Double First Engage
We use this system at our school.
I hate it.
Anyway, does anyone know if there's a quicker way of importing new students rather than manually typing them in individually...? Some kind of import from Excel?? Doesn't seem to be...
Did I mention I hate it?
I think you did mention that yes.
I work at a school in the Middle East and we were one of the first adopters of Engage in the region and I feel your pain, or at least our registrar does. We have probably reported and discovered more bugs than anyone else and have built up a bit of a rep with their support as we are in communication daily.
As far as I am aware no there is no way to import kids yourself, if you are talking about a migration from another MIS this was fully handled by Double First when we made the cross over from Phoenix which at the time wasn't supported for migration so they had to write it from scratch for us.
On a side note about Engage, is it just me or does this still feel beta-ish to you? Our latest issue has been with the timetable module, after being told that there was no timetable it couldn't handle, we threw 15 minutes lessons at them and discovered that there is apparently a 20 period cap on it. Who knew? haha
Having seen your post I am obviously concerned at your comments. We have many schools as well as the major schools groups (UK and International) using Double First Engage, so I would be keen to know exactly what the issues are about which you have concerns.
Do please feel free to contact me either by email or mobile. I assure you we will investigate the issues thoroughly and report back to you.
Piers du Pre
Double First Chairman
m 07971 171 171
May I make some comments regarding your post, please?
First, I agree that you and your Bursar found more 'bugs' and 'feature requests' than any other school since Engage was launched which certainly took us by surprise. However, I would like to think that we supported you tirelessly through each of the issues, making frequent visits to the school as well.
We recently learnt of further issues the Registrar was having. However, since then we have been advised those specific issues have been redressed. Is this not the case?
Regarding the Timetable, our own research (and that of the timetable experts we employed at the time) never suggested 15 minute lessons may ever be required. Hence, it wasn't planned for and the upper period limit was set at 20. But I believe your Bursar is now working on another potential scenario which may be possible.
Once you are able to use our Timetable, or indeed TimeTabler from Keith Johnson which fully integrates with Engage, you will benefit from,
1. All classes, staff, rooms and pupils only have to be entered once
2. Timetable draws from the curriculum models already set up in Engage. This means that one set of curriculum models serves the timetable, assessments and attendance – one point of maintenance
3. The timetable creation is seamlessly linked to the timetable printing system, meaning that individual pupil timetables and room, staff and subject timetables can be created.
4. The timetables can been seen in the staff, parent and pupil portals
5. The timetables can be used to set lesson plans
6. The timetables are used to set staff cover
7. There is a locate pupil and locate staff option that show where the person is right now, or at any time/date in the future
8. A facility to 'Find a Free Room or Staff Member'
As I said to Tom in my previous reply, do please feel free to contact me either by email or mobile.
Piers du Pre
Double First Chairman
m 00 44 7971 171 171
Your team have very kindly contacted me to see if we can look into making the process potentially more efficient - for which I am very grateful and impressed.
Thanks for being so responsive and willing to help - much appreciated.