+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Can't attach new blank SIMS database in Technical; Hello Just installing a test SIM server with SQL. When I run the SIMS server setup, it gets to the ...
    Thank Post

Can't attach new blank SIMS database

Hello

Just installing a test SIM server with SQL. When I run the SIMS server setup, it gets to the dbattach part and tries to attach the blank database. At this point it fails miserably with the attached error. Although it does crunch away for a minute and creates the actual database in SQL if you look in SQL manager.

I am using integrated windows authentication as I do not know the SA password. The Administrator password (and who is currently logged on) is a complex 10 digit mixed password. The password policy for the domain is 6 characters despite the error. If you notice I leave the username/password fields blank when running the dbattach routine and it does connect to the SQL instance that way. If I put a username or password in it doesnt accept it.

Any ideas? I'm really beginning to loose my rag with this but I need to know how to do it. Installing SIMS server just seems like a big "shut up" with Capita unless you're willing to pay rediculous sums of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

Re: Can't attach new blank SIMS database

Hi TeddyKGB

My name is Jonathan Wood and I am the new SIMS Product Manager for Technical Products and Releases.

Its my understanding that only the SQL System Administrator username/password can be used in DBAttach.

If you are unhappy with the service you have had from Capita regarding your query then please email me the case number and I will investigate.

Regards,
    Jon

SIM Product Manager (Technical and Releases)

Thank Post

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forums and thanks for your input

When you talk about the SQL system administrator password, are you referring to the "SA" account in SQL or the actual Windows administrator password of the SQL server? (Terms which seem to be used interchangeably in SIMS documentation but are fundamentally different things) :?

All I need is the SA password that is included in the blank SIMS database that ships with the SIMS install. I have tried all the obvious ones.

I am not having a go at you Jonathan but given Capita's reluctance to help out here (OK - I can understand why but there are some very competent sys admins out there) my efforts will be better spent learning about SIMS myself rather than depending on Capita

Thank Post

Hi TeddyKGB,

I was talking about the SA account in SQL itself. i.e. when you installed SQL Server you were asked to input a password for the SA account. this is the password you will need.

The SA login is not linked to an individual database and therefore not related to the SIMS database itself. i.e. we cannot inform you of the SA password for the blank SIMS Database because that concept does not exist, only the concept of the main SQL Server itself having one.
    The team/person who installed/maintains the SQL Server should know this.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Jon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread