) can see this data too. That raises Data Protection concerns with me.

Thank Post
    Thanks, that does address a lot of my questions - perhaps it is the generic nature of the permissions descriptions in Google Play which are the issue.

One quite important issue remains in that Kytephone staff (i.e. you!) can see this data too. That raises Data Protection concerns with me.
    Kytephone stores less data than Google or Facebook or any other online website or service about its users. Unfortunately some pieces of data needs to be stored for any online service to function correctly. Thankfully with Kytephone, that data will only be used to maintain the service and will not to sold to marketing companies / advertisers.

By the way, Kytephone was recently mentioned in a Forbes article: Parents Need Mobile Device Management, Too - Forbes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytephone View Post
    Kytephone stores less data than Google or Facebook or any other online website or service about its users.
    No doubt true, however there is a vast difference between a child choosing to sign up to Facebook and allow it to collect that data, and the school choosing to force an app on them which collects that data.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread