+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, How do you update FMS in Technical; hi guys, im quite new to FMS, i have been supporting SIMS for a while. However i'm helping a school ...

Thank Post

How do you update FMS

hi guys, im quite new to FMS, i have been supporting SIMS for a while. However i'm helping a school who are without IT support remotely for a short period of time. They are on a older version of FMS and apparenty need to have FMS update. They seem to be on the latests version of SIMS, is the setup folder shared? if i remote on at lunch can i do a DB upgrade?

i recall going to 'update and run solus' in April and it showed no updates for SIMS or FMS, would that indicate they have no licence ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    -added SIMS tag to thread title-

Thank Post
    sorry long time lerker, not a posted, will read up on the rules

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Updates for FMS are released by whoever provides their SIMS support. So, if it is an LEA team, they would need to release it. However, they will only be able to do this if the school has been paying for FMS support (as it pays for upgrade licenses).

If you have the infrastructure in place for SIMS.net updates and they work, then FMS will update the same. You just need to run SOLUS on the server to get the FMS update and the clients will auto-update.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

jimlad (3rd July 2012)

Thank Post
    interesting, as i don't think the updates are coming via solus, as i had to swap the setup files when i updated SIMS, which i maybe should not have done if they indeed don't have a SIMS licence. I will call the school and check when i get a min (im just helping a teacher friend)

I know they don't buy into any SIMS and FMS support anymore, but perhaps they are unaware that they *could* be unlicensed.

However amusing they are, am i correct and thinking if they have the very latest SIMS setup folder they will just need to run DBupgrade then on the FMS side?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlad View Post
    interesting, as i don't think the updates are coming via solus, as i had to swap the setup files when i updated SIMS, which i maybe should not have done if they indeed don't have a SIMS licence. I will call the school and check when i get a min (im just helping a teacher friend)

I know they don't buy into any SIMS and FMS support anymore, but perhaps they are unaware that they *could* be unlicensed.

However amusing they are, am i correct and thinking if they have the very latest SIMS setup folder they will just need to run DBupgrade then on the FMS side?
    If they don't pay any support, they aren't entitled to new versions. They will have a license for whatever they had up to the point of stopping paying.

If they use SIMS.net for their main MIS, that means that they will not be getting updates for the Census returns and means they won't be able to return the data easily...

I can't comment on how to do a manual update, as you've indicated they aren't paying for licensing! It'd mean I was advising you how to break copyright rules...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If they don't pay any support, they aren't entitled to new versions. They will have a license for whatever they had up to the point of stopping paying.

If they use SIMS.net for their main MIS, that means that they will not be getting updates for the Census returns and means they won't be able to return the data easily...

I can't comment on how to do a manual update, as you've indicated they aren't paying for licensing! It'd mean I was advising you how to break copyright rules...
    sure i understand your position, i am indeed in the same boat, just helping a friend and now i certainly feel bad updating there SIMS in May eeeeeeeek. my last email from my teacher friend was they are getting licences direct from capita. However with nothing showing in solus since they left in April i suspect that may not have been done.

*just to confirm* i'm not looking to break any laws

i will get back to them and tell them to call capita?

i presume they will still get solus updates for both once they have resolved or purchased the correct licences ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Yep, they should get it all released to them via SOLUS once they are paid up. Then SOLUS will run the upgrades for them, assuming they are on a recent enough version. They may need to download an older setup if they are too far behind, but that's probably not likely.

You can run dbupgrade to run files in the setups folder, but that setups folder is populated by either the update CD from Capita or via downloading the update through SOLUS.

In order to run the update, you need to login with FMS credentials. If you're just helping out a mate, this is a very risky position to be in. You shouldn't want access to their system and they certainly shouldn't be giving it out. They need to look into how they are being supported. If need be, at least get approval from Head / Bursar and go on site so they are aware of what you are doing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Yep, they should get it all released to them via SOLUS once they are paid up. Then SOLUS will run the upgrades for them, assuming they are on a recent enough version. They may need to download an older setup if they are too far behind, but that's probably not likely.

You can run dbupgrade to run files in the setups folder, but that setups folder is populated by either the update CD from Capita or via downloading the update through SOLUS.

In order to run the update, you need to login with FMS credentials. If you're just helping out a mate, this is a very risky position to be in. You shouldn't want access to their system and they certainly shouldn't be giving it out. They need to look into how they are being supported. If need be, at least get approval from Head / Bursar and go on site so they are aware of what you are doing.
    yes very true, thank you for the info guys. I have just sent them an email, saying i can't help any further until they resolve or show proof of licencing, i work for myself and don't want to get involved if they have no licence, i feel bad for updating them to the spring release!

cheers again guys

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread