+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, sims infrastructure update in Technical; afaik there's the windows components, the fonts and a program to delete pre dot net components. the first two bits ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

sims infrastructure update

afaik there's the windows components, the fonts and a program to delete pre dot net components. the first two bits are ok. but the pre dot net stuff. I think we might have some laptops/workstations that had pre dot net sims on, but im not prepared to check all 100ish of them just to find a few. there must be another way to do this. if there are some files I can check for in the login script I can automake a list of computers that need doing. incidently what happens if the files dont get removed?

Thank Post

Re: sims infrastructure update

Not sure if you already know this but there is a utility that can check for you but im not sure if its viable for the network tho as it is suggested that its done manually.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by browolf
    afaik there's the windows components, the fonts and a program to delete pre dot net components. the first two bits are ok. but the pre dot net stuff. I think we might have some laptops/workstations that had pre dot net sims on, but im not prepared to check all 100ish of them just to find a few. there must be another way to do this. if there are some files I can check for in the login script I can automake a list of computers that need doing. incidently what happens if the files dont get removed?
    we are in the same situation, i am trailling a few msi makers to hopefully save walking to all the pc's and workstations.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i dont know how good that would be, the trouble is its an installer to delete files. different machines may need different files deleting...

Thank Post

I have started the process manually using lanview to save valuable time as we migrate to sql 2005 next week.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by projector1
    I have started the process manually using lanview to save valuable time as we migrate to sql 2005 next week.
    Next week? 8O

Cool, please keep us informed as to how it's going. Being Capita of course, the whole thing will go without any hitches I'm sure.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by browolf
    i dont know how good that would be, the trouble is its an installer to delete files. different machines may need different files deleting...
    You could presumably create an MSI which would delete all the files which might be on the PCs, and then run that - if it comes to a file which for some reason isn't on a specific PC then it will just move on to the next file.

I'm dreading the Autumn update - I wonder if anyone would notice if I stopped doing SIMS upgrades.... :-)

Thank Post

I have had to create a silent installer for the SIMS Infrastructure Update and have turned up something interesting in the process.

It appears that the .NET 2.0 is not included in the package. Yes, I know that .NET 3.0 includes .NET 2.0, but this cannot be used to install on Windows 2000, which is why the .NET 2.0 should be there. I'v

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully used the Infrastructure Update to update a Windows 2000 Pro PC and has positively identified .NET 2.0 as having been installed.

It's not a particular problem for me or the sites I support, but if it is the case that the update does not do what it says on the tin, it raises concerns over the quality of the testing that the package received.

If anyone is interested, I can PM them breakdown of exactly what is in the package and how to extract the individual files. This makes silent installation a lot easier!

Thank Post

I was under the impression that the installer would execute not matter what OS your running on and kick off the .net2 install then move onto the .net3, at which point it would fail if you were only on 2000 but leave .net2 installed.

Of course i could be wrong, not actually tested it myself.

Thank Post

I've now had a confirmation from my post on the Capita support net (from a user, not Capita themselves) that the currently available version of the SIMS .NET Infrastructure Update does not appear to contain the .NET 2 installer required for Windows 2000.

Thank Post

It's official. The current SIMS .NET Infrastructure Update download does not include the .NET 2.0 installer. There is a thread on the SupportNet Technical forum entitled 'Infrastructure Update - .NET 2 ??' with details.

UPDATE: SupportNet link

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That link doesn't work for me.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    It's official. The current SIMS .NET Infrastructure Update download does not include the .NET 2.0 installer. Thread on SupportNet is here if anyone is interested: SupportNet
    Unless I'm mistaken, Capita no longer support Win2K so I would be surprised to find Win2K installers in the updates...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NickJones
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    It's official. The current SIMS .NET Infrastructure Update download does not include the .NET 2.0 installer. Thread on SupportNet is here if anyone is interested: SupportNet
    Unless I'm mistaken, Capita no longer support Win2K so I would be surprised to find Win2K installers in the updates...
    Then you are mistaken, but not by much. Capita are effectively ending support for Win2K clients in Feb '08. The Infrastructure Update is supposed to include the .NET 2.0 update however.

@Geoff: Thanks for that. I'll edit the post.

Thank Post

Does that mean that schools with win 2K servers will be forced to upgrade?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast