Move to SQL 2012 - help with higher performance server spec
Due to the requirement to upgrade to SQL2012 for Sims I am also looking at purchasing a new server to run sims on (our old one is 4 yrs old now).
Our current Sims Server
Windows 2008 R2
Dell Poweredge T310
1 x Intel Xeon X3460 2.80GHz (4Core/8Thread)
136GB 15k SAS Raid1 OS Drive
136GB 15k SAS Raid1 Sims Folder, SQL Install and Docstorage Drive
Concurrent users - upto about 100+ (70-80 teachers doing registers etc, 20+ office staff running reports, inputing data etc)
The CPU usage on the sqlservr.exe can fluctuate but is often around 50-80% for most of the day. It can also max out when running complex reports, deleting students etc.
I will be looking to spec a dell server (our dell servers have always been reliable but if anyone can recommend any others please do) as a new replacement but have a few questions if anyone has any input.
1) Which OS should I go with? Windows 2008 R2, Windows 2012?
2) I have read on Edugeek where people recommend having the sims.mdf and tempdb.mdf on seperate hard drives. Would this make a big difference? (Our current tempdb.mdf is only 172mb?)
3) If I am to seperate all the data how should this be done? For Example 2 Disk Raid1 OS Drive, 3 Disk or 4 Disk Raid5 or Raid10 drive for sims.mdf, 3 Disk or 4 Disk Raid5 or Raid10 drive for tempdb.mdf. Where then would the docstorage go? And what size server will fit that many drives in!
4) Is it sensible to go with 2 x CPUs? If so would you only purchase Full SQL 2012 for one CPU or both? (Cost will go up)
5) How much ram? (Our present one seems to just eat all available ram)
6) Recommended number of network connections (will 1 x 1Gb be enough - or does more help?)
Anyone have anything else they think might be relevant - my main aim is to build a server that has much better performance than the one we have presently and doesnt crawl when we have everyone registering and doing reports.
Also I can understand that it might be suggested to virtualise the server (but due to us moving into a new school in sept 2014, moving to 1:1 tablets for sept 2014 and a new VLE I dont think I will have time to add in learning about
Thanks in advance :D