+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Accessing Sims.NET via iPADS, iPHONES & MAC Books in Technical; As usual, goal-posts move and now they've decided they want staff with Apple devices to be able to access Sims.NET ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Accessing Sims.NET via iPADS, iPHONES & MAC Books

As usual, goal-posts move and now they've decided they want staff with Apple devices to be able to access Sims.NET data whilst in school.

What do I need to make this happen other than a magic wand and the will to live?

Is it correct that we need a Sims.NET Terminal Server setting up? Licences? Other expenses from Capita?

Many thanks for any input.

Thank Post

3. 2 Thanks to arthur231283:

speckytecky (9th August 2012), tech_guy (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Arthur with many numbers is spot on. However, we looked into this and ended up comparing The SIMS offering with Bromcom's Teachers Web Folder Bromcom - Teacher's WebFolder there is a side by side chart somewhere which displays exactly what each system brings.

Thank Post
    Pretty well the whole of SIMS will run unaltered and very well on iPads under Citrix. The autumn release of SLG improves the "touch" experience for teachers using iPads. Then there is SIMS Emerge.

6. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

speckytecky (10th August 2012), TheScarfedOne (9th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Best options, either 3rd part software like Bromcom web folder, Citrix or through a Terminal Services session.

8. Thanks to Achandler from:

speckytecky (10th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Citrix XenApp provided a nice seamless experience to Mac users where I used to work... of course I already had the infrastructure.

10. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Thank Post
    have had experience with bromcom and can honestly say it gave me nothing but headaches when the bromcom system would not keep up to dates with the sync of SIMS.net
    Have recenty started using Groupcall Emerge and its brilliant, easy to get set up and add users and devices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcchord17 View Post
    have had experience with bromcom and can honestly say it gave me nothing but headaches when the bromcom system would not keep up to dates with the sync of SIMS.net
    Have recenty started using Groupcall Emerge and its brilliant, easy to get set up and add users and devices.
    mccford17, seems you don't have much idea of what you are talking about and have probably never used Bromcom, and to be honest look like fake advertising.

Bromcom webfolder writes directly into the SIMS database when you make a change, therefore it is instant (well milliseconds).

I have no problem with honest opinions but outright lying is wrong.

13. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Emerge here, it works, but has less features than the full blown sims.
    Still a waste of money in my opinion.

Thank Post
    have plenty of idea of what i am talking about, had to put up with bromcom for 10 years before we got rid, never gave me anything but trouble. No fake advertising or lying here just giving my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    mccford17, seems you don't have much idea of what you are talking about and have probably never used Bromcom, and to be honest look like fake advertising.

Bromcom webfolder writes directly into the SIMS database when you make a change, therefore it is instant (well milliseconds).

I have no problem with honest opinions but outright lying is wrong.

16. Thanks to mcchord17 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcchord17 View Post
    have plenty of idea of what i am talking about, had to put up with bromcom for 10 years before we got rid, never gave me anything but trouble. No fake advertising or lying here just giving my experience.
    You're thinking of WinFolder (or maybe one of the other bolt-ons they do) which basically has a independent database - I believe the idea was to help schools avoid paying Capita £££££ for lesson monitor licesense - Achandler is talking about WebFolder. When I worked in a school WinFolder was alright, but yes, it did break but they did fix it remotely. WebFolder from what I hear is better, it's writes directly in the SIMS database rather then to it's own database then sync's with SIMS, but it's not without it's problems. Still support appears to still be pretty good from what I hear these days. Only real issue I've heard is that it'll be nice if you could fix it yourself rather then having to rely on them.

18. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

JohnCondon (14th August 2012), speckytecky (10th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You're thinking of WinFolder (or maybe one of the other bolt-ons they do) which basically has a independent database[/COLOR]
    I suspect that, given the timeframe mcchord17 quotes (over ten years) that he may even be talking about our standalone registration product that was available before SIMS even went SQL.
    However the software has developed far beyond those halcyon days.
    CAPITA SIMS provide access to the same interface objects that they themselves use, in order for third parties to develop their own applications. This is where WebFolder SD comes in.
    Thus the WebFolder SD product will suffer "none" of the synchronisations issues that mcchord17 remembers.

John

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    @tech_guy - what did you end up with?
    if you're still choosing, try and get demos from different companies. depending on what the staff member is expected to do, will influence which method you use. Emerge is a great dedicated app, but is limited to taking registers and adding behaviour, but that's not a limitation if that's all you want.
    Citrix should give you the full desktop experience, but logmein will also which is free, it's just not easy to control.
    bromcom is good and also has other features like editing marksheets and writing comments. similar can also be done with TASC software.
    SLG will be expensive overkill unless you want sharepoint and also to use it for parents / students.

21. Thanks to vikpaw from:

tech_guy (28th August 2012)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks for the advice. No decision yet as I have to brief the powers that be - once they stop moving the goalposts - as to the best solution for our needs. I'll update when I can.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Make sure that when you brief, you define which goalposts go with each solution, they'll all be different anyway

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread