Alternative Reporting Tools
Does anyone have any ideas for alternative reporting tools I can present to management?
Currently we have a homebrew system in place and it is a far from ideal solution for the following reasons:
1) Data is exported from SIMS so it is immediately out of date and not live.
2) Data has to be altered to a CSV file with specific column names and merged with more SIMS data before upload.
3) After uploading, data held in the system such as teacher names has to be updated to correctly assign reports to staff.
4) All these processes take a very long time due to intensive checking of the data and mistakes still fall through the cracks!
5) The program has some major flaws making it difficult to use that I can't go into on here.
I've already given the most ideal suggestion of Options and Learning Gateway to my manager, but the current system is free and hand-coded by our IT Director (who holds the SIMS budget instead of my boss). Showing a 4 figure price tag in a proposal will need a fair bit of work to achieve.
What options have I got and how do I recommend alternatives before we are stuck with this for the 2010 reporting requirements? We were looking at doing reports in Assessment Manager (initially as a backup system due to reliability issues with the homebrew last half-term) but then teaching staff cannot do their reports at home.
And guidance for putting proposals forward would help too please. :)