+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Measuring Teacher Performance in Technical; So I've settled into my job here after six months, but now am being asked to create something to measure ...
    Thank Post

Measuring Teacher Performance

So I've settled into my job here after six months, but now am being asked to create something to measure teacher performance by the classes they teach, and the results that come out of them. I've thought of using marksheets to do it, but it seems that it will be a rather large project, and take a decent amount of time to set up - and then will have to be compiled down in Excel.

So, prior to doing all of that, I thought I'd come ask you fine folks if any of you do this, and how you get around the clunkiness of assessment manager to do so?

Basically, for years 9 and 10 I have measure their TA from the fall against their Estimated GCSE in the summer (and then subtract 5.2/2.6 points from it) to get an idea if the student learned more, less, or just what they should have over the course of the year. 11, 12, 13 is a bit easier, as there are exam results to measure against, which I presume I'll get from Exam Manager (I've only been in this role for 6 months).

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I feel like I'm being thrown into the deep end.

Thank Post
    I'm not an expert in this area but I'm pretty sure that Performance Analysis will do everything you need - it's part of the Assessment Manager suite. Discover is also able to do a fair bit of this too and more is due later this year.

3. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

tombry (22nd June 2012)

Thank Post
    Providing useful information about individual teacher performance is an interesting and, of course, a sensitive subject. The methods used need to be robust if judgments are to be made about individual teacher performance.

The approach described, i.e. to examine differences from estimated grades, is of interest but it is important to make sure there is only when variable when making comparisons; i.e. the effect of the teaching. In this case there may be variability in the estimated grades, unless they are strictly determined on the basis of prior attainment.

Watch out too for the effects of setting. The Fischer Family Trust provides useful data that can be used to remove the effects of comparing different ability sets, or different subjects.

The issue here is Within School Variation - the variability of provision between different teaching groups. Tackling this subject has proved to be difficult for school leaders, yet it is estimated that removing such differences can improve standards by up to 10%.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 23rd June 2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I'm not an expert in this area but I'm pretty sure that Performance Analysis will do everything you need - it's part of the Assessment Manager suite. Discover is also able to do a fair bit of this too and more is due later this year.
    So I'm going to have a play today - I looked at Progress Grid, which seems to measure some of it, but I'm guessing what I'm going to want to use is Aspect Analysis for the TA/Est GCSE marks.

Thanks for the guidance, as it looks like it should simplify the huge task of trying to use the normal marksheets to do the work. I may come back with some more questions if you don't mind, but you've at least put me on the right track.

Mike,

Thanks for your little blurb too - I'll google up 4Matrix later and have a look at it, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the tools available to me in SIMS, let alone bringing a third-party software package into the mix.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    Mike,
    Thanks for your little blurb too - I'll google up 4Matrix later and have a look at it, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the tools available to me in SIMS, let alone bringing a third-party software package into the mix.
    Thanks Tombry. It is worth taking a look at what additional tools are available and deciding on which provide the school with the tools and approaches that it needs in order to make a difference. The value of data lies in what it gives rise to, and it would be surprising if one system gave you all you need. SISRA is another data system that is worth looking into.

A problem is that schools may think they are doing good things with data, but unless they see the work of other schools that really are at the leading edge in this respect they may not see the need to improve what they do.
    Aston Academy would be an example of a school that gained an outstanding judgement for leadership based on its use of performance data, and which was showcased by the SSAT. There are many more examples.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 23rd June 2012 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Unauthorised Advertising

Thank Post
    When evaluating teacher performance, I always promote the maxim: "Data analysis allows you to ask the correct questions, it does not make a judgement"

Not 100% sure that everyone I give the data to follows this, judging by the number of, how can I make my data look better for my SLT link questions I get.

I currently pump the data out to excel as the SIMS assessment and performance packages do not cut the mustard at present. I am evaluating 4Matrix to see if it can cut down on my delivery times as it does some cool stuff nice and quickly.

Thank Post
    One major issue here is the large number of variables, most of which cannot be controlled. As sample size becomes smaller (comparing within one school rather than between schools, for example), small random factors have greater effect on measured differences. Generating data is relatively straightforward; interpreting it well needs some statistical expertise. As posted earlier in this thread, the data should enable questions to be asked; using the data alone to make judgements would be pretty rash, I think.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I don't think the data will be used for making judgements, just as a general indicator of student progression through the school. It's giving me fits though, as there hasn't been a data manager running the school's SIMS in at least two years - and the guy that has been handling the marksheets has so many aspects created that are worthless, finding the ones that hold the data I want is an utter pain. Add to that doing each teacher in the school, and it's really annoying me.

Thank Post
    Totally empathise, been building from scratch due to the same issues. It is taking forever! Not much help I know, just thought i'd let you know you are not alone.

Are you registered with the Capita Forums. I have found them really helpful for ideas & feedback.

I am concentrating on keeping things simple for now & ensuring that I use aspects with result sets, then using colour coding formulas in marksheets to show progress against target & 3LP.

Everything else is exported to excel & worked out there until my SIMS System is properly configured. Long job

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread