Replacing old SIMS server
I am fairly new to Edu Geek, so hello to you all.
Our SIMS server falls out of its hardware support agreement fairly soon, thus we are looking at purchasing a new server. I have received all quotes, but have a few queries in regards to installing/configuring the new server.
Our current SIMS server is a DC called sims-001 in the sims.internal domain. I would like to put the new server in and have it called sims-001, so therefore no .ini files will need to be changed on any workstation, and no share mappings will need to changed, etc. Our SIMS support team are happy to do the SIMS migration, but I wanted to ensure that the server would be all setup, correctly, by the time they come to do the SIMS migration.
So I think the question is, would this be a possible order to complete the new SIMS server install in?
1. Install Widows 2003 onto the new server
2. Rename sims-001 to sims-002
3. Connect new server to network
4. Name new server as sims-001 and add it to the domain
5. run dcpromo to add it as a DC
6. Transfer FSMO roles to sims-001
7. Use Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 to transfer shares and their permissions from sims-002 to sims-001
8. run dcpromo on sims-002 to remove it as a DC
This will be done during the first week of the summer holiday, so the down time of SIMS isn't an issue.
If I am completely way off with the procedure, please let me know. Any feedback would be great.