Thanks, I have done all that and I have now imported one set of exam results from 2009. Unfortunately, while they show up correctly when I open the marksheet for the correct group of pupils when I open an individual pupils assessment results it shows my newly imported results as being on the 1st March when i imported them - rather than 6th june 2009 when they sat them. Can you tell me what i have done wrong? I couldn't see anywhere on the result set to fix a date for the results - there was one on the exported marksheet, but as that part was read only I couldn't change it.
A resultset isn't usually fixed to a particular date, it's a general idea of the time, at least that is the common usage. e.g. Y8 Term 1, could be a different date for kids of different ages.
It will always use the result date you imported as the result date, but you should be able to ignore this. What you have probably found is that it looks like it's a present result due to having a current date on it. You should still on the import spreadsheet have a row for the result date which you can modify to push the results into the past. It shouldn't be read only. Worst case on import it should be editable by right clicking on the date, but it takes much longer to do it one at a time there.