+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS general SQL error after server move in Technical; Morning all... Have just moved SIMS and FMS to a new server. Now have FMS running successfully on 2 machines, ...
    yjb
    Thank Post

FMS general SQL error after server move

Morning all...

Have just moved SIMS and FMS to a new server. Now have FMS running successfully on 2 machines, but I get an error when logging on with a 3rd:

General SQL Error.
    [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]SQL Network Interfaces: Server doesn't support requested protocol[xFFFFFF]

I thought it was an FMSconnect.ini issue, but have used the same .ini file from the other working machines to no avail.

Logging on as the admin on the same PC I get no errors, FMS works fine, suggesting a permissions issue, but user has same permissions as other users.

I did notice that when I ran odbcad32, in the native client configuration, the SQL server in the drop down box seems to switch back to the old SQL instance (ADMIN_YJB\SIMS2008) after I have selected the new instance (YJB-MIS\2008) and saved.

Any ideas how I can fix this - do you thing an uninstall/install of FMS on the machine to start fresh would be the answer?

TIA! Dave.

Thank Post
    Want my advice, reinstall FMS normally to make sure all the bits get installed.

Then if you still have a problem (this is my favorite solution for FMS) copy the whole folder from a working FMS installation and replace the one on the broken machine. This fixes more FMS bugs then any other fix, I usually use the admin c$ share to grab a working installation.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

yjb (2nd November 2012)

yjb
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    ...reinstall FMS normally to make sure all the bits get installed...
    Seems silly to ask but what is the best way to do this, there is no KB on Support Net.

I'm assuming it's a bit of a task to do a 'leave no trace' uninstallation of FMS.

Thank Post
    I find most Capita installers are a bit meh.

I would re-run the original installer over the top, this will check for parts of FMS missing, such as the infrastructure or the BDE module etc. Once you know these bits are installed , then try copying a working FMS folder in the place of the "none-working" current one and test.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yjb View Post
    Seems silly to ask but what is the best way to do this, there is no KB on Support Net.

I'm assuming it's a bit of a task to do a 'leave no trace' uninstallation of FMS.
    FMSInst.exe in the Setups\FMS folder.

Thank Post
    Is it Win7 machine?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    @yjb:

It could be the lockdir permissions, as you have stated it works for the admin user, it will probably be the BDE config that requires changing on each workstation that has FMS running on it.

This requires a central folder to which the users have the appropriate permissions creating on the Sims server called "lockdir" then, on each workstation which you intend to run FMS from, go on as local admin and configure the BDE from the administration console, you will find this at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\Bde\bdeadmin.exe

This will open up the console window, in here under the configuration tab click the plus next to Drivers then again for he Native and then click on the Paradox, in the right hand side you will see NET DIR, point this to the folder called lockdir on the server which you created earlier.

Then click the plus next to System and click INIT, in the right hand side you shouldsee LOCAL SHARE and a value of False, change this to true and then close the window, save config if asked and then try FMS.

Good luck and don't forget also that FMS requires a default printer attached to each machine it is run from.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    This requires a central folder to which the users have the appropriate permissions creating on the Sims server called "lockdir" then, on each workstation which you intend to run FMS from, go on as local admin and configure the BDE from the administration console, you will find this at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\Bde\bdeadmin.exe
    NO, NO, NO!!! This should be pointing to local C:\ProgramData\FMS folder, go wash your mouth out with soap!

Thank Post
    @matt40k:

I have ran it like this for as long as I can remember and have had no problems whatsoever, this was the information given to me by Capita through our LA MIS team to which I have the original documentation.

This has been commented on before and as far as I am aware quite a few people use this config.

Unless someone from Capita tells me otherwise then I will carry on using this config.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @matt40k:

I have ran it like this for as long as I can remember and have had no problems whatsoever, this was the information given to me by Capita through our LA MIS team to which I have the original documentation.

This has been commented on before and as far as I am aware quite a few people use this config.

Unless someone from Capita tells me otherwise then I will carry on using this config.
    By your logic, my original documentation about moving SIMS tells me to install MSDE (SQL 2000), and I should be install MSDE onto my shinny server, shall I install that onto my shinny new server? I don't think so. It's time you ask for more update documentation which will say run FMSINST or use SOLUS3 rather then do this, the change that and hammer this until it fits.

Thank Post
    @matt40k:

Here is the original document from my MIS team: FMSBDEconfig.jpg

This is what I have worked from for the past 8 years and have had no problems whatsoever.

Thank Post
    That's got references to when it was SQL Anywhere!!

To quote the Capita release notes - which personally isn't great...

Moving the NET DIR Location
    In the BDE, sharing of data between more than one workstation is controlled by the Pdoxusrs.net file. All workstations operating on the
    same data should not point to the same file.

yjb
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    ...copy the whole folder from a working FMS installation and replace the one on the broken machine. This fixes more FMS bugs then any other fix, I usually use the admin c$ share to grab a working installation.
    This was a while ago now, but just wanted to say that Achandlers suggestion worked a treat, thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread