What would you recommend for creating staff/student timetables?
We use SIMS Independent for primary schools, but don't have the timetabling module. I was wondering if anyone would recommend using it, or could recommend an alternative? My brief is:
- each day is divided into timed slots, up to 16 in a single day, on a 1 week rollover. We need to vary the slot structure, depending on the year group.
- each subject can be taught to a year, a class, or a defined class set
- each student in a class, or defined class set, is allocated set number of taught hours per week, across all subjects
- each student in a class, or defined class set, is allocated set number of taught hours per week, per single subject
- each student has the same teacher for all periods of a single subject
- define the set subjects a teacher can teach (different per teacher)
- define the set periods a teacher is available to teach (different per teacher)
- define the set periods of non contact time (different per teacher)
- define rooms, and allocate those rooms to a timeslot
- setting of general preferences, eg. no maths for any class before lunch
- ability to identify teacher free periods, to enable providing cover
- the timetables will be remade every term
Ideally we want something that will either sit on our SIMS, or take an extract, and then automatically timetable according to these predefined rules, with the ability to fine tune afterwards. The information doesn't have to feed back into SIMS, we just need it for printouts.
Not asking for much I know! I would be very grateful for any feedback.